Hacking Help with a bricked Wii :)

weltall_of_id

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Ok here is how it goes. First and foremost its the first Wii it ever came out here in Greece at least. The Model is an RVL-001. I had it hacked with the old firmware 3.2 I think? Or maybe a previous one and I remember I read in a gaming forum about firmware 4 and how great the menus looked. I do not remember what I did but I remember that after I followed some steps and either installed a bad wad or did it the wrong way my Wii got bricked. The only thing I see is a black screen and I used to head the drive run. Yeap used to because.. Well I decided to unbrick it installing a modchip, which went wrong again. Taking it apart was kind of hard but installing the modchip killed my Wii.. well I killed it but thats not the point. It was a presoldered wiikey 2 clip. How you mess up installing a push on a hip Wiikey 2? Well I ordered from the guys I bought that for my version and they sent it to me but I did not know the clip had switches. On their site the clip had no switches but as it seems they sent me another kind of clip that worked with all consoles and depending what you had you used 4 little switches. Well installed it wrong and it did not work so I went and looked all over the net and found the slip needed the switches to have the right combination. Too bad though that after taking it off once and putting the switches as they should be not only broke one of the pins of the clip but also seens I guess I was not calm ripped a bit of the dvd wii tape and killed my dvd drive.

Long story short:
-My wii is bricked with a black screen.
-I did not know back then about software like priiloader.
-It has no dvd drive.
-Installing priiloader is a MUST (well thats more of a lesson I guess)

So why I bother all you good people with these stuff? I found on a random site today, while looking if a black Wii can play GC games with just a software modification, that its possible to actually unbrick it without a dvd copy of the Nintendo Wii Backup Disc software but just having it put inside the sd!

What I want to ask is:
-Is it possible to install the Nintendo Wii Backup Disc on a SD card?
-The only gamecube control I have is a wireless one. Is that ok or will it break after moding it?
-Does the Wii menu needs a modchip installed or I can jsut mod my GC controller first see if the menu comes up and then buy a modchip?
-Which modchip would work with a dvd-less wii? (PS I do not want to buy a new drive.)

Thank you everyone for any kind of support and remember! Installing priiloader is a MUST
if you want to mess with your Wii >.

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
We can't help without a wii drive installed. Please connect your gamecube controller to the wii port 4, it's unimportant if wireless or not, hold down the four digital buttons and turn your wii on. Can you see something on the screen?

MaxNuker

GBATemp's Official Shinigami Substitute
Trophies
Website
facebook.com
XP
Country
Portugal
Just a suggestion as i know nothing about unbricking wii's but:

after you unbrick it ( if you can do it ) you could try softmodding with with modmii maybe? you wont need the modchips...

weltall_of_id

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
@FIX94: Thought so. Just thought that the SD card was true. Also when you say digital buttons as in the direction buttons? Should I mod the controller?

@MaxNuker: ModMii? Is that a new software for hacking wii or just an easy installer?

shortz1994

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
modmii is a soft mod software, easy to use, as far as the ribbon in the dvd drive, if you have one or can find one, some dvd playes use the same style ribbon (magnavox, apex, an rca). in thier dvd players. i did the same thing while doing my case mod(ripped ribbon). glad i'm a tinker, an now some things about electronics. an had some broken dvd players, to try an find one to work. hope this helps. as far as unbricking i have no idea, i'll be in the same boat with you if this happens to mine. an thats a big IF.

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
You seem to only have 2 options.

1. Fix the dvd drive and get a working modchip like a drivekey

2. Get an infectus or send your wii to someone with an infectus. Chances are your wii has a vulnerable boot1 and can have bootmii injected into boot2. This is the better option.

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
weltall_of_id said:
@FIX94: Thought so. Just thought that the SD card was true. Also when you say digital buttons as in the direction buttons? Should I mod the controller?
Only original controllers need to be modded. Simply hold the digital pad down and try it, maybe you have luck and you will see something on your tv.

weltall_of_id

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I do not really want to spend any money on this because its for my cousin. I have got myself a new wii. My cousin told me if its just a chip then fine.

@shortz1994 thanks for explaining that. Well I would try it but I cant say I am the best with hardware so cant really go that way, not since its not for me.

@DeadlyFoez well cant get a new drive since there are no funds from my cousin. and infectus seems to cost as much. Btw. Do all modchips go in the dvd drive?

@FIX94 well sadly the controller is original. Its made by Nintendo and all and nope cant press them all.

weltall_of_id

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Well a refubrished dms drive costs 50 euro, a new 70, plus any cost from the chip and Wode costs around 80. I guess getting a refubrished wii for 100 euro is the best solution here.

Thank you everyone for your help. I wish you have a nice day
smile.gif

troy512

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
keep in mind that you will most likely not be able to read backups or any type of dvd with the new [old] wii.

you will be forced to use the better backup loader solution, usbloader.

you could swap drives, and usbloader is still better.

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
troy512 said:
keep in mind that you will most likely not be able to read backups or any type of dvd with the new [old] wii.
Not only that, but you probably won't be able to install bootmii/boot2 either...your current (bricked) wii can probably run it (although it may need to be installed via infectus).

Another thing: Your current brick may be caused by the broken drive. Wiis behave strangely/not at all when the DVD drive is missing/not connected.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Morning