Help with Lameboy?

Discussion in 'Supercard' started by ObviousLee, Jun 17, 2014.

1. ObviousLee
    OP

ObviousLee Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 17, 2014
    Right so I've been using lameboy to play pokemon yellow, and i wanted to trade my pokemon to evlove them. I've been poking around these threads and come to the conclusion that you need the VBA emulator to do this but after that I am clueless

I dont know how to open the .sav files from lameboy on VBA but they don't show up as loadable, and i really don't have a notion as to what I'm doing...

Any help would be much appreciated

2. Ulieq

Ulieq GBAtemp Fan

Jan 14, 2014
    United States
    Los Angeles, California
    Search GameYob.

3. ObviousLee
    OP

ObviousLee Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 17, 2014
    i searched it but it says that 'Lameboy save states are unusable on other emulators'

does that mean i can t use my save files?

i think i need to be a bit more clear how i have no idea what i am doing

4. popokakapetu

popokakapetu GBAtemp Regular

Feb 13, 2012
    ???.sav is save file not save state!!! So you can load your save file in any gb/gbc emulator just fine!

5. ObviousLee
    OP

ObviousLee Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 17, 2014
    and if one was to load one's save file just fine, how would one go about that, in step by step detail??
    i copied the .sav file to my computer but it doesnt show up as a loadable file on the emulator? I read somewhere that the ROM and the save file have to have the same name but that didn't do anything..

what may be obvious to you fine people is completely foreign to me

6. Drenn

Drenn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 22, 2013
    Canada
    Trading pokemon on emulator is a bit complicated. While gameyob technically supports that feature, it's very buggy, so I don't recommend using that feature.

I use TGB Dual for linking, I'm not sure how VBA works. Anyway, you would copy your .sav files for both games onto your computer, in the same directory as the corresponding ROMs. Also make sure that the filenames for the roms and the saves are identical except for the extensions. Then you open both roms in TGB dual and perform the trade. Then copy the .sav files back to your microSD card.

To be clear, the ROM is an openable file, not the SAV. The SAV is automatically loaded when you open the ROM, assuming the filenames match.

.sav files are universal, they will work on any emulator, the only caveat being that games using RTC might have their clocks messed up.

7. popokakapetu

popokakapetu GBAtemp Regular

Feb 13, 2012
    Okay here is tutorial i found--->
    Just remember that you need another save file!

8. ObviousLee
    OP

ObviousLee Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 17, 2014
    that is extremely useful, thank you kindly. One last question, which i assume is obvious: delete the old .sav file on the microSD card, or is ok to just leave it there in case I mess up (which more than likely will happen)?

9. Drenn

Drenn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 22, 2013
    Canada
    There is no need to delete it, but in the last step, you will overwrite it with the .sav file from the completed trade.

10. ObviousLee
    OP

ObviousLee Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 17, 2014

i'm not going to try it now, but i will let you know if it actually works, thanks for the help

11. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 2, 2009
    Gambia, The
    leave the savefile but rename it like Pokemon Yellow_OLD.sav
    its not like its taking up any space or whatever

12. ObviousLee
    OP

ObviousLee Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 17, 2014
    so i've managed to get one of the saves to open but not the other one? it just pops up saying new game and not continue, and i think i saved it the proper way, not in a save state

i read something about changing the file extension of one of the sav files?

any ideas?