Help Revise on the Parts I'm Buying to build computer.

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Justin121994, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Justin121994
    OP

Member Justin121994 Bitcoin. coinbase.com/andrew

United States
    Well this is my first time building my computer. It's really expensive and wondering if this is worth the price. Should I swap anything for something cheaper or leave it as it is? This is for gaming/school/programming. Any help would be appreciated. I really can't spend much. Should I get a cheaper cpu? Is six cores really worth it. Is my gpu good?

Sorry for it not being formated THAT good, but is this an ok computer?

2. Splych

Member Splych GBAtemp's Lurker

Philippines
    there really isn't anything else to improve in my opinion .
    it comes to a total of $900 and all the parts are great brands .

3. Frederica Bernkastel

Member Frederica Bernkastel WebPerf and PWA advocate; @antoligy on Twitter

United Kingdom
    The only things I'd personally change would be the motherboard to an Asus P8P67 Deluxe and CPU to an i5 2500K.
    Sure there may be 2 less cores, but at least it'll last a long time, run more efficiently and overall will be more powerful.
    Other than that, pretty nice build.

4. ollepoll

Member ollepoll GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    you have a much too big psu and a too slow graphics card

use a x4 955 and as a gfx card a 6950 or a 560

a ram with a lower cl would be better and the case is overkill, in my oppinion

5. Frederica Bernkastel

United Kingdom
    Clearly you have little idea about how power supply units work. Having a larger amount of power available than is used increases their lifespan by several times.
    Plus it allows for components to be upgraded at a later date without having to worry about replacing PSU.

As for the graphics card, you do have a point there - it isn't the best on the market atm, but it's not nearly as bad as you make it sound. A 6850 is still more than powerful enough to run even the most demanding of games with ease.
    Oh and great job with recommending an even worse CPU.

6. ollepoll

Germany
    hmmm, maybe he doesn't have infinitive money and saves money that way for a better gfx card?

7. Frederica Bernkastel

United Kingdom
    He has not said anything about budget limitations in the first post, and the GPU he has picked out is perfectly fine anyway. It's harder to replace a CPU/mobo than it is to replace a GPU, should he ever feel the need to upgrade.

8. ollepoll

Germany

9. Frederica Bernkastel

United Kingdom
    I think that whoever wrote this isn't thinking straight, as a higher clockspeed on RAM naturally leads to better performance - which is why we have DDR(1-3) memory in the first place.

10. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    B3-stepping for Intel series 6 motherboards (i.e. Sandy Bridge) is not out yet - it's expected in March/April. That doesn't mean a thing since the system only has 2 SATA drives so it will never have a problem with B2-stepping Intel motherboards. Even if Justin wanted an extra SATA drive later, there's only a 20-30% chance of symptoms appearing in 1-3 years from purchase anyway.

11. Frederica Bernkastel

United Kingdom
    Right, I misread his post (rather, read too deeply while trying to understand it).

Thanks for clarifying :v

12. Justin121994
    OP

United States
    Yeah thats what I was thinking. I'm only 16 though, I have no extra cash to throw, but it's nice to know I can upgrade once I get a job and more money.

13. Justin121994
    OP

United States
    And about the Sandy Bridge, I was leaning over on that until I read all about the problems. I wasn't sure If waiting for it was worth it or just buying my current choice. I wasn't really sure on my board and my friend was trying to convince me to buy an ASUS board. Oh sorry for replying late I've been busy with school/sports, so I didn't have time to log in and see the replies.

14. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    You will never encounter any problems with a Sandy Bridge motherboard if you're only going to be using 1 DVD drive and 1 HDD. It's only when you start using 3 SATA drives that you have a small-but-significant chance (20-30%) of experiencing problems 1-3 years down the line. Solution - just use your DVD in the SATAII ports - the DVD drive isn't important, and if you really need (by some unlucky chance) it you can get a PCI-E SATA controller to plug it into for $10.

Anyway, from the parts you've selected, it's not a bad choice. It will be fine playing any game for a couple years to come and 6 cores = good at multi-tasking/multi-threaded tasks. A Core i5-2500K would be ~80% more powerful then a PhenomII X6 1090T BE, even before overclocking, but if you're worried about the problems with the motherboards then that's your choice to make.