Devante

Crescent fresh at best.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys.

Sounds dumb but how do I find the probability of the following question?

A class has 32 students. Out of that class, 4 will fail.
Rudy is in this class.
What is the probability of Rudy failing?

I keep coming up with 1/8 but I think I'm missing a step.

Recorderdude

Musician, Animator, Buffoon.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
4/32

divide both by four

1/8

it's that simple. 1/8 will fail and he has a 1/8 chance of failing. this could also be expressed as .125, 12.5% or 1:8.

s4mid4re

Trophies
Website
v4.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
personuser said:
4/32

divide both by four

1/8

it's that simple. 1/8 will fail and he has a 1/8 chance of failing. this could also be expressed as .125, 12.5% or 1:8.
to be a little clearer, 1/8 = 1÷8
if you solve 1÷8, it becomes .125 (you can also solve by 4÷32 and get the same answer)
move the decimal 2 places to the right and you get the percentage (12.5%)
1:8 (one to eight) is the simplified ratio form. just think of the colon as a division sign.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
I wanna say 1/256. There is a 4/32 chance that four of the students will fail. There is also a 1/32 chance that the student could be Rudy.

To account for this, you have to set it up as follows:
(4/32)(1/32) = 1/256 chance that the failed student is Ricky

I wanna go ahead and say this is wrong though. I could say how to do this perfectly if I felt like pulling out my notes from my mini-probability unit in Pre-Calculus earlier this year. Instead of people, it was dice. It was something like the odds of it being a number 1 - 3 in six rolls, and how many times the number 2 would show up and crap like that.

Take my answer with a grain of salt, or a shaker, or a factory full.
tongue.gif

s4mid4re

Trophies
Website
v4.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Nathan Drake said:
I wanna say 1/256. There is a 4/32 chance that four of the students will fail. There is also a 1/32 chance that the student could be Rudy.

To account for this, you have to set it up as follows:
(4/32)(1/32) = 1/256 chance that the failed student is Ricky

I wanna go ahead and say this is wrong though. I could say how to do this perfectly if I felt like pulling out my notes from my mini-probability unit in Pre-Calculus earlier this year. Instead of people, it was dice. It was something like the odds of it being a number 1 - 3 in six rolls, and how many times the number 2 would show up and crap like that.

Take my answer with a grain of salt, or a shaker, or a factory full.
tongue.gif
I don't think that's what's being asked. If my interpretation is correct, this would be a variant of the question:
One of the 4 students that are failing can be Rudy, out of a total of 32 students. What is the probability that Rudy is 1 of the 4 students?

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
I didn't start to learn how to add, subtract, multiply, and divide fractions until pre-algebra. Through elementary school, it was pretty much all basic shit and memorizing stuff you'll never need to memorize again.

CarbonX13

GBAtemp 台灣人
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
Nathan Drake said:
I didn't start to learn how to add, subtract, multiply, and divide fractions until pre-algebra. Through elementary school, it was pretty much all basic shit and memorizing stuff you'll never need to memorize again.
Maybe it's the States then. I learned how to divide, multiply, add, and subtract factions in grade 4, and BEDMAS and such by grade 5.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: horny jail is full la