Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
I am making a website full of flash ".swf" games and I already have the php code so that I can load different games on the same page. I am working on adding in a database so that people can rate that the games out of 5. So all of the logic and coding is going fine, but the layout is horrible, and I don't know what sort of colours I should use. Also, the site looks different on IE than on Firefox.

It's written in html, and I need some help with it to make it look better; just add in smooth corners to the horrible orange square "div"s and possibly move them around to a better place. If anyone is good with designing layouts of sites and html coding then please post here or PM me and I'll send you the ftp details for the site.

Thanks!

-YoshiInAVoid-

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I suggest ignoring Internet Explorer entirely - making a website look "good" on IE takes a whole lot of time and doesn't really bear any fruits. It just ain't worth it - just put in some code that detects IE as the browser and prep a pop-up saying "Get a real browser!", the result will be the same and you'll save alot of time, effort and tears.

D

Deleted_171835

Do you mind linking to the site in your post, OP?

I suggest ignoring Internet Explorer entirely - making a website look "good" on IE takes a whole lot of time and doesn't really bear any fruits. It just ain't worth it - just put in some code that detects IE as the browser and prep a pop-up saying "Get a real browser!", the result will be the same and you'll save alot of time, effort and tears.
Not a good idea when you consider how many people still use IE. You'll be preventing a whole lot of users from being able to access your site. Anyways, IE9 isn't so bad. The problem is that so many people are still running IE6 and other old versions that sites still have to support it.

Reactions: 2 people

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Well, if people are allergic to updates then they should expect having issues viewing websites. How long has it been since 9 has been released?

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Well, if people are allergic to updates then they should expect having issues viewing websites. How long has it been since 9 has been released?
Considering it's a website for flash games, many of the people visiting would be in Primary/High School and you know what schools are like with computers.

D

Deleted_171835

It's more-so corporations that are using old browser versions. In 2009, 60% of companies used IE6 as their default browser. I can't exactly blame them anyways as there are legacy issues with some of their applications in newer browsers.

YoshiInAVoid

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
I don't want to share the URL until it's done but here is a screenshot:
screenybb.png

I already have some php to detect if your using IE, and it will have a popup saying "This website doesn't look good on some versions of IE, please use Firefox or at least make sure you have the latest version before continuing." or something similer, I can't remember the exact message.

If you are serious with helping me then I'll PM you the ftp details. Also, it would help if you showed me a website which you have made previously since there have been quite a lot of replies and I don't know who to choose yet.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Do you mind linking to the site in your post, OP?

Not a good idea when you consider how many people still use IE. You'll be preventing a whole lot of users from being able to access your site. Anyways, IE9 isn't so bad. The problem is that so many people are still running IE6 and other old versions that sites still have to support it.

IE9 is worse then ever. I ended up updating it for BF3 and really, really hate it compared to whatever ancient version of IE I was using (I use it as a secondary browser on occasion).

I agree with Foxi's post.

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
OK, first off:
  • Get rid of that horrible Times New Roman font (or w/e it is). Replace it with Verdana or Arial
  • Change font colour, the black looks cheap. Try to stick to the colour scheme and use a dark orange, yellow etc.
  • Don't use different colours for hyperlinks.
  • Underlining is unnecessary for plain text (ie not links). And DEFINITELY remove it from the header.
  • Create a bit of a margin between the text and the edge of the boxes, it looks cheap right up close like that.
  • Try and make more efficient use of the page, gaps in the middle do not look very nice.
  • If that is where the game is played then you're going to need to move it. The game should be positioned directly in the centre (left to right) as this is where people are generally most comfortable looking.
  • Create a logo of some kind (or ask someone to do this for you). If not, at least try to make it different from the rest of the text on the page. Your header / logo should stand out and be memorable.
  • GET RID OF THAT YELLOW. Ewww. That's the horrible kind of yellow you find on default office applications etc. Try to make it a more bright and bold colour.
  • Get some more interesting borders. (And no, NOT pictures). I just mean get a nicer colour and maybe thicken them a bit. Also, different size borders around the page can be a good way to tidy up different sections.
  • Position the 'Full Size' closer to the game (and centred if you want) without the border.
Sorry for so many points and if this sounds too harsh, I'm only trying to help, honest. :D

YoshiInAVoid

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
That you so much! They are some very helpful points that you have made. I will try and fix everything that you have mentioned and post a newer screenshot in a few days time. I knew that it didn't look right but I couldn't put my finger on what was ruining it. One more thing; please could you list a few colours which would look better than the orange or yellow? And maby even show me the hex code of the colour, (just so I can get it exact). I'm terrible at web-design; in the past I just used a phpbb forum with custom pages, see my snes game maker site for an example: www.snesgamemaker.gamehacking.org Once again thanks, that has really helped me.

