ROM Hack Hi, I would like to ask for a little guidance.

Winner_Is_You

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I recently began to develop an interest in DS ROM editing and hacking for the sake of one game; Megaman ZX. In the US release, Capcom removed all Japanese dialogue spoken during the text and also removed mission briefings. Because I'm crazy, I have gotten the urge to do whatever it takes to get the original voiced dialogue back onto an original cart with English text.

The thing is, I'm really new to this subject, as in out-of-the-box fresh. I'm willing to get the hardware (eventually) and the software needed it's just that I'd like some hints from some of the veterans of this subject. Help would be appreciated and I'd be very thankful if someone could provide a guide that I can use to learn this subject.

If prior knowledge is a prerequisite and no one can help me without me knowing first, or this editted ROM can't be put onto a real game cart, let me know please. Thanks in advance!

kenghot

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.kenghot.com
XP
Country
Thailand
hi,
For me, I started hack Nds , and FF3 translate is my first project and it completely done. Nds is easier than GBA but quite different, There is no much tool for Nds. "Dslazy" is your friend. In Nds , it not use normal tile 8x8 as gba. and each game has completely defferent to the other. so u need to create your own tools to hack nds rom by yourself. You can see my tool at http://www.kenghot.com/GH_ShowArticle.asp?HID=10&CATID=
btw, This tool can use with ff3 jap version only. Can not use with another game.

Winner_Is_You

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, from what I gathered from a guy who actually did this on GameFAQs, I'd have to go and use NDStool to swap the audio and text files of the US version with the Japanese version. Then I'd have to put the US cutscene files into the Japanese version (as the US ones have subtitles) and then I'd have to switch the name templates because those are in their own unique llittle file. I'm not actually trying to retranslate the game. I'm just merely swapping some things within two different versions of the game.

The exact post by DarkZV2Beta goes like this:

"Take all the "en" filed from the US version of the game, and all the "usa" files, and rename them to the same name as their jp counterpart files, then replace the jp files with the en files. Then take the pal font from the US version, rename it font_jp.bin, and replace the current font_jp.bin.

That'll take care of text, title screens, menus... Everything but names and videos. For videos, all you need to do is replace the Japanese videos in vx with the english ones, I think. I haven't actually done that part yet, though.
As for names, I don't know.

And, of course, you need to know how to decompile and recompile the game data with NDStool.
---
Peanut Butter!(
smile.gif

Fish Sticks!)
smile.gif
#1 victim to sliding off the edge when frozen on Outer Reach!"

I'm not actually trying to retranslate the game. I'm just merely swapping some things within two different versions of the game. The only thing is, I'm still not sure what hardware he used to get the dump onto his comp nor do I know how he got that dump back on the original game card. Once again I know this is complicated but please bear with me here as I truly do wish to become proficient at NDS editing and hacking and I figured this would be a good way to start out.

BTW, kenghot, I really admire you for doing that FFIII Thai translation. That was some very high quality and very fast work you did for your fellow language speakers. Good luck on future projects!

GexX2

Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
......I'm still not sure what hardware he used to get the dump onto his comp nor do I know how he got that dump back on the original game card....
He didn't use any hardware. He used NDSTool, and the English and Japanese roms. He then unpacked, replaced the files, and repacked them. Don't worry about having to do any command line stuff with that NDSTool upload. It comes with the DSLazy front-end

Winner_Is_You

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, I'm starting to get it a little more now. So either way, I'm going to need to hunt down both the US and Japanese ROMs of ZX. That explains why the guy didn't give me a list of hardware that he used. Well, at least that solves that issue and I appreciate the replies, they were very informative.

I am curious though, as to whether it is possible to place an edited version of ZX onto a real ZX card. I think I remember reading somewhere that DS games can't be rewritten. But could you theoretically do it with a ROM dumper and an M3? Or does it only go one way?

kenghot

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.kenghot.com
XP
Country
Thailand
as i said, "Dslazy" is your friend. U'd unpack both version and the choos files to change. For hardware u need to have "Supercard" ,"M3" or somthing else to play rom.

GexX2

Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Oh, I'm starting to get it a little more now. So either way, I'm going to need to hunt down both the US and Japanese ROMs of ZX. That explains why the guy didn't give me a list of hardware that he used. Well, at least that solves that issue and I appreciate the replies, they were very informative.Â

I am curious though, as to whether it is possible to place an edited version of ZX onto a real ZX card. I think I remember reading somewhere that DS games can't be rewritten. But could you theoretically do it with a ROM dumper and an M3? Or does it only go one way?
It's called rom for a reason.
wink.gif

Winner_Is_You

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Heh, I guess I have no choice than to get a Flashcard and playing the edited ROM on that, huh? It'll be no problem once I get a DS Extreme (those LEDs are very, VERY tempting...) or that AceKard (assuming it does everything it advertises it can).

Once again, I'd like to thank everyone who helped out a newb like me. It's unfortunate I can't upload my edit because I know quite a few people that would have wished to play ZX with the original voices intact. I'll let you guys know in the future how this goes.

GexX2

Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Heh, I guess I have no choice than to get a Flashcard and playing the edited ROM on that, huh? It'll be no problem once I get a DS Extreme (those LEDs are very, VERY tempting...) or that AceKard (assuming it does everything it advertises it can).

Once again, I'd like to thank everyone who helped out a newb like me. It's unfortunate I can't upload my edit because I know quite a few people that would have wished to play ZX with the original voices intact. I'll let you guys know in the future how this goes.
I just tried it, and I have no idea what files do what, so I'll let you play with it and see how it goes. I did manage to swap a few files and repack it, and it worked until it stopped working after I started a game. I was using DeSmuME so I kinda expected it would die. Also, DeSmuME has no sound output so I couldn't really tell if it worked regardless.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: