Help trying to get EZ Flash to work.

Discussion in 'EZ-Flash' started by KNEVER, Aug 27, 2013.

1. KNEVER
    OP

KNEVER Member

Newcomer
    Nov 27, 2008
    United States
    Alright, I got an Acekard 2 a long, long time ago. I also got an EZ FLash a long time ago to be able to play GBA games on my DS Lite. I know I had it working at some point in time, but I think I may have moved some files around on my main 8 gig SD card, and it doesn't seem to want to play the GBA game I'm trying on it. The DS games are all working fine, though.

If I remember correctly, I think there should be something else in the root. Right now, there's only __ak2, roms, and akmenu4.nds.

Can anybody let me know what I need to get this to work again please? Much appreciated, and thanks in advance.

2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    What EZflash device do you have? It sounds like you have an EZ4 or a 3 in 1 if you are playing GBA games. You also mentioned the DS cart (and 8 gig card -- the EZ4 only allows Sd spec spec -- anything 4 gigs or above is considered SDHC) which sounds like you might tried Rudolph's ROM running tools on it which has a nasty habit of killing EZ4s.

I will tie it off here until we get some more clarification on what goes.

3. KNEVER
    OP

KNEVER Member

Newcomer
    Nov 27, 2008
    United States
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's a 3 in 1. Remember, this was a long time ago, so it was probably before the 4 was even out, depending on when it was actually released. Rudolph doesn't sound familiar, so I don't think I used that. I do seem to remember something about moonshell, so that might have something to do with it...?

4. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    The 3in1 came out around the same time as the EZ5. The EZ4 predates both (predates the DS even)
    Check the cart, if it's a 3 in 1 it should say so on the label and it won't have a MiniSD/MicroSD slot. The EZ4 has a MiniSD slot (or Micro on the DS lite sized version) and you will have to use a normal SD (not SDHC) for that and put the roms on that.
    The 3in1 however lets you put the roms on your DS flashcart and run them from there, and you can use any type of MicroSD your DS flashcart supports.

Are you talking about GBA ExpLoader? I used that with my EZ4 and it didn't break anything, I wasn't aware it could. But it only partially worked (either NOR flash or PSRAM worked, can't remember which)

5. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    The 3 in 1 came out some time after the 4 (the full name for the 3 in 1 was the EZ5 3 in 1 expansion pack, the EZ3 was an entirely different device), anyway it is a simple test -- does your cart have a memory card slot? If yes then it is not a 3 in 1 and we get to ask further questions and if not then it is a 3 in 1.

The 3 in 1 then. It was originally an EZFlash device but they open sourced the read/write code for it and everything ended up supporting it (definitely AKAIO -- http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/AKAIO#3in1_FAS1_Slot-2_Support ), there was homebrew code for managing it (Rudolph's exploader, cory1492's gbaldr and Chuckstudio's ndstation being the big three). http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/3_in_1_Expansion_Pack_for_EZ-Flash_V has more on that sort of thing.

Hopefully something in one of those links jogs your memory and/or gets it working. If not someone will still be here to throw more links/suggestions around.

Edit: Jdbye yeah though Rudolph's tools technically supported the EZ4 and could even run games it had a nasty habit of overwriting loader sections and stopping any of the menus from working (we have some tools that can try to fix it but they are not that successful most of the time -- http://filetrip.net/nds-downloads/flashcart-files/download-ez4-os-tools-10-f27302.html ). They will still work with the tools after that though so it is not all bad but very far from ideal.

6. KNEVER
    OP

KNEVER Member

Newcomer
    Nov 27, 2008
    United States
    Yeah, no card slot on the EZ Flash. I think GBA Exploader is what I used last time. I tried it just now, extracted the contents onto the root, and booted it up. It starts to load the game, but it freezes at the GAME BOY screen.

7. Kouen Hasuki

Kouen Hasuki Kouen the Cyber Husky

Jan 9, 2013
    Norway
    Gaming Bunker
    Are you sure you are using clean roms?

8. KNEVER
    OP

KNEVER Member

Newcomer
    Nov 27, 2008
    United States
    As far as I know. They work fine in Visual Boy Advance. I've tried three different games, same result each time. Is there perhaps something other than GBAExploder that I should try? Or should I check the ROMs somehow?

9. how_do_i_do_that

how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

May 16, 2008
    Antarctica
    You have insufficient posts to view user location.
    A default install of AKAIO causes gba exploader to freeze randomly.
    Copy the ak2_sd.dldi from the official firmware in the __ak2 to your __aio folder on your MicroSD, overwriting the AKAIO ak2_sd.dldi.

10. KNEVER
    OP

KNEVER Member

Newcomer
    Nov 27, 2008
    United States
    That did the trick. Thanks a bunch! To everyone else, too!

11. KNEVER
    OP

KNEVER Member

Newcomer
    Nov 27, 2008
    United States
    Alright, new problem. Seems I'm not able to save the data on any of the GBA games. Help on this as well please?

12. how_do_i_do_that

May 16, 2008
    Antarctica
    Do you have the 2 folders you should have in the root of the microSD like below in red.

[​IMG]

13. KNEVER
    OP

KNEVER Member

Newcomer
    Nov 27, 2008
    United States
    Yeah, both of those are in there. There are contents of the games I tried in the GBA_SIGN folder listed as gamename.sgn, and a file called SRAM in the GBA_SAVE folder.

14. how_do_i_do_that

May 16, 2008
    Antarctica
    If your exiting this screen, then your basically canceling the multisave window.
    [​IMG]

It might be easier for you to turn off the multisave feature until you can get use to it then you can try again when your better at it.

To turn off the multisave you will need to edit the GBA_ExpLoader.ini file on your microSD and remove the # in front of the No_MultiSave.

It should look like below.
    Code:
    #
    # GBA_ExpLoader.ini
    #

SaveDir    /GBA_SAVE
    SignDir    /GBA_SIGN
    No_MultiSave        ! No Multi Save

---

You can manually dump your save with the B button, you will need to use this a lot for any game stored in NOR.

15. KNEVER
    OP

KNEVER Member

Newcomer
    Nov 27, 2008
    United States
    I'm not I understand what you mean when you say "exiting the screen," as pressing B is indicated as starting with no save loaded. I tried deleting the # but that just made the freezing problem reoccur, and putting the # back didn't solve the freezing problem, so I had to delete and reinstall the akaio files.

16. how_do_i_do_that

May 16, 2008
    Antarctica