[Help] Old Nintendo 3DS Unit Would Not Connect to the Internet

Discussion in '3DS - Nintendo Network' started by Dothackjhe, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Dothackjhe
    OP

Dothackjhe GBAtemp Regular

Dec 29, 2013
    Philippines
    I got this unit for cheap as a second-hand unit. It dents but nonetheless function normally. I initially got it at an outdated firmware of version 2.X.X-XXX which I updated to a higher firmware via Shin Megami Tensei IV to version 4.5.0-XX. (I'm leaving some numbers or letter in "X" since I could not remember the specifics.)

Everything seems fine, including my access to the internet with the same unit when I attempted to install rxTools on it from this tutorial: https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-installing-rxtools-custom-firmware-3ds-and-2ds.390867/. Note: This is already my third attempt in installing rxTools to three different units, the first two of which were a success. It is only on this third attempt that I think I quite messed up due to the updated method as you see now.

I was following everything just fine when I encountered an issue at the section 4a, bullet #12 (since rxTools would not boot to sysnand, I booted emunand instead by launching rxTools via web browser (go.gateway-3ds.com/). It booted on emunand from there just fine as evidenced by RX prefix that comes with the firmware to which the unit is running.

Confident that the unit is in rxMode emunand, I took the liberty of updating emunand version by updating it via the system setting. Sadly, after some time of downloading the update, it ultimately failed for some reason.

Since then, even after going through the effort of formatting the unit's system memory, I have been having trouble connecting to the internet, especially obvious when in system settings (the signal suddenly just loses signal bars from full bars, only to return when no longer in the system settings). Also, whenever I try to open my 3DS's web browser, I am always being presented with the "Nintendo 3DS Service User Agreement." Twice in a row every time even.

Another issue I have also noticed is that my unit is missing the "Health & Safety" icon which I injected with BigBlueMenu.cia as instructed in the tutorial I was following.

Long story short: I seem to have messed up the system which resulted to the mentioned problem that merely formatting the system memory apparently could not fix.

Anyone experienced the same? How were you able to fix it?

Just for reference, I am having the same error as this as seen on this video (Wi-Fi is enabled, yet losing bar signal intermittently; now also apparent when in home menu. Mine is probably worst as I could not browse the internet using the unit's built-in web browser.):

Last edited by Dothackjhe, Jan 17, 2016
  2. wormdood

wormdood pirate booty inspector

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    behind a parental advisory sticker
    look i have no exp with the problem personally . . . but i know how to fix it
    1. get a ds flashcard and use that to install rxtools mset rop for 4.x
    2. use mset to boot rxtools devmode(pastamode)
    3. get sysupdater and the 9.2 update pack and . . . update sysnand
    4. . . . claim victory

3. Dothackjhe
    OP

Dec 29, 2013
    Philippines
    I also have the same gist that updating the unit to a higher firmware might likely fix the issue it is having at the moment. However, due to the constraints of not being able to connect to the internet and not having a game cartridge to do so manually, I was unable to the updates.

By the way, have you a tutorial which shows just those steps you mentioned?

---

[Update]

I tried installing rxTools MSET using an R4 Flash Cart like the one I used with one of the first two 3DSes I installed rxTools with. While the installation was a success, I am getting an error when trying to boot to rxTools via the system settings > other settings > profile method -- it crashes and just automatically reboots the system (just like how it did when I installed Gateway MSET.)

4. wormdood

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    lol you do
    taken from this guide

5. Dothackjhe
    OP

Dec 29, 2013
    Philippines
    The thing is I no longer have the means to connect my 3DS unit to the internet and is thus limited to methods that are offline unless I could fix my internet connection with this particular unit.

Note: My other two units (classic and classic XL) could connect to the internet just fine.

By the way, should I re-establish my internet connection with this unit, I would only be needing such to install rxTools in this and will probably sell it as a gig.

6. wormdood

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    . . . no part of what i quoted for you requires the system to connect to the internet
    in fact the whole reason to install mset is to not need internet to launch rxtools

Last edited by wormdood, Jan 17, 2016
  7. Dothackjhe
    OP

Dec 29, 2013
    Philippines
    Ohh, right. I've already tried installing rxTools MSET and was a success, but the execution (trigerring rxTools via MSET) was not -- there is an error which causes the system to auto-restart afterwards.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I could not proceed with updating my unit to version 9.0 - 9.2 as I am uncertain how BBM fared when I injected it via sysnand, especially after doing a failed update of emunand.

---

Last edited by Dothackjhe, Jan 18, 2016
  8. Dothackjhe
    OP

Dec 29, 2013
    Philippines
    Any possible ideas on how to fix this will be highly appreciated.

9. Dothackjhe
    OP

Dec 29, 2013
    Philippines
    Up.

10. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    The wifi connection always turns off when in system settings, it's normal behavior.
    What did you use to install mset? Newer rxtools versions use a rxinstaller.bin that I believe is installed from the rxTools menu, that's not what you need. You need the older .nds version since from the sound of your post you are using an outdated rxTools version. It would be best to update to the latest nightly.

11. Dothackjhe
    OP

Dec 29, 2013
    Philippines
    Maybe the Wi-Fi turning off at the system setting is normal, but when trying to open the web browser and it says it cannot connect to the internet, I guess that kind of issue is not a least bit normal.

I did use the .nds installer of rxTools MSET via an R4 Card which installed successfully, only to get an error trying to trigger rxTools via the system settings > other settings > profile method which then restarts the unit. The same was also true when I tried making Gateway boot up via the MSET method. Got any idea what makes both MSET boot ups to crash and restart the unit?

Last edited by Dothackjhe, Jan 19, 2016