Website
facebook.com
XP
Country
Canada
Copypasta from Hackmii:

Hi there Nintendo
March 26th, 2009 by marcan · No Comments

Good job trying (again) to kill PatchMii and forgetting to overwrite cIOS. In case you don’t know, that’s IOS249 (not IOS254), and it’s what all the VC/WiiWare pirates use, as well as the softmod pirate’s choice of IOS, as it includes DVD read patches. It’s also what they’re using to patch your update now so they can enjoy SD launching of pirated titles. Good job.

Hint: If you worked on screwing up piracy instead of blocking homebrew, you might have a better chance at stopping it. And you know that we aren’t going to help the pirates, don’t you?

This was also your last chance to get rid of some piracy before the release of a NAND backup/restore solution. You blew it.

What do you think of the "release of a NAND backup/restore solution"?

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
I love all marcan's rant.... so much fun to read

note that he's clearly telling nintendo to fuck off CIOS... as if they weren't already aware of that

long Life to BootMii now

edit: he should be proud, nintendo is clearly aiming all his attention to twiizer actions, it's because they KNOW that anything else could not have been done without their work and without the ability to run code via the Twilight Hack. Their priority was clearly the root of all things and now it's done... they probably don't care if a few people are still using CIOS to pirate stuff (I wonder how many we really are) , all the newcoming Wii are now homebrew-proof and automatically piracy-proof

OriginalHamster

UStealthy
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
It blows my mind how an average n00b -like me for example- is aware of the headaches of the IOS249, Nintendo really sucks in spy more deeply in the scene.

drmarvin

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I sure hope that means BootMii is coming soon. Then at least if we update, we can always fix, even if Starfall/Preloader are screwed.

I still haven't done the update, but it doesn't really matter yet since I don't have an SDHC card yet, but I'll need to soon with all the GHWT/RB2 DLC.

Long live updates that give more features, and long live the hackers that make the improvements even better.

magic12

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Croatia
C'mon man, how many Wii users use sofmod Marcan, how many Wii users use modchip?
Shame on you Nintendo, how come you allow 500 people to use sofmod.
Please Nintendo do something to stop this mass madness.
Make them all buy modchips.

Miles

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And whats stopping hackmii from making a block of sorts to stop piracy themselves?
If they really hate piracy that much they should just be vigilant and fix a problem THEY created.

jinxvorheeze

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
magic12 said:
C'mon man, how many Wii users use sofmod Marcan, how many Wii users use modchip?

What would be the point of that? You were forced to buy a modchip so everyone else should be too? I have a chipped Wii and a Wii with a Softmod and the chip is much easier to manage, but not everyone can afford one. Not everyone has ethe know how, or lives in an area where people provide the service to install a chip. For those people, the lessened abilities of a softmod are perfect.

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If they wanted to hackmii could kill piracy incredibly quickly (or at least put a nice size dent) especially with the release of bootmii. That said, I don't think Marcan and the others plan on going that route... I believe they are of the mindset that Nintendo needs to police their own hardware though they have gone out of their way to help them do so. Providing them with the information needed to stop softmods before they were even released and basically being told by nintendo "We don't need your help."

magic12: I guarantee you more than that use softmod for booting backups and even more use it for pirating VC/wiiware (since modchip users can only do so by that means)

All that said... nintendo doesn't seem to be trying to stop piracy completely, just to prevent people in the future from taking advantage of it... which I don't think is the smartest on nintendo's part since as long as some people can update and still have full access to the console they can reverse anything new they do. Look at the PSP community as an example.

geishroy

Suspended
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
magic12 said:

you believe that only 500 softmod?
though i don't think the numbers are insanely high i'd think there are much more than that.
if 1% of the total wii population softmods that's still a shit ton.
even then i don't think it's that high, but still.

magic12

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Croatia
geishroy said:
magic12 said:

you believe that only 500 softmod?
though i don't think the numbers are insanely high i'd think there are much more than that.
if 1% of the total wii population softmods that's still a shit ton.
even then i don't think it's that high, but still.

number 500 is just a figure of speech

jinxvorheeze:
what are you talking about?!?

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FenrirWolf: Only if you installed it to another slot BEFORE the update. You need IOS249 (or at least some IOS with the trucha bug still intact) to install any wads/ios not officially nintendo signed. If Nintendo releases an update that has all IOS patched, including 249 it'd be impossible to then install a new IOS to replace it.

That is why it's imperative that people read about updates before doing them because if such an update DID occur it would be possible to go around them that way.

sgwiiboy

Trophies
XP
Country
temper-tantrum.jpg
pram.jpg

Sorry to Team Twizzler but they opened the door to all this and what they have done through exploiting, using and distributing the Twilight Hack goes againt the EULA. Despite this they are now annoyed at Nintendo for not allowing them to easily modify a copyrighted firmware anymore. Bad Nintendo, how dare you!

Lets be clear, it's obvious why they filled the Twilight "hole". It's because............... without it there would be no Starfall, no Preloader, no cIOSCORP, no Gamma etc etc etc etc. It's the logical step to take. They could have tightened up IOS249, but leaving the door open to the Twighlight hack would have meant that sooner or later another work around would be found. Removing the problem at source is far easier than than trying to fix multiple problems that will just keep coming back.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1