Hacking Hi there Nintendo

Keeley

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
thou i really love the hombrew channel and all, but i really don't like marcan, he just seems to have a "different feeling" floating around him, ( it would maybe change if i knew him better but i just don't like his brags and such but thats just my optoins

vladus2000

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bin01 said:
I think i talk in the name of GBATEMP when i say SHUT UP MARCAN

For better or worse marcan is a big part of all the wii hacks we enjoy today. He is also anti-pirate for reasons a lot of us do not understand. Please do not give him more of a reason to either stop making hacks all together or to actively start combating pirates. He has a valid point in calling out how nintendo dropped the ball on this as far as stopping hacks. Leave the guy be, let him rant in peace so he can get back to making cool stuff for us all.

Mark McDonut

GBATemp's Resident Ghostbuster
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Team Twiizers didn't make the homebrew channel for piracy. Period.

I've stood back over the past year and watched everything go down with pointless flamewars across numerous boards and even chose not to register on some due to their inane bitching showing me I don't want to be a part of it.

Not one of you speaking ill of marcan would react any differently if you were bugged like a motherfucker about stupid piracy related shit left and right from day to day in what is supposed to be an IRC coding channel but started turning into a "let's try and trick a dev team into helping us pirate then get butthurt when we get banned" channel, and thinking rewording something is going to get by a bunch of guys who succeeded in cracking a fucking RSA encrypted game system.

This thread is completely fucking retarded. Maybe team twiizers and marcan wouldn't be so pissed off about piracy if everyone would have left them alone instead of bugging them for tech info to code fucking iso loader drivers.

And the worst part is their stance the entire time is that they really really don't give a shit about piracy so leave them the fuck alone about it, but people are STILL getting thrown from their boards and channels.

Instead of being butthurt, stop using their tools, don't post on their boards, find your own exploits, code your own loaders, or YOU shut the fuck up.

Shit like this is the reason why homebrew development always falls short of what it could be.

I mean, what's in it for them to keep helping us? I'm surprised we haven't been told to go fuck ourselves already. I know I probably would have.

And I have no affiliation with anyone. I'm just a guy hoping a bunch of shitheads don't ruin everything for those of us who know not to act like an asshole.

Reactions: TheTechRobo

icefireicefire

GBATemp Fails.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Personally, I understand bushing's anti-piracy reasoning perfectly well
smile.gif
. I don't understand marcan (or his opinion towards me) at all. The only thing I did was make a custom channel creator, that used his nandloader (I didn't even know, and it doesn't anymore). Why he dislikes me so much is still an unknown to me.

Gabo

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Personally, I believe Marcan probably pirates as much as the next hombrew user. He just puts on this anti-piracy act to cover his own butt. Recently I can tell he's pissed off at Nintendo because obviously they look right past his so called "ethics" as any idiot knows hbc is the root of all evil.

Still, you have to admire his perserverance. Respek!

Knocks

Trophies
XP
Country
Mark McDonut said:

I've stood back over the past year and watched everything go down with pointless flamewars across numerous boards and even chose not to register on some due to their inane bitching showing me I don't want to be a part of it.

Not one of you speaking ill of marcan would react any differently if you were bugged like a motherfucker about stupid piracy related shit left and right from day to day in what is supposed to be an IRC coding channel but started turning into a "let's try and trick a dev team into helping us pirate then get butthurt when we get banned" channel, and thinking rewording something is going to get by a bunch of guys who succeeded in cracking a fucking RSA encrypted game system.

This thread is completely fucking retarded. Maybe team twiizers and marcan wouldn't be so pissed off about piracy if everyone would have left them alone instead of bugging them for tech info to code fucking iso loader drivers.

And the worst part is their stance the entire time is that they really really don't give a shit about piracy so leave them the fuck alone about it, but people are STILL getting thrown from their boards and channels.

Instead of being butthurt, stop using their tools, don't post on their boards, find your own exploits, code your own loaders, or YOU shut the fuck up.

Shit like this is the reason why homebrew development always falls short of what it could be.

I mean, what's in it for them to keep helping us? I'm surprised we haven't been told to go fuck ourselves already. I know I probably would have.

And I have no affiliation with anyone. I'm just a guy hoping a bunch of shitheads don't ruin everything for those of us who know not to act like an asshole.

Nintendo cares even less about homebrew than marcan and his crew care about piracy. So maybe it's marcan who should stop bugging Nintendo and challenging them to contact him about security holes and all the other ridiculous bullshit. Nintendo is an awesome Japanese company with plenty on their plate and they're not going to let some prick dictate them what to do. He challenged them openly, and that's why they're trying to shut down his shit. Why are you surprised? And I hope people continue to contact him about piracy because Homebrew Channel is a gateway to piracy. Oh, you didn't know that emulators compete directly with Nintendo's business? Stop being a fucking hypocrite and admit that you're just as much of a pirate as everybody else.

sgwiiboy

Trophies
XP
Country
muzz said:
I find it funny that everyone is saying all of this here and not within the comments for the article itself. If you feel so strongly tell him yourself although I'm sure he'll see it here anyway. Maybe it's just me but I didn't get the same vibe from that posting. I saw it more as razzing nintendo. Just my two cents.

