Hi there Nintendo

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Dr Eggman, Mar 26, 2009.

Mar 26, 2009

Hi there Nintendo by Dr Eggman at 3:51 PM (7,634 Views / 0 Likes) 84 replies

1. Dr Eggman
    OP

Member Dr Eggman I am THE Eggman.

Canada
    Copypasta from Hackmii:

Hi there Nintendo
    March 26th, 2009 by marcan · No Comments

Good job trying (again) to kill PatchMii and forgetting to overwrite cIOS. In case you don’t know, that’s IOS249 (not IOS254), and it’s what all the VC/WiiWare pirates use, as well as the softmod pirate’s choice of IOS, as it includes DVD read patches. It’s also what they’re using to patch your update now so they can enjoy SD launching of pirated titles. Good job.

Hint: If you worked on screwing up piracy instead of blocking homebrew, you might have a better chance at stopping it. And you know that we aren’t going to help the pirates, don’t you?

This was also your last chance to get rid of some piracy before the release of a NAND backup/restore solution. You blew it.

What do you think of the "release of a NAND backup/restore solution"?

2. phertiker

Newcomer phertiker Member

United States
    Heh, yeah.

Marcan rules.

3. lolsjoel

Member lolsjoel GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Sounds like BootMii will be released before the next sysmenu update.

4. Jacobeian

Member Jacobeian GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Cuba
    I love all marcan's rant.... so much fun to read

note that he's clearly telling nintendo to fuck off CIOS... as if they weren't already aware of that

long Life to BootMii now

edit: he should be proud, nintendo is clearly aiming all his attention to twiizer actions, it's because they KNOW that anything else could not have been done without their work and without the ability to run code via the Twilight Hack. Their priority was clearly the root of all things and now it's done... they probably don't care if a few people are still using CIOS to pirate stuff (I wonder how many we really are) , all the newcoming Wii are now homebrew-proof and automatically piracy-proof

5. Scolor

Member Scolor GBAtemp Regular

Italy
    When marcan says these things, he makes me happy! XD

6. OriginalHamster

Member OriginalHamster UStealthy

Chile
    It blows my mind how an average n00b -like me for example- is aware of the headaches of the IOS249, Nintendo really sucks in spy more deeply in the scene.

7. drmarvin

Member drmarvin GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    I sure hope that means BootMii is coming soon. Then at least if we update, we can always fix, even if Starfall/Preloader are screwed.

I still haven't done the update, but it doesn't really matter yet since I don't have an SDHC card yet, but I'll need to soon with all the GHWT/RB2 DLC.

Long live updates that give more features, and long live the hackers that make the improvements even better.

8. magic12

Member magic12 GBAtemp Regular

Croatia
    C'mon man, how many Wii users use sofmod Marcan, how many Wii users use modchip?
    Shame on you Nintendo, how come you allow 500 people to use sofmod.
    Please Nintendo do something to stop this mass madness.
    Make them all buy modchips.

9. Miles

Member Miles GBAtemp Fan

United States
    And whats stopping hackmii from making a block of sorts to stop piracy themselves?
    If they really hate piracy that much they should just be vigilant and fix a problem THEY created.

10. jinxvorheeze

Member jinxvorheeze GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    What would be the point of that? You were forced to buy a modchip so everyone else should be too? I have a chipped Wii and a Wii with a Softmod and the chip is much easier to manage, but not everyone can afford one. Not everyone has ethe know how, or lives in an area where people provide the service to install a chip. For those people, the lessened abilities of a softmod are perfect.

11. Justin121994

Member Justin121994 Bitcoin. coinbase.com/andrew

United States
    Does anybody here know if gt:wt or rockbad 2 dlc now support sdhc because of the firmeware update?

12. koji2009

Member koji2009 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    If they wanted to hackmii could kill piracy incredibly quickly (or at least put a nice size dent) especially with the release of bootmii. That said, I don't think Marcan and the others plan on going that route... I believe they are of the mindset that Nintendo needs to police their own hardware though they have gone out of their way to help them do so. Providing them with the information needed to stop softmods before they were even released and basically being told by nintendo "We don't need your help."

magic12: I guarantee you more than that use softmod for booting backups and even more use it for pirating VC/wiiware (since modchip users can only do so by that means)

All that said... nintendo doesn't seem to be trying to stop piracy completely, just to prevent people in the future from taking advantage of it... which I don't think is the smartest on nintendo's part since as long as some people can update and still have full access to the console they can reverse anything new they do. Look at the PSP community as an example.

13. geishroy

Member geishroy GBAtemp Fan

United States
    you believe that only 500 softmod?
    though i don't think the numbers are insanely high i'd think there are much more than that.
    if 1% of the total wii population softmods that's still a shit ton.
    even then i don't think it's that high, but still.

14. mousex

Member mousex GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
  15. magic12

Member magic12 GBAtemp Regular

Croatia
    number 500 is just a figure of speech

jinxvorheeze:
    what are you talking about?!?

16. LHCO

Newcomer LHCO Member

Brazil
    you believe he can do the twilight hack working again? via save?

17. FenrirWolf

Member FenrirWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Even if Nintendo blocks the IOS249 slot one day, can't you just install it somewhere else?

18. koji2009

Member koji2009 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    FenrirWolf: Only if you installed it to another slot BEFORE the update. You need IOS249 (or at least some IOS with the trucha bug still intact) to install any wads/ios not officially nintendo signed. If Nintendo releases an update that has all IOS patched, including 249 it'd be impossible to then install a new IOS to replace it.

That is why it's imperative that people read about updates before doing them because if such an update DID occur it would be possible to go around them that way.

19. FenrirWolf

Member FenrirWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    That's why I'm staying on 3.2. Just one backdoor might not be enough one day.

20. sgwiiboy

Member sgwiiboy GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Sorry to Team Twizzler but they opened the door to all this and what they have done through exploiting, using and distributing the Twilight Hack goes againt the EULA. Despite this they are now annoyed at Nintendo for not allowing them to easily modify a copyrighted firmware anymore. Bad Nintendo, how dare you!

Lets be clear, it's obvious why they filled the Twilight "hole". It's because............... without it there would be no Starfall, no Preloader, no cIOSCORP, no Gamma etc etc etc etc. It's the logical step to take. They could have tightened up IOS249, but leaving the door open to the Twighlight hack would have meant that sooner or later another work around would be found. Removing the problem at source is far easier than than trying to fix multiple problems that will just keep coming back.