OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Alright, so I just set up my wireless router and it's been working great with my WiFi games for the Wii, but everytime I try to connect to WiFi on a DS game it'll just say "unable to connect to internet"

Anyone know why?...

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
Magil said:
Alright, so I just set up my wireless router and it's been working great with my WiFi games for the Wii, but everytime I try to connect to WiFi on a DS game it'll just say "unable to connect to internet"

Anyone know why?...

i don't know the difference between the WII and the NDS settings but i can tell you the NDS requires the following...

WEP 64bit or 128bit with a valid key
Channels 1, 6 or 11
802.11B
Public broadcasting of the SSID must be set to enabled.
Range Enhancing features should be turned off.

It also helps if you change the defult SSID for your router. If you have two routers with the same SSID the NDS can have issues trying to find the correct one. Keep in mind that your NDS might see a neighbors router with the same SSID.

Make sure you "apply" the settings using the feature present in your router so that the router *updates* itself. This is the only way to make the settings active for some routers. Wait about 10 minutes after doing this to make sure the router is sending packets back around your network correctly. Sometimes it can take less time or more time for an *updated* router setting to be present and active.

When you load the "WIFI" settings for a game it is actually the WIFI settings of the NDS itself. Any adjustments you make here will be stored in the firmware of the NDS. You are not simply adjusting each game on a game for game basis. So with that understood, open the WIFI settings using any game and input your SID and your WEP key. Save these settings and close out of the setup.

Now try scanning for wireless networks and it should find yours. If it doesn't than double check that your router is set up using the settings above.

I have noticed that MarioKart has problems finding my network at times. Walking out of the room or simply holding my NDS up in the air will allow me to connect.

Goodluck
-Another World

Magil

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
No, I mean the test connection doesn't come up as "successful" but yet it'll still connect with games such as Tetris DS and Hunters...All the online homebrew apps work fine, and my WiFi is very fast with my Wii...But the others just can't connect...

Gahhh, I've tried everything...

TheWingless

Wafuu~
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Perhaps you don't have it set to WEP Open.
Nintendo Customer Service said:
Change the WEP from "WEP Open" to "WEP Shared." Apply Settings. Test connection.

This step must be done EVEN if other DS titles are working with WEP set to OPEN
Sounds like this is the problem, because some of your games are working.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
192.168.1.1 in your browser will load the soft settings for your router. you will need to login:Password.

once inside i can't help because i can't see your router's display. but you will need to use the settings i typed a few posts up to get your ds properly online. however, you said retail games can play but the r4 roms can not? this could be a different issue all together.

-another world

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
Magil said:
I changed it to "WEP shared" and it still gives me the same error...
;_;

Could the channel it's on mean anything?

i don't know what 'wep shared' means in your router. mine just has a button for wep 64, wep 128 and wpa.

yes the nds requires channels 1, 6 or 11.

scroll up and read the 4th post down that i posted. it contains all the specifics that you need to have set to get your nds online.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
Magil said:
I've tried everything I can think of, and it still gives me the same error...I have the WEP Key and all IP addresses set into my DS WiFi settings, and it still doesn't work.

double check you have these set accordingly:

WEP 64bit or 128bit with a valid key
Channels 1, 6 or 11
802.11B
Public broadcasting of the SSID must be set to enabled.

if one of those is not set that way the nds can not use the router to get online.

what router/model # are you using?

the only thing you have to set in the DS is the WEP key and the SSID from the router. the DS will do the rest automatically when you search for an access point. if it finds an access point it will use those two bits of info to attempt to make a connection. manually storeing all the info (like IP) can cause issues, i just don't bother doing it anymore since i'm not on a private hidden network with crazy IP forwarding rules.

are you using MAC address security on your router? if so you would need to add the MAC address of the DS or the router will deny access.
when searching does your nds find any available networks?

-another world

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I'm back