Help needed WII showing Error: 003 post 4.2 upgrade

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by m2c, Nov 17, 2009.

Nov 17, 2009
  1. m2c
    OP

Newcomer m2c Member

India
    Two days back I bought KOREAN WII which apparently was premodded. Today while checking out different channel and wiiconnect24, it asked me if I want to update to latest version and I clicked yes :-( Post update, it fails to start, showing just Error: 003 unauthorized device has been detected.

I did google around and came across this interesting site (which I should have seen before even playing with WII), but could find solution to my problem.

Please let me know if there is a way to recover from this mess.

2. xzxero

Member xzxero ♥bong milk does good for the brain♥

United States
    known problem

no cure.

cIOSCORP 3.5 has a prevention for this though.

ive always wondered if you just downgrade to 3.5k or whatever and it will go away?

3. techboy

Member techboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    If you could downgrade, yes a downgrade would fix it. The 003 is in the 4.2 menu (working in combination with IOS70).

Seeing that it was bought two days back, see about returning it. If you get a new one, install cIOSCORP or convert it back to Korean before you update so it won't brick.

4. m2c
    OP

Newcomer m2c Member

India
    Thanks a lot for quick replies!

I'm trying to see if the dealer can take it back.
    Any hints about how to proceed to try to downgrade?
    Any white-paper/guide which talks about how wii works (preload/loader/1st/2nd stage loader) and which part is in ROM and which one is in NAND (which needs to be rewritten) and I can try and experiment.

5. FenrirWolf

Member FenrirWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Unfortunately there's no way you can actually run anything on your Wii in the state it's in right now. It's essentially bricked.

6. m2c
    OP

Newcomer m2c Member

India
    I'm trying to understand what exactly went wrong here. I assume CPU starts off with ROM which transfers control to code in NAND/SD/DVD? My update modified content of NAND to US version and upon boot, it checks for some hardware id and finds it to be korean and aborts. Is that correct?
    So problem lies with the content of NAND? If I reflash the NAND, will my WII work? If yes, where do I get correct NAND dump for the same?

Thanks
    Pawan

7. m2c
    OP

Newcomer m2c Member

India
    One more thing. If I happen to get savemii, will it work?

8. MarioMadness

Member MarioMadness GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    you cant just flash ANY NAND all wii's have unique keys for the NAND

you wii is essentially goosed dude, unless you install BootMii and dumped your NAND and Key, then you could with the use of a Infectus Programmer attempt to restore it that way

but without the keys, you aint getting in unfortunatley its a dead wii

9. m2c
    OP

Newcomer m2c Member

India
    One more question. Can I play original wii games via RM? If yes, which original games have autoboot? I searched around, but couldn't find list of original games that can autoboot.
    Also since mine is a korean model region hacked to US and now updated to 4.2 US with error: 003, which region code games can I run?

Drivekey is ruled out as my drive seems to be D3-2. Are there other mod chips that can autoboot via say SD/USB? Is WODE expected to work here?

Thanks for your time!

10. techboy

Member techboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    No chip yet for D3-2s. For autobooting with a chip (if you wait and one comes out): Some games will, some games won't. US Brawl certainly will not. If it did, we'd have this fixed.

Hope they'll take it back, since it was apparently used to start with. See about getting a Jap unit. They don't brick if region changed.

Also, it probably would play US games if it wasn't bricked.