1. abel009

abel009 GBAtemp Regular

Mexico
    is it me or marcan thinks he know more than Nintendo?
    Seriously, he sound like he knows more than the creator.

Marcan wouldn't be famous if little Ninty hadn't created the wii.

Posts merged

Posts merged

He is a pirate as all we are

2. Helsionium

Helsionium Alpha and Omega

Austria
    Sorry if this has been posted, didn't find it yet...

From hackmii, a message apparently addressed to some users at our place:

3. sprogurt

sprogurt GBAtemp Fan

XD love their rants! but seriously only a few countries see homebrew as illegal and tbh who actually cares? you aren't making money from other people's work so it's morally ok. (i'm not a lawyer XD just had to read up a few things before i started coding for ds)

4. Takeshi

Takeshi GBAtemp Addict

Germany
    I really love the cry-baby picture. It's the best fitted description for marcan's rants I've seen so far.

5. bin01

bin01 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Without backups/wads Marcan and his HBC wouldnt be that famous as they are as of now.

6. abel009

abel009 GBAtemp Regular

Mexico

7. ften

ften GBAtemp Regular

Bulgaria
    I find that interesting too. Five pages of comments here and there are about five comments on the article page itself that aren't Marcan and IceFire. And unless I'm really special, which I'm not, comment are still enabled on the article.

-FTen

8. xfcrowman

xfcrowman GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Hey there Marcan. You can complain as much as you want about piracy but the truth is that you opened the door for all the softmodders with your work. If your team had carefully distributed your software to fellow homebrewers that do not pirate we wouldn't be having this discussion. Regardless of your opinions, by releasing your exploits to the public you have allowed pirates to do whatever they want and it is completely out of your control. Why are you at all surprised that the Big N tries to shut down the twilight hack? Any exploits that you discover and release publicly will inevitably help the pirates. You can complain as much as you want but the Wii hacking scene is much larger than you - you and your team have absolutely no control over what goes on anymore.

PS - If you have anything to say to the folks at GBAtemp, quit being a coward and start posting here

9. sgwiiboy

sgwiiboy GBAtemp Regular

Take a look at the article called "Hi there Nintendo" which unsuprisingly is what started this thread and is what I am referring too and tell me how many comments there are for it?

Also at the time I posted the "Comment" article was not there

10. carbonyle

carbonyle GBAtemp Fan

Swaziland
    Just for nearly everyone: Stop shooting at Marcan. He try to work and I'd like to see on day bootmii (!!!) I don't agree 100% with him and the same for Icefire. And for all other who never do anything for the scene (like me to be honest), I think it's not OUR problem. So Let's everyone work, hack or anything else!

11. icefireicefire

icefireicefire GBATemp Fails.

United States
    My applications are no longer illegal, and can create legal channels. So whats the issue?

12. sgwiiboy

sgwiiboy GBAtemp Regular

Well I'm not in the US but my Wife is a barrister, so I'll trust her legal knowledge over Marcan if that's OK?

13. icefireicefire

United States
    Wait, I don't do anything for the scene [​IMG] ?

14. OriginalHamster

OriginalHamster UStealthy

Cote d'Ivoire
    Well, Nintendo always manage to do very strange things, I will not jugde the company engineers, because we DON´T know Nintendo´s priorities.

For instance during Freeloaders time, Nintendo was more worried about stop the region free Wiis than stop modchips... why? who knows, maybe they realized that Freeloaders were more popular than modchips, in their more importants markets (R4 Japan).

Couldn´t be the same situation here? They go behind HBC because it´s more "well known" than specific apps for HBC, like BackupLaunchers, cIOS, etc... so far fetched it sound.

So if you aren´t a Nintendo insider you probably never know about the company interest to kill this or this.

Their more prolific markets were unaffected by "mass scale softmod piracy", the same goes with WiiWare/VC games, heck if the WiiShop were a pirate paradise, why companies like Hudson, SquareEnix, NamcoBandai, Tecmo, SNK, still burning their monies on it?

15. sgwiiboy

sgwiiboy GBAtemp Regular

I have a First Class Honours Degree in Computing and to be honest, I don't think for second that I know more about Wii apps and mods than Marcan or the other Twiizers.

Yes he has done some great things in homebrew but that does not make him immune to criticism. If he is acting twat, people are perfectly entitled to tell him so.

16. mastergatuno

mastergatuno Member
    Newcomer

Brazil
    I just think wii are a few Wii players who knows to hack.
    Most people don't go after this and keep buying their "Barbie and Hanna Montana in Dance History" or Wii Fit (I seriously think this game is stupid =X If I need to act stupid I don't need to spend money for that) for $300 and don't care about other players.

17. carbonyle

carbonyle GBAtemp Fan

Swaziland
    Ok ok i just re-read my post and see i "mis-write" (i'm not a native english speaker) so Icefire: yes YOU work a lot for the scene that is not the problem and i really don't want to say th opposite!
    My post was just to "calm down" the game. I mean video game are for the fun nope? the aim of the wii is to play and be happy no? hombrew allow us to do more with it for more pleasure. So we need poeple like Twizler team, waninkoko, , wiigator, Icefire, Crediar, .... but we doesn't need "hacker war"

18. wolffangalchemist

wolffangalchemist This is bat country!

United States
    [​IMG] meh....
    this has happened how many times now?
    i really don't care anymore, and neither should any of you.
    just let the man RAGE he is gonna do it anyway.

19. EriktheRed

EriktheRed Member
    Newcomer

United States
    I don't understand all the hard feelings towards Marcan. He doesn't come on here and tell us how evil piracy is, he just says he doesn't want to be involved in it so please leave him out of any piracy conversations. Seems reasonable enough, but people still go on his site/channel and ask thinly veiled questions about how to pirate.

Maybe he comes across as a dick sometimes, but has anyone here worked customer service type jobs? There's only so many times you can take the same people asking the same question worded differently before you get a bit burnt out and want to throttle the jerk. At least he has the decency to vent on his own space instead of smearing people on an unrelated site like people are doing to him here.

So maybe nobody on this thread has ever personally disrespected Marcan by trying to get him to help with piracy despite his wishes to be involved, but it only takes a couple assholes to ruin someone's impression of an entire group. I know this happens to me a LOT in my job at a help desk. It's unfortunate, but that's just human nature.

Resorting to all the ad hominem attacks against Marcan in this thread will only reinforce his view of GBA Temp as a bunch of whiny, disrespectful pirates. Try debating him on the merits of your arguments instead of saying that he started homebrew so anything that happens that he doesn't approve of makes him a hippocrite. That'd be like flaming the mods here for prohibiting posting or even linking to illegal files. Like him or not, Marcan is one of the mods on hackmii, so treat him as such.

Lastly, please stop TRYING to piss him off with all these baseless attacks on his character. He's a bit eccentric and so are we. I'd like to see an open release of Bootmii as soon as possible, and distracting Team Twiizers with petty bullshit like this isn't going to help that happen. Just accept the fact that he and Bushing have made THE MOST significant contributions to Wii homebrew and agree to disagree on your philosophical differences. There's a place for system hacks and piracy discussion and a place for homebrew with minimal system modification discussions. Just remember which place you're at when you're talking and we can all benefit from each others' knowledge.

20. icefireicefire

United States
    Actually, segher discovered the trucha bug/wrote most of the TW hack, so I would credit him with a lot of it too [​IMG].

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Nintendo,