Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Let's see, it's a portable, electronic encyclopedia on any subject known to man (and several better left unknown), it's written by anyone with enough free time and any knowledge on the subject (or none whatsoever), and despite the fact it has many omissions and contains much that is apocryphal, or at least wildly inaccurate, it's more popular than the Encyclopedia Britannica. Now if only it were black and had "don't panic" written on it in large friendly letters, this thing would be the Hitchhikers' Guide, as described in Adams' books, down to the very last letter.

It even has an entry on the Pan-Galactic-Gargle-Blaster.

wikireader-hands-00.jpg

Official website.

The device features a monochrome touch screen, an 8GB microSD card, and contains Wikipedia. I've seen it called "wireless" by clueless news reporters, but it doesn't mean it supports any mode of wireless data transfer, it just means there are no wires. Not even a charger: it runs on AAA batteries. Two AAA batteries will power it for a year, according to the manufacturers. Even with a wide and generous margin of exaggeration, that's a lot.

The price is $99, and for $30 you'll get two "updates" per year, in form of a new microSD card, delivered to your door. I think you get to keep the old one. Provided they're not read-only, $30 will get you two 8GB miniSD cards, plus some additional fluff you could download yourself anyway.

It's also entirely open source, so expect a flood of homebrew, but considering the nonexistent processing power, the "flood" will probably consist of an e-book reader, a calculator and a Tetris clone. You'll probably also be able to transfer any kind of Wiki database on it too, so you can take the M3 wiki on the road with you. Or the Uncyclopedia.

Now to find someone to start working on the Babel fish, and we're all set
gbasp.gif

Any comments along the lines of "my phone can do that" or "lol buy a EEE/Palm/whatever" are predictable, expected and completely unnecessary. If that's all you have to say on the topic, feel free to keep it to yourself. Here, I said it already. No need to repeat it.

Kalisiin

Trophies
Website
www.kalisiin.com
XP
Country
United States
That's cool.

Wonder if they allow user submitted entries...ala the Urban Dictionary?

I looked up some things in the Urban Dictionary that cracked me up so hard it was unreal.

Of course, my best ENTRY into the Urban Dictionary...well, that cracked me up, too. Let's not give the word...just the definition I supplied...

"You've heard the phrase...first you say it, then you do it? This is when first you DO it, THEN you say it."

Other entries under the same word included..."...in other words, to gamble and lose."

I laughed my assets off. It would be cool if this device allowed for similar Urban definitions to be added/included.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it had Encyclopedia Dramatica and Urban Dictionary it would be awesome.

The constant stream of 8GB SD cards is enough to get me interested. I mean, the encyclopedia stuff is pretty cool, but Wikipedia has articles on almost anything and I can look up Wikipedia via my computer/Wii/DS. Still, having a small gadget like this can be every useful for school and research and things among that. Why slave in front of a computer when I can do my research in my palm?

Captin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sounds like a nice gadget to carry about.

You dont have to pay for the updates as they let you download them for free from their web site.

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If there's no wireless, updating through Sub-Etha would be harder...

Now if only there was a DS app like the guide (like DSwiki), with animations like the hand-drawn ones they had in the series...
smileipb2.png

Shinryuji

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Looks pretty awesome, and in comparison to the Kindle, it's like £100 cheaper and it seems to be the same size as a tamagochi (I wonder if you can put it on a keyring).
AWESOME!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Not a lot, just relaxing