Help ripping "on the fly" patch from Wii U RAM

marioxb

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm trying to figure out how to rip Wii U Virtual Console games from RAM. I've been searching online, but I couldn't really find anything concrete regarding how to do this in 2023. I've tried DDD and titledumper, and both give me just the base, pre-patched rom. The game I'm trying to extract is patched "on the fly". Specifically, I'm looking for the digital exclusive version of the Famicom game, The Tower of Babel. Only the title screen seems to be different, but I want that version of the rom. I've searched online and cannot find that version anywhere. It was also used for the Nintendo Switch "Namcot Collection", but not until a DLC update.
Tower-of-Babel-Title-NamcotCollection-Update301.png
Can anyone help me figure out how to rip this game with the "on the fly" patch applied to it? By the way is there a better term for these types of patches?-

Ettino

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
By the way is there a better term for these types of patches?-
Revision patch, I guess. That what I would call it anyway. So, you're looking for a,....3.01 version of that game. Have you tried wiiuvcextract https://lendunistus.github.io/wiiuvcextract-guide/ ? That may or may not work though and you might end up with just the unpatched rom again.

I haven't done any of these stuff for awhile, but I would have thought that when you extract the VC, the actual rom and the patch would come together and you can repatch it with a patcher. But yeah, that's just a maybe.

Reactions: marioxb

marioxb

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Revision patch, I guess. That what I would call it anyway. So, you're looking for a,....3.01 version of that game. Have you tried wiiuvcextract https://lendunistus.github.io/wiiuvcextract-guide/ ? That may or may not work though and you might end up with just the unpatched rom again.

I haven't done any of these stuff for awhile, but I would have thought that when you extract the VC, the actual rom and the patch would come together and you can repatch it with a patcher. But yeah, that's just a maybe.
Thanks. Forgot to say I tried that method as well. After this step:
If your game is a NES/SNES/GBA/FDS/TurboGrafx-16 game, go into /code and copy the .rpx file into the same folder that you extracted wiiu-vc-extractor into.
● If your game is a GBA game, go into /content and copy the .psb.m file and the .bin file into the same folder that you extracted wiiu-vc-extractor into.
● If your game is a PCE game, go into /content and copy the .pkg file into the same folder that you extracted wiiu-vc-extractor into.

12. Run the following commands:

cd [path to your wiiu-vc-extractor folder].
Linux and macOS only: chmod +x wiiuvcextractor.
wiiuvcextractor [dump file without the brackets].

Congratulations, you now have your ROM! You can find the file in your wiiu-vc-extractor folder.

I end up with the vanilla rom. If the patch is somewhere in those files, I have no idea where it is or how to access it.

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Can't you just mod the rom with your desired title card? Plenty of tools at romhacking.com I'm sure one of them allows swapping things like this around? I'm just guessing tho!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over