ROM Hack Help Needed - Mega Man Legacy Collection NES Rom Extraction

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 3,283
  • Replies 2
D

Deleted User

OP
I'm in the process of going through the digital copies of ROMs that I have and extracting which ones I can from them, partly for the fun of it, and partly because I'd like to avoid downloading them if I can. For MMLC, after extracting the files from the ROMFS, I'm pretty sure I've determined where the ROMs are. Problem is they're not lying out in the open - here are the filenames+sizes:

MegaMan1.cro ------ 2,456 KB
MegaMan2.cro ------ 4,652 KB
MegaMan3.cro ------ 4,724 KB
MegaMan4.cro ------ 9,156 KB
MegaMan5.cro ------ 4,556 KB
MegaMan6.cro ------ 9,296 KB

I've ascertained that if the ROMs are indeed in there, there's much more than the ROMs themselves. That doesn't surprise me considering how the games are emulated, but that leaves me wanting since I'm not sure how to begin looking in the files. I read in a thread here that .cro files are essentially .dll files for the 3DS, which lead me to this article on 3DBrew. Except that didn't help me since I don't know how to read that. What I have tried doing is looking through MegaMan1.cro in a hex editor and looking for the start of a header for the game, either a TNES or iNES header, but no luck.

I'm confident the ROMs are there, I just don't know what to do next. Can someone give me some pointers here? I know this is pretty useless, but at the very least it's a good exercise.

plushifoxed

I wanna talk more about kawaii stuff!
Trophies
Website
roxie.nyc
XP
Country
United States
IIRC, Digital Eclipse's method for porting the games in the MMLC was less straight emulation with patches (like most standard Virtual Console games) and more similar to a source port or a recreation using the original assets, to help assuage Capcom's fears about emulating the NES on non-Nintendo platforms.
There's a pretty extensive interview/article about it on Ars Technica, actually. Here you go.
Long story short, though, even if there's any hunks or chunks of actual pure NES code in there somewhere, don't expect it to be something you can just tack an iNES header onto and plunk into an emulator.

Reactions: Deleted User
D

Deleted User

OP
Hmm, I was afraid of that. I knew that the emulation was kind of... different concerning how it emulated the games, but that throws a mettaur in my plans. Should have just bought the PC version in that case, but oh well. I'll keep looking - thanks for the info.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    Veho @ Veho: :(