I went to Hackmii to post my comments. If you take a look, Marcan has disabled the option to reply and he clearly is not prepared to talk about it there so I had to post here.

sgwiiboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Mark McDonut said:

I think you are missing the massive hypocrisy and arrogance being shown by Marcan.

Firstly, no one owns a copy of Nintendo's firmware, it's granted on licence. You own the hardware only. Anyone turning on their Wii for the first time enters into the EULA, so anyone with a Wii has agreed to the terms. Modifying, in any shape or form, is strictly prohibited. Marcan and Co have ignored the EULA by exploitation of the Twilight Hack. Not only have they exploited it though, they have made it available to anyone who wants it. They have not kept it between themselves or within a closed circle of Homebrew enthusiasts. On top of that they frequently try to get in Nintendo's face about it all the time. So when you consider that they have broken the EULA, put the hack in the public domain and seem to desperately want to annoy the Big N, it's no surprise Nintendo have looked to stop the Twilight hack working. It could be worse for all of us though..... Nintendo have the right to disable the firmware on any Wii that has been modified in any way, so I think he shouldn't try and annoy Nintendo any further.

Secondly Marcan is a huge hypocrite. Emulators are freely available via Wiibrew and the Homebrew Browser. Emulators are no different to the backup loaders they so hate. Unless of course you believe that anyone using them actually owns all the original cartridges of the games they play. So in a way, they are supporting piracy of VC titles. If however you think that people are only emulating their own cartridges then you also have to believe that anyone using a backup loader is only doing it with discs they already own.

Finally, take a look at his blog, he hates piracy right? Wants nothing to do with piracy? If he hates it sooooo much, maybe he should remove the f-ing adverts on his site about "How to copy Wii games", "Copying Wii", "Wii Chip Service" and "Burning Wii Games". People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

If he going to be such a huge hypocrite, he has to accept that people are going to call him on it.

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If he uses Google ads then it's not his fault those things appear. They try to give results based on the content of the webpage and come up with some interesting things sometimes. Ads that display stuff against the rules on GameFAQs pop up all the time. It's kinda funny, really.

The rest of your arguments make sense enough, but I had to point that out.

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
I really don't care about the endless debate bewteen hacking/piracy, everybody should be able to decide what he think is wrong/right to do and has the right to tell it to the world, there is absolutely no hypocrisy in that stance

the only thing I don't like in marcan's rant is the way he always feel SO superior than nintendo...
it really seems like he's frustrated not being recognized for his "so much better than everyone else" talent... speak about ego here

there is something he maybe doesn't realize: without nintendo engineers, he would not be playing with the wiimote hardware or plugging stuff to the internal bus to analyse the Wii hardware
without Nintendo software engineers, he would not have that fun to disassemble and analyse BOOT stuffs and IOSes mechanism

we never heard libogc authors bashing against the official devkit, do we ?

let's face it: nintendo gave a sense to his loosy life, he should bless them instead of bashing them everytime they show some lacks of knowledge in software security... as if they cared about him

sgwiiboy

Trophies
XP
Country
FenrirWolf said:
If he uses Google ads then it's not his fault those things appear. They try to give results based on the content of the webpage and come up with some interesting things sometimes. Ads that display stuff against the rules on GameFAQs pop up all the time. It's kinda funny, really.

The rest of your arguments make sense enough, but I had to point that out.

The point is he doesn't have to use google ads. If he was that against piracy he would remove google ads that are linking to piracy.

fishears

fishears
Trophies
Website
code.google.com
XP
Country
I think Marcan just needs to get a big hug from Satoru Iwata, or at least a pat on the back. Or maybe Reggie Fils-Aime could ruffle Marcan's hair in a "good boy" kind of way. I bet that would make him feel better. He seems to crave their acknowledgment of his achievements.

sgwiiboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Jacobeian said:
I really don't care about the endless debate bewteen hacking/piracy, everybody should be able to decide what he think is wrong/right to do and has the right to tell it to the world, there is absolutely no hypocrisy in that stance

WTF are you on about!? No one gets to decide what they think is right or wrong.

If Nintendo disabled my firmware because I used the Twilight Hack, there is nothing I can do to make them enable it again because I have breached the terms of the licence that I agreed to, so I don't get to decide what is right or wrong. It is wrong to modify the Wii system full stop and even though I have decided to do it doesn't change the fact..

I also don't get to decide whether it's OK to pirate Roms, Isos, Wiiware or VC. I can decide to do it but I cannot decide if it right or wrong because it is wrong. It is against the law and if I was taken to court about it, I can't use "I decided it is Ok" as a defence!!!

Mark McDonut

GBATemp's Resident Ghostbuster
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Knocks said:
Mark McDonut said:

Nintendo cares even less about homebrew than marcan and his crew care about piracy. So maybe it's marcan who should stop bugging Nintendo and challenging them to contact him about security holes and all the other ridiculous bullshit. Nintendo is an awesome Japanese company with plenty on their plate and they're not going to let some prick dictate them what to do. He challenged them openly, and that's why they're trying to shut down his shit. Why are you surprised? And I hope people continue to contact him about piracy because Homebrew Channel is a gateway to piracy. Oh, you didn't know that emulators compete directly with Nintendo's business? Stop being a fucking hypocrite and admit that you're just as much of a pirate as everybody else.

