[Help!] Wii disc drive won't read anything

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by Guess_Who, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Guess_Who
    OP

Guess_Who Newbie

Newcomer
    May 11, 2007
    United States
    My problem is exactly what the thread title says. The Wii won't read any discs. Games run from a USB drive work fine (using WiiFlow, USB Loader GX, etc.), but any kind of disc - retail or backup - gives me a "disc cannot be read" error. It doesn't seem like it's even trying to read the disc, since I don't hear it spinning. I'm not sure whether it's a mechanical issue or software. I once managed to get a disc to read, purely on accident, after playing around in MMM, but since then, nothing. I'm running on System Menu 4.2U, with a variety of custom IOSes installed (222/223, 236, 249).

Can anyone help me pinpoint what the problem is, or even better, how to fix it? I've tried everything I can think of outside of a NAND restore.

2. shango46

shango46 GBAtemp Regular

Jul 18, 2010
    Canada
    Edmonton, Alberta Canada
    Unfortunately, I don't think a NAND restore will do anything for you as it sounds like your Wii's drive is dead. The only thing I would suggest is a replacement drive or even a replacement Wii. I had the same problem happen to my D2C Wii drive and I had to replace it with a new one.

3. Sao Mortel

Sao Mortel GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 23, 2008
    Canada
    Montreal
    Don't replace the drive! its worthless paying 60-70$ for a new drive when you can get a whole new wii for 100-120. You can still use it with usb HD.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice