Home button is faulty

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by kkleintank, Jun 26, 2016.

1. kkleintank
    OP

kkleintank Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 26, 2016
    United States
    I have a new Nintendo 3ds xl, and I originally opened it to clean the contacts of the d-pad. After many trial and errors, I got it all back together and working as far to this point.
    There is a very small ribbon connector for the home button. Two I think actually. I had the same problem that goes onto the top screen, but I anchored it down with electric tape. Because the ones for the home button are on the edge of the board,it's hard to anchor them well. I've tried numerous times with electric tape and some cardboard and other things to try and apply pressure to the connector.
    I'm considering getting conductive glue, that dries up without heat.
    Is there something else I can try instead of jumping to glue and potentially ruining the ribbon cable?

2. Swiftloke

Swiftloke Hwaaaa!

Jan 26, 2015
    United States
    Nowhere
    Return it to Nintendo, I wouldn't have bothered really.

3. Omegadrien

Omegadrien GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Nov 4, 2015
    France
    Pokéland
    But your 3ds will be on 11.0.... for sure.

4. Swiftloke

Swiftloke Hwaaaa!

Jan 26, 2015
    United States
    Nowhere
    I'm about to completely blow your argument out of the water.
    Ready?

I don't think this guy has a problem with hardmoding.

5. Smynos

Smynos Member

Newcomer
    Oct 29, 2015
    Australia
    I had the same problem on 4 N3DS XL after a hardmod was done (not by me BTW).
    The problem is that the ribbon cable from the home button no longer has a good contact in the zif connector.
    The zif connector seems to be a common problem on the N3DS. Look like very poor quality to me.

I solved this using advice from this thread: https://gbatemp.net/threads/repair-new-3ds-home-button.390507/
    I did the solution from the last post with the paper inside the zif connector.

I had to do this with the zif connector for NFC (amiibo) too.
    When you have opened this zif connector too than you should check if NFC still works.
    The zif connector for NFC is the on above the game cartridge slot.

Omegadrien and LittleFlame like this.
  6. Omegadrien

Nov 4, 2015
    France
    Pokéland
    ........ Indeed! :rofl2: Yep! If the 3ds is under warranty, go Nintendo! Else, don't... because prices are... X_X

7. Dayfid

Dayfid GBAtemp Regular

Apr 19, 2014
    Canada
    Except they opened the console and voided their warranty already.

8. Omegadrien

Nov 4, 2015
    France
    Pokéland
    But if Nintendo didn't notice that the 3ds was opened. ................................................................................. :rofl2:

9. Farian

Farian superuser

Mar 30, 2016
    Norway
    Northern Hemisphere
    I don't think warranty is voided by opening the console. That would seem a bit silly.

10. TerryG

TerryG GBAtemp Regular

Sep 14, 2009
    United States
    Ever noticed the "Warranty void if seal is broken" type stickers on electronics? They're usually covering a case seam or screw hole. It's not that silly, manufacturers have been doing it for decades.

11. Farian

Farian superuser

Mar 30, 2016
    Norway
    Northern Hemisphere
    Hm, now that you mention it, you have a fair point there.. Though the 3ds doesn't have one afaik. Besides, a video game console which can become dirty or dusty on the inside should be cleanable without voiding warranty, especially when it has a life of 6+ years.

12. Dayfid

Dayfid GBAtemp Regular

Apr 19, 2014
    Canada
    So they just won't notice the Electrical Tape OP used to hold things in place?

13. Omegadrien

Nov 4, 2015
    France
    Pokéland
    It was a joke (that why I have put a laughing emoji). To be honest, i think they will notice it.

14. vb_encryption_vb

vb_encryption_vb That hardmod guy....

Nov 21, 2015
    United States
    Acworth, GA
    The zif connectors are friction based. Chances are you lifted the zif, now it dont hold proper pressure.

15. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    If the device is designed to be user serviceable, like for example a desktop PC, sure. But that's not the case with game consoles and especially handhelds. The 3DS has a lot of fragile ribbon cables and letting users open up their consoles would be asking for trouble. Anyway since it has no fans or air vents it would be unlikely to get dusty on the inside. The only reason anyone would open up their console while it's still under warranty would be to hack it which is something they don't want people doing, so it would seem pretty suspicious if they received a console that had been opened :P

Last edited by The Real Jdbye, Jun 26, 2016
    Farian likes this.
  16. Farian

Farian superuser

Mar 30, 2016
    Norway
    Northern Hemisphere
    Alright, I give in :)

17. kkleintank
    OP

kkleintank Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 26, 2016
    United States
    It was out of warranty. And it would have cost me 181.00 for Nintendo to open it up. Which is basically buying a new one anyways.