Emulators have been around and are around and even have dedicated systems that do nothing other than emulate multiple systems (gp2x, gp32, pandora) and they're allowed to exist alongside the legit consoles so that argument is total bullshit. Your fucking computer is an emulator. Team twiizers didn't make the homebrew channel to run "emulators" they made it to run something called "code" and last time I checked, they weren't the babysitters of other peoples' code. Like I said before this whole argument is bullshit and if all of you have such a problem with marcan, don't use the shit he makes or read his blogs. You may not like what he has to say, but who fucking cares, deal with it. He bitched me out before about some shit and I didn't get all butthurt, I just accepted his opinion and although I might not have shared the same opinion, I respected it and didn;t give him any more shit about it.

Everybody needs to stop fucking crying about marcan's attitude. It's such a retarded subject.

fishears

fishears
Trophies
Website
code.google.com
XP
Country
Mark McDonut said:
Emulators have been around and are around and even have dedicated systems that do nothing other than emulate multiple systems (gp2x, gp32, pandora) and they're allowed to exist alongside the legit consoles so that argument is total bullshit. Your fucking computer is an emulator. Team twiizers didn't make the homebrew channel to run "emulators" they made it to run something called "code" and last time I checked, they weren't the babysitters of other peoples' code. Like I said before this whole argument is bullshit and if all of you have such a problem with marcan, don't use the shit he makes or read his blogs. You may not like what he has to say, but who fucking cares, deal with it. He bitched me out before about some shit and I didn't get all butthurt, I just accepted his opinion and although I might not have shared the same opinion, I respected it and didn;t give him any more shit about it.

Everybody needs to stop fucking crying about marcan's attitude. It's such a retarded subject.

The fact that emulators have been around for a long time and you can buy systems that emulate does not stop them being illegal. If you are unsure on this point then I suggest you take a look at Nintendo's legal standpoint here.
If Marcan "bitched you out", as you put it, and you just shrugged it off then why is this topic getting to you so much? Shrug it off and move on.

mousex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
icefireicefire said:
Personally, I understand bushing's anti-piracy reasoning perfectly well
smile.gif
. I don't understand marcan (or his opinion towards me) at all. The only thing I did was make a custom channel creator, that used his nandloader (I didn't even know, and it doesn't anymore). Why he dislikes me so much is still an unknown to me.

This is from the #Hackmii IRC
QUOTE(#Hackmii IRC @ Jan 24 2009, 21:47 AM)21:47:17 SquidMan: it's not dislike of information sharing.
21:47:24 it's dislike of channels.
21:48:18 it's also dislike of people like icefire who distribute illegal channels and tools for them
21:50:19 heh, yeah, I guess
21:50:30 I understand you hating people like icefire
You are simply helping all the people creating illegal channels.

ajd4096

Trophies
XP
Country
sgwiiboy said:
Anyone turning on their Wii for the first time enters into the EULA, so anyone with a Wii has agreed to the terms.

I didn't accept the EULA - my cat did when I was out of the room. (It took 3 days, dammit!)

Joey90

Not around any more
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
fishears said:
I suggest you take a look at Nintendo's legal standpoint here
I think everyone here should take a good look at that.

Although I am not telling you that you should stop using emulators and stuff (like I could do that) it clears up a lot of misleading information that people think they know.

Especially relevant:

QUOTECan I Download a Nintendo ROM from the Internet if I Already Own the Authentic Game?

There is a good deal of misinformation on the Internet regarding the backup/archival copy exception. It is not a "second copy" rule and is often mistakenly cited for the proposition that if you have one lawful copy of a copyrighted work, you are entitled to have a second copy of the copyrighted work even if that second copy is an infringing copy. The backup/archival copy exception is a very narrow limitation relating to a copy being made by the rightful owner of an authentic game to ensure he or she has one in the event of damage or destruction of the authentic. Therefore, whether you have an authentic game or not, or whether you have possession of a Nintendo ROM for a limited amount of time, i.e. 24 hours, it is illegal to download and play a Nintendo ROM from the Internet.

mcj

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I admire the work marcan, wanininakokoloco, WiiGator, and all the other "hackers" have done on the Wii on their own time and dime. Just like I admire those that work on xbox, dreamcast, playstation and nds mods, flashcarts and whatever else.

But marcan needs to get off his high horse and stop with the 'You naughty naughty Pirates' and 'Silly Nintendo' rants. Piracy is here, in all shapes and forms, and doesn't look it's going away for awhile. Instead of bitching about it, just continue to delete the comments on your site that mention it. You said it yourself that there are other forums to talk about it. Ok, you've said it now move on. Continue your work however you want.

You are not a god among Wii programmers/hackers/etc. You're good, I'll give you that and I respect your work. But enough is enough.

And it's time you people stop making him out to be one.

That's my 2 cents
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over