Hacking Help needed WII showing Error: 003 post 4.2 upgrade

m2c

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Two days back I bought KOREAN WII which apparently was premodded. Today while checking out different channel and wiiconnect24, it asked me if I want to update to latest version and I clicked yes :-( Post update, it fails to start, showing just Error: 003 unauthorized device has been detected.

I did google around and came across this interesting site (which I should have seen before even playing with WII), but could find solution to my problem.

Please let me know if there is a way to recover from this mess.

xzxero

♥bong milk does good for the brain♥
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
known problem

no cure.

cIOSCORP 3.5 has a prevention for this though.

ive always wondered if you just downgrade to 3.5k or whatever and it will go away?

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If you could downgrade, yes a downgrade would fix it. The 003 is in the 4.2 menu (working in combination with IOS70).

Seeing that it was bought two days back, see about returning it. If you get a new one, install cIOSCORP or convert it back to Korean before you update so it won't brick.

m2c

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
techboy said:
If you could downgrade, yes a downgrade would fix it. The 003 is in the 4.2 menu (working in combination with IOS70).

Seeing that it was bought two days back, see about returning it. If you get a new one, install cIOSCORP or convert it back to Korean before you update so it won't brick.

Thanks a lot for quick replies!

I'm trying to see if the dealer can take it back.
Any hints about how to proceed to try to downgrade?
Any white-paper/guide which talks about how wii works (preload/loader/1st/2nd stage loader) and which part is in ROM and which one is in NAND (which needs to be rewritten) and I can try and experiment.

m2c

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
I'm trying to understand what exactly went wrong here. I assume CPU starts off with ROM which transfers control to code in NAND/SD/DVD? My update modified content of NAND to US version and upon boot, it checks for some hardware id and finds it to be korean and aborts. Is that correct?
So problem lies with the content of NAND? If I reflash the NAND, will my WII work? If yes, where do I get correct NAND dump for the same?

Thanks
Pawan

MarioMadness

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
you cant just flash ANY NAND all wii's have unique keys for the NAND

you wii is essentially goosed dude, unless you install BootMii and dumped your NAND and Key, then you could with the use of a Infectus Programmer attempt to restore it that way

but without the keys, you aint getting in unfortunatley its a dead wii

m2c

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
One more question. Can I play original wii games via RM? If yes, which original games have autoboot? I searched around, but couldn't find list of original games that can autoboot.
Also since mine is a korean model region hacked to US and now updated to 4.2 US with error: 003, which region code games can I run?

Drivekey is ruled out as my drive seems to be D3-2. Are there other mod chips that can autoboot via say SD/USB? Is WODE expected to work here?

Thanks for your time!

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
No chip yet for D3-2s. For autobooting with a chip (if you wait and one comes out): Some games will, some games won't. US Brawl certainly will not. If it did, we'd have this fixed.

Hope they'll take it back, since it was apparently used to start with. See about getting a Jap unit. They don't brick if region changed.

Also, it probably would play US games if it wasn't bricked.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to maybe close the gap a bit with Nvidia. Plus it would kinda put Nvidia at a future disadvantage since Nvidia can't make X86/64 CPUs? Intel and AMD licensing issues... I wonder how much that has held back innovation.
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i don't think nvidia wants to get in the x64 cpu market anyways
    you've seen how much intel is struggling getting into the gpu market
    and nvidia is already doing ARM
    i don't think they want to take more focus away from their gpus
    Yeah I think Nvidia s future lays in AI GPU acceleration stuff if they can get that going it's going to be super interesting in the long term
    AI assisted game creation might become a thing
    At least that's something I think would be pretty cool.
    Don some VR glasses and gloves and talk to the computer and paint entire worlds
    "OK Cortana I want that mountain a little taller and more snow on top, and I would like some random ancient pine forest around the bottom"
    "Now we need a spring fed river flowing down the north side and add some wild life appropriate for the biome"
    Many TBs of assets and the programming of something like that is going to be tough but I think it's something we might see in 20 years maybe sooner
    @Psionic Roshambo AI assisted game creation is kinda already here, there was recently that AI that can turn any 2D image into a fully modeled 3D object, it's not perfect, but it's a starting point, beats starting from zero
    +1
    before that there was one to generate a fully modeled scene from a 2D image
    +1
    but most recently, there was one that actually generates a working unity scene with terrain and textures already set up that you can import right into unity, that's a huge time saver right there
    +1
    and using LLMs to generate NPC dialogue and even dynamically generated quests is something i'm sure is already happening
    +1
    will just take some time for games made using those things to be completed and released
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @The Real Jdbye, it's bed bath and beyond you nitwit
    @K3Nv2 you said instructions with pictures, same difference
    Lol now with 32GBs of VRAM Ken?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No IKEA shit breaks within a month bed bath and beyond goes beyond
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Plus pictures don't always cut it with furniture when there's like 10 different bolt styles and they're just like figure it out
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's not like how people whack it to uremums onlyfans :teach:
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's not like how people whack it to uremums onlyfans :teach: