Gaming Help Revise on the Parts I'm Buying to build computer.

Justin121994

Bitcoin. coinbase.com/andrew
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well this is my first time building my computer. It's really expensive and wondering if this is worth the price. Should I swap anything for something cheaper or leave it as it is? This is for gaming/school/programming. Any help would be appreciated. I really can't spend much. Should I get a cheaper cpu? Is six cores really worth it. Is my gpu good?

Sorry for it not being formated THAT good, but is this an ok computer?
QUOTE said:
ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM
Item #: N82E16827135204
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
Protect Your Investment (expand for options)
$18.99

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Item #: N82E16822152185
-$5.00 Instant
$69.99
$64.99

GIGABYTE GA-890GPA-UD3H AM3 AMD 890GX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
Item #: N82E16813128435
-$5.00 Instant
$139.99
$134.99

HIS H685F1GD Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity
Item #: N82E16814161348
Return Policy: VGA Standard Return Policy
-$5.00 Instant
$15.00 Mail-in Rebate Card
$179.99
$174.99

Newegg Promotional Gift Card - $10.00
Item #: N82E168GC000001
Your Promotional Gift Card will be emailed 4 days after invoice.

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible ...
Item #: N82E16817139005
-$30.00 Instant
$10.00 Mail-in Rebate Card
$119.99
$89.99

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-4GBNQ
Item #: N82E16820231190
Return Policy: Memory Standard Return Policy
$44.99

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor HDT90ZFBGRBOX
Item #: N82E16819103849
Return Policy: CPU Replacement Only Return Policy
$199.99
Subtotal: $728.93
Tax: $60.14
Calculate Shipping
Zip Code: GO
Shipping: $11.52

LIAN LI Lancool PC-K58W Black 0.8 mm SECC, Plastic + Mesh ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Item #: N82E16811112238
-$20.00 Instant
$99.99
$79.99
Subtotal: $79.99
Tax: $6.60

Grand Total: $887.18

Frederica Bernkastel

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
The only things I'd personally change would be the motherboard to an Asus P8P67 Deluxe and CPU to an i5 2500K.
Sure there may be 2 less cores, but at least it'll last a long time, run more efficiently and overall will be more powerful.
Other than that, pretty nice build.

D

Deleted User

you have a much too big psu and a too slow graphics card

use a x4 955 and as a gfx card a 6950 or a 560

a ram with a lower cl would be better and the case is overkill, in my oppinion

Frederica Bernkastel

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
ollepoll said:

Clearly you have little idea about how power supply units work. Having a larger amount of power available than is used increases their lifespan by several times.
Plus it allows for components to be upgraded at a later date without having to worry about replacing PSU.

As for the graphics card, you do have a point there - it isn't the best on the market atm, but it's not nearly as bad as you make it sound. A 6850 is still more than powerful enough to run even the most demanding of games with ease.
Oh and great job with recommending an even worse CPU.

D

Deleted User

Antoligy said:
ollepoll said:

Clearly you have little idea about how power supply units work. Having a larger amount of power available than is used increases their lifespan by several times.
Plus it allows for components to be upgraded at a later date without having to worry about replacing PSU.

It doesn't increase the lifespan so much and when you are able to see a change between this and a slower one your pc is really outdated. A nice 500-550W psu has a better efficiency, costs less and if he won't use a 2nd gfx card it will be more than enough
and according to this it may even be enough for 2 gfx cards so no need to worry about the psu

hmmm, maybe he doesn't have infinitive money and saves money that way for a better gfx card?

Frederica Bernkastel

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
ollepoll said:
Antoligy said:
ollepoll said:

It doesn't increase the lifespan so much and when you are able to see a change between this and a slower one your pc is really outdated. A nice 500-550W psu has a better efficiency, costs less and if he won't use a 2nd gfx card it will be more than enough
and according to this it may even be enough for 2 gfx cards so no need to worry about the psu

It obviously does increase the lifespan enough for any reputable source to recommend doing so.

QUOTE(ollepoll @ Feb 28 2011, 05:38 PM) QUOTE(Antoligy @ Feb 28 2011, 06:30 PM)
hmmm, maybe he doesn't have infinitive money and saves money that way for a better gfx card?
He has not said anything about budget limitations in the first post, and the GPU he has picked out is perfectly fine anyway. It's harder to replace a CPU/mobo than it is to replace a GPU, should he ever feel the need to upgrade.

D

Deleted User

Antoligy said:
ollepoll said:
It obviously does increase the lifespan enough for any reputable source to recommend doing so.
Plz show me a source because I have never from any source heard of that, I only heard that you need a good, no cheep psu

QUOTE said:
]He has not said anything about budget limitations in the first post, and the GPU he has picked out is perfectly fine anyway. It's harder to replace a CPU/mobo than it is to replace a GPU, should he ever feel the need to upgrade.
Okay about the budget thing, but I think it would be better to have a good pc now and not one soon lacking power in one part and needing to upgrade it.

I think the person who has asked needs to state his opinion here

and for the sandy bridge you suggested: is b3 even out yet

and what do you think about:

Frederica Bernkastel

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
ollepoll said:
QUOTE said:
He has not said anything about budget limitations in the first post, and the GPU he has picked out is perfectly fine anyway. It's harder to replace a CPU/mobo than it is to replace a GPU, should he ever feel the need to upgrade.
Okay about the budget thing, but I think it would be better to have a good pc now and not one soon lacking power in one part and needing to upgrade it.

I don't see how downgrading CPU makes a PC better, especially when the CPU isn't too great to start with.
ollepoll said:
Yes.
ollepoll said:
and what do you think about:
I think that whoever wrote this isn't thinking straight, as a higher clockspeed on RAM naturally leads to better performance - which is why we have DDR(1-3) memory in the first place.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
With DDR3, there's virtually no difference between performance RAM and budget RAM. G.Skill RAM is often recommended in America because it's the cheapest on the market and works almost as well as Corsair Dominators. Likewise, having a lower CL produces no visible difference in performance.

QUOTE said:
The lifespan of a PSU scales depending on its quality (of parts), the operating environment (temperature and stability of current) and usage (power draw and how often it's turned on/off more than how long it's used). Assuming that your electricity is stable (e.g. using a surge protector) and you're not turning it on/off all the time, then using the PSU on 60% draw (of its recommended wattage) will make it last roughly 2-3 times longer than a PSU on 95% draw. I won't bother mentioning overtaxed PSUs.

Also, most PSUs tend to suffer slight voltage droops when nearing 100% load. This is one of the main reasons system designers always recommend getting a PSU that is more powerful than your system needs - it's the only way to ensure stable power throughout the system and keep your motherboard from frying.

B3-stepping for Intel series 6 motherboards (i.e. Sandy Bridge) is not out yet - it's expected in March/April. That doesn't mean a thing since the system only has 2 SATA drives so it will never have a problem with B2-stepping Intel motherboards. Even if Justin wanted an extra SATA drive later, there's only a 20-30% chance of symptoms appearing in 1-3 years from purchase anyway.

Frederica Bernkastel

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Originality said:
QUOTE said:
B3-stepping for Intel series 6 motherboards (i.e. Sandy Bridge) is not out yet - it's expected in March/April. That doesn't mean a thing since the system only has 2 SATA drives so it will never have a problem with B2-stepping Intel motherboards. Even if Justin wanted an extra SATA drive later, there's only a 20-30% chance of symptoms appearing in 1-3 years from purchase anyway.
Right, I misread his post (rather, read too deeply while trying to understand it).

Thanks for clarifying :v

Justin121994

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Antoligy said:
ollepoll said:

As for the graphics card, you do have a point there - it isn't the best on the market atm, but it's not nearly as bad as you make it sound. A 6850 is still more than powerful enough to run even the most demanding of games with ease.
Yeah thats what I was thinking. I'm only 16 though, I have no extra cash to throw, but it's nice to know I can upgrade once I get a job and more money.

Justin121994

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And about the Sandy Bridge, I was leaning over on that until I read all about the problems. I wasn't sure If waiting for it was worth it or just buying my current choice. I wasn't really sure on my board and my friend was trying to convince me to buy an ASUS board. Oh sorry for replying late I've been busy with school/sports, so I didn't have time to log in and see the replies.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
You will never encounter any problems with a Sandy Bridge motherboard if you're only going to be using 1 DVD drive and 1 HDD. It's only when you start using 3 SATA drives that you have a small-but-significant chance (20-30%) of experiencing problems 1-3 years down the line. Solution - just use your DVD in the SATAII ports - the DVD drive isn't important, and if you really need (by some unlucky chance) it you can get a PCI-E SATA controller to plug it into for $10.

Anyway, from the parts you've selected, it's not a bad choice. It will be fine playing any game for a couple years to come and 6 cores = good at multi-tasking/multi-threaded tasks. A Core i5-2500K would be ~80% more powerful then a PhenomII X6 1090T BE, even before overclocking, but if you're worried about the problems with the motherboards then that's your choice to make.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: @SylverReZ :creep: