Gaming help needed with os

DarkShinigami

#1 strongest Shinigami BANKAI
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so i have vista but i got a new 250 gig hard drive i would appreciate it if some one could give me a step by step guide on formatting the old 40 gig hard drive.

it wont let me format it in the 250 gig or the 40 gig.

as i said any help would be appreciated

Tokiopop

Caffeine fiend
Trophies
XP
Country
You can just install an OS to it and it will format it during the installation.

(Sorry if that's not the perfect answer, but you're extremely hard to understand)

DarkShinigami

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
1 - How are things set up now? i have windows vista set up on both hard drives

2 - How do you WANT things to be set up? i want to use a hard drive as a storage device but i want to format it first

3 - How exactly have you tried setting it up?i try reformating it in the 250 gig(one i want as primary) it says it cant. i try reformatting in the 40 gig hard drive(one i want as a slave) it says it cant while using the operating system

4 - What happens when you try? i try reformatting it says formatting error. im using the windows formatting tool is there a program is should get?

DarkShinigami

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pokefreak2008 said:
Rydian said:
1 - How are things set up now? i have windows vista set up on both hard drives

2 - How do you WANT things to be set up? i want to use a hard drive as a storage device but i want to format it first

3 - How exactly have you tried setting it up?i try reformating it in the 250 gig(one i want as primary) it says it cant. i try reformatting in the 40 gig hard drive(one i want as a slave) it says it cant while using the operating system

4 - What happens when you try? i try reformatting it says formatting error. im using the windows formatting tool is there a program is should get?

can anyone help me with this?

is there a good program for formatting hard drives?

dysan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Greece
in the "installing OS" screen,does it perhaps show you the drives as "dynamic" type?
you have to change that to "basic" type or it won't install....at least that's what it did on windows 7.

google how to change driver type.

or maybe do you just wanna format one of the disks without installing an OS?
go to control panel and search for format,should be the 1st option there.

DarkShinigami

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dysan said:
in the "installing OS" screen,does it perhaps show you the drives as "dynamic" type?
you have to change that to "basic" type or it won't install....at least that's what it did on windows 7.

google how to change driver type.

or maybe do you just wanna format one of the disks without installing an OS?
go to control panel and search for format,should be the 1st option there.

i have the os installed on both i just wanna format the smaller drive

Bulit

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Through Startup Disk:
Boot and Nuke:
http://www.dban.org/

Through OS:
1.Go to the start menu
2.Click on Computer (C:\)
3.Right-Click the harddrive you want to format
4.Click on "Format..."
smile.gif

Hakoda

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
GParted sounds like what you need. Just Google it, download the ISO, burn it to a USB or CD and boot it. It will boot into a Linux environment. Once in the formatting tool, in the top right hand corner of the window you will find a drop-down menu of which hard drive to select. Make sure its the 40GB one and then format the Vista partition on it.

Nuke will erase the data on BOTH hard drive according to their site, it doesn't look like they give you choice. According to the OP, they only want the 40GB erased.

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Use Gparted as the above poster said. Either that use the Windows install dvd where you can also format your drive outside your OS.

Bulit

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hakoda said:
GParted sounds like what you need. Just Google it, download the ISO, burn it to a USB or CD and boot it. It will boot into a Linux environment. Once in the formatting tool, in the top right hand corner of the window you will find a drop-down menu of which hard drive to select. Make sure its the 40GB one and then format the Vista partition on it.

Nuke will erase the data on BOTH hard drive according to their site, it doesn't look like they give you choice. According to the OP, they only want the 40GB erased.
No, Nuke lets you choose which harddisk you want to format and it is a much smaller iso.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: @_@