help? - riding racing bikes

OSW

Wii King
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Until recently i had only ridden mountain bikes my whole life.
I'm not a prolific rider, but i gave my dad's old racing bike a go and it was a great pleasure to ride on the roads.

But theres definitely a bit of a learning curve.

One thing I'm struggling with is techniques to grip the handlebar.
I find it difficult to get into comfortable positions, especially those with the brakes in reach.

The handlebar seems to be a fairly common "drop handlebar" as I've read it's called, and the brakes also have an extra bar sticking out to provide another method of access. neither feel very comfortable.

Does anyone have any tips or websites to assist me with grip technique? It would be much appreciated.

One reason i'm more concerned about brake access is that I'm riding on a very busy main road (even though it's popular with other cyclists)

Cheers.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It may sound counter intuitive but learn to ride it no hands: those bars require more force to operate and are more twitchy to boot and no hand shifts your weights and generally makes it feel nicer to ride.

After you get that it should be easier to hold the "drop" part of the bars rather than the horizontal section negating some of the issues.

Smuff

Fossilized Gamer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ah this takes me back.......

Nothing better than bombing along in the drop handlebar position..... not being able to see where you'e going, just getting there at one helluva rate of knots
laugh.gif

Just keep practising - it will get comfortable all by itself eventually, till it becomes second nature to ride in that position.

OSW

Wii King
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
hohoho

thanks guys
smile.gif

also, my neck seemed a little sore after riding... i suspect it's because of being used to a riding position where you are more vertical, so this time i was stretching my head more to look up
tongue.gif

i went down a hill today and it was exhilarating, but also a little scary xD

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude chess is best
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    strip checkers > nude chess
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude checkers get jumped
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, I guess you'd pick up something while watching tub streams.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Dick fights. :tpi:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Turkish olive oil wrestling.
    +1
    Veho @ Veho: Turkish olive oil wrestling. +1