Hacking HELP! need to know which modchip my wii has??

trustkill123

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys, ok i bought a Wii like a month ago . Its a NTSC (USA) Wii. The guy whom i bought it from said that it is soft-modded as in no MODCHIP installed. It was kinda hard to believe then but anyway i didnt care and kept playing original games and also backup/copied games on it. Now, yesterday i happen to connect the Wii to the internet and it asked for an update and so i did.
After the update, all original games are working but backup/copied DVD's are not
frown.gif
the disc channel says "Unable to read disc".

My question :

Is there Anyway to know which modchip/softmod my Wii is using? so that i can further follow up on this issue of "update and die"

Waiting for a reply. Thanks!

Regards,
T.

trustkill123

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
umm ok but where exactly should i look? and would there be a certain name engraved on some chip or what?

EDIT: is it also possible that there might be no modchip at all? like a softmod or something?

acidrain

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You could try the Wiikey config disc. If it works, you'll know that you have a Wiikey, which is very likely, and you won't have to open your wii.

umm ok but where exactly should i look? and would there be a certain name engraved on some chip or what?

EDIT: is it also possible that there might be no modchip at all? like a softmod or something?

If you decide to open it, you have to look under the disc drive. Each chip is different, so compare it to pictures you see on the net (look at the reviews here on gbatemp, there are pictures).

And no, it isn't possible that you don't have a modchip. There is no soft mod for now.

trustkill123

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hey thanks a lot for the replies guys! i managed to open up my wii and found out this stupid little hanging chip attached to it, its a size of a microSD card :/ i dont have a camera at the moment otherwise i wouldve posted a pic, but i will try to post a pic ASAP. Also, i believe that i have seen the same modchip back in the PSONE days...maybe its the same one?? nothing written on it either.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I really don't want to buy this fap tab...