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm going out in 5 mins so I don't really have time atm, I'll post again later. Colours are a lot to do with opinion though, and making sure it fits a theme (ie mostly hot colours such as red orange and yellow, or different shades or green). One of the most important things is to make the website flow, if you know what I mean. Key word = consistency.

D

Deleted-236924

While I agree with soulx when he says that a large amount of users still run IE, there is a point he isn't considering.
A good part of those users are using IE because work forces them to use IE.
If they need to play games while at work, then they don't need the job.

Apart from that, the website is not a professional website, so I myself wouldn't try having 100% compatibility with the oh-shitty but oh-so popular web browser.
I would suggest just keeping the script that would detect the browser, and if it's [insert IE build here], display a message saying that the website might not render properly in Internet Explorer, and then suggest getting Firefox/Opera/Chrome.
IE is not worth your time.

YoshiInAVoid

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
Updated the site a bit, it now looks like this:
screen2lnq.png

It looks nicer but I saved it as an 8bit png for smaller filesize.

Wizzerkak got an earlyer preview and this is what I said to him:

If you run it in Internet Explorer you get annoying popups saying "We have detected that your browser is having trouble displaying the site, we recommend using Firefox to see the best layout." Which should hopefully make people stop using IE :)

I have left in the horrible yellow colour as well as added in a lighter creamy colour; the yellow looks bold and seems to fit in whereas the white looks nicer and makes the text clearer; tell me what you preffer or show me the hex code of a nicer colour.

The list of games are at the bottom for some reason, I know it should go at the top but I'm having trouble with the html; this is the only method I could find to having two divs centered on the same line and for some reason they align at the bottom rather than top. I'll fix that later though.

As I already mentioned, I changed the colour to a gradient background, it adds character to the site; before it looked really bare. I hope you agree that it's an improvement as well but if there is something better; tell me and I can try that aswell.

That's everything. Just tell me what you think of it; what you like and dislike and I can change it acordingly.

He recons I should have the cream colour for the whole site ensted of the yellow colour I use at the top.

He also thinks I should turn the gradient background upside down from dark to light ensted. And remove the black borders.

It all comes down to opinion though, so what do you think?

SamAsh07

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Just read through this thread, your initial screenshot had a horrible website look and feel (sorry for that) but this new one looks much much better than the previous layout. Well I'm no expert at all this stuff and don't even know what all html is capable of but if I were to suggest something, I'd say get rid of that "Full Size" thing and add a nice little button that says "Full Screen". Again I'm not sure if it's even possible ;)

About removing black borders, I'll agree to that entirely, it'll look much smoother.

YoshiInAVoid

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
I have changed many more things; in my opinion it now looks worse than the previous screenshot so I need your help again. What do you like and dislike from both screenshots?

New screenshot:
screen3uf.png

Once again, thank you all for helping me! The site is getting much better since you have been helping me!

D

Deleted_171835

I have changed many more things; in my opinion it now looks worse than the previous screenshot so I need your help again. What do you like and dislike from both screenshots?

New screenshot:
screen3uf.png

Once again, thank you all for helping me! The site is getting much better since you have been helping me!
Align the list of games to the left.

Change that horrid yellow-orange colour-scheme.

For 'Full size' under the game, change that from 'text with a link' to an actual button.

Code:
Insert crap here

There's no need to have 'Current Game' in the title. Just the name of the game.

As a sidenote, I hope you have permission to host these games.

YoshiInAVoid

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
Thanks for your help, I'll try that. I don't actually have permission, no; I'm just doing this for experience so in future I will know how to make a good website when I need it, and so that I can play games at school ensted of doing work :yay: (all other gaming sites are blocked).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol