ROM Hack Help my 3ds boots with black screens

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not even ntrboothax can fix it?
In the links I provided tracking and keeping count those previous users who bricked their 3DS with this exact BSoD,

No. NTRboot or ntrboothax did not fix their bricks. It is bad shit of the highest degree in software bricking.

Working but not working. 3DS purgatory.

D

Deleted User

In the links I provided tracking and keeping count those previous users who bricked their 3DS with this exact BSoD,

No. NTRboot or ntrboothax did not fix their bricks. It is bad shit of the highest degree in software bricking.

Working but not working. 3DS purgatory.
A brick that ntrboothax can't fix is scary shit.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cause it seem like he was using sysnand base on the screenshot he provided, he can try ntrboot as last resort.
Yep from what I've seen it's unfixable atm.But because I cannot do some of the solutions listed I cannot tell whether or not they'd work.

In your case can you access the Luma and GM9 menu options ?

SirNapkin1334

Renound Aritst
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you brick your console from the SecureInfo_C you mentioned in the AIO megascript thread?

I was helping out the OP of this thread through PM chat but have ceased due to running out of ideas. I am willing to PM you my idea only if you're console is experiencing the described BSoD brick and you have attempted all these options. The thing is, the idea was tested by LogicIsHansom but was found not to work.

(see https://3ds.hacks.guide/troubleshooting)

- battery & SD card removal and reinsert
- SysNAND restore (full & safe)
- CTRtransfer
- CTRtransfer with lower firmware > attempt firmware updating through Recovery Mode
- remove_ext_data.gm9
- Lazarus3DS
- @NicknameGoesHere solution
uhh, YEAH, I totally have a console with ALL those problems...
Okay, no, I don't, but I'm interested as to what the idea is.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

A brick that ntrboothax can't fix is scary shit.
Yeah, since NTRBoot is the earliest possible code execution, Nintendo's own recovery tool, anything that it can't fix is....bad...
I mean, it can fix a hypothetical scenario where your NAND is corrupted, or missing entirely. Anything that NTRBoot cannot fix means that it is only fixable via hardware modifications and even then is still not the best chance of the system working. (MCU brick can be fixed by desoldering a certain part of the MCU hardware and replacing it with another), and GW bricks can be fixed via an eMMC reprogrammer, but I'm not sure if this is fixable.
The question is, is it a hardware issue, or a software issue? It's just so weird, since the Recovery Menu works, yet it has all the characteristics of a hardware issue, yet that's almost impossible....

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
uhh, YEAH, I totally have a console with ALL those problems...
Okay, no, I don't, but I'm interested as to what the idea is.
I will not post and share the idea here because the steps involve could end up bricking the 3DS further. If such a day comes where my own N3DSXL catches and experiences this BSoD brick, i will attempt the idea on my own system and share the information in case it does work.

I rather save the grief for those who are desparate enough to take drastic actions no matter how bad they could be, ending up breaking the 3DS even further. I don't want that on anyone.

NicknameGoesHere

RIP my sanity: 2018-2018
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another solution that might work: Completely re-install B9S. Some people seem to be having problems loading any boot.firm file, and I think that would mean that b9s is the problem here. The OTHER problem that I see is that this issue only happens on the "new" family of 3ds systems. I have a new 3ds (Black friday 2016) that got bricked this way. Apparently, reinstalling B9S and installing an old NAND backup, along with removing both the SD card AND THE GAME CARTRIDGE. Though @LogicIsHansom tried at least the removing SD and game cart part of this, and it didn't work for him.

Gamer4Ever

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
hmm, so this is a random one off thing? can/how do we avoid it if we don't have issues now with latest updates to cfw b9s in future etc?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hmm, so this is a random one off thing? can/how do we avoid it if we don't have issues now with latest updates to cfw b9s in future etc?

1. Never allow your 3DS to remain in sleep mode. It is either turned on or turned off. Some have reported bricking while their 3DS were in long duration of sleep. Others bricked while playing during a game. You can't prevent the latter from happening, but you can stop the former.

2. If your 3DS is coming from A9LH, it may be better to backup all your game saves, uninstall all your custom firmware stuff, return your 3DS back to original/stock firmware state, wipe out all your files on your main SD card, and reinstall CFW (Luma, B9S, GM9, etc) from scratch using the NTRboot flashcart method. Reinstall and rebuild your entire game library and restore your game saves with JKSM or Checkpoint.

3. If your game library is not too big, elect to use EmuNAND on a cheap (and real!) 4 or 8 GB SD card. You have to make the EmuNAND partition using the program 3DS Multi EmuNAND Creator injected with your 1.2 GB SysNAND .bin file and have Luma Configuration with (x) Autoboot EmuNAND selected. You need free space of about that much in size to create the hidden EmuNAND partition on the card.

3 (extendeded). Edited June 14, 2018 - There's an option to make EmuNAND in GodMode9. This is probably better than the 3DS MultiEmuNAND Creator. Press (HOME) button, SD format menu, EmuNAND size (full), Auto, GM9SD, and type in combo password. Make sure you backup whatever is on the SD card as everything will get erased on it.

Assuming this BSoD brick is software based and if it does corrupts the NAND, it is theorized that should the brick occur on EmuNAND, your SysNAND on the 3DS itself will stay intact. Your SD card may be the reactive armor in taking the hit, and you might be able to reformat the card and start over.

Some users may argue that EmuNAND is redundant and has no place in current day custom firmware. What they mean by this is that using EmuNAND places a very high rate of I/O stress on your SD card where you can prematurely wear and fry the flash memory on the card. Flash memory like SD cards and USB flash drives were designed for storage and not so much for continuous reading and writing. If you have a really expensive, large capacity SD card, EmuNAND might not be a solution for you.

4. Last but not least, I recommend that you have a spare 4 GB SD card with EmuNAND installed for safe keeping and in case of emergency. This is if you have a large SD card with lots of games installed, making EmuNAND impractical for you. It's not known for certain if a BSoD bricked 3DS is able to boot up normal through a backed up EmuNAND. If this is possible, perhaps known recovery methods have a better chance of success of unbricking the 3DS when operating in EmuNAND.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,
Reactions: Gamer4Ever

emuashui

Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
1. Never allow your 3DS to remain in sleep mode. It is either turned on or turned off. Some have reported bricking while their 3DS were in long duration of sleep. Others bricked while playing during a game. You can't prevent the latter from happening, but you can stop the former.

4. Last but not least, I recommend that you have a spare 4 GB SD card with EmuNAND installed for safe keeping and in case of emergency.

If i have a new card (eg. 64G) for creating emunand, is it possible to first use godmode9 to generate a new emunand to the card, then copy all files from the old card (currently being used within the 3ds) to the new card, then swap cards so that new card is now inserted into console while keeping the original card somewhere safe as backup card?

i once have an old 3ds (U) running a game cart put in sleep mode for 3 days then, blue screen rip. The shop guy simply replaced its motherboard with a (J) one lol

Last edited by emuashui,

SirNapkin1334

Renound Aritst
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If i have a new card (eg. 64G) for creating emunand, is it possible to first use godmode9 to generate a new emunand to the card, then copy all files from the old card (currently being used within the 3ds) to the new card, then swap cards so that new card is now inserted into console while keeping the original card somewhere safe as backup card?

i once have an old 3ds (U) running a game cart put in sleep mode for 3 days then, blue screen rip. The shop guy simply replaced its motherboard with a (J) one lol
How did you get a blue screen from that? Makes me worry for my brothrr's 3DS. What error code did you get?

emuashui

Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
How did you get a blue screen from that? Makes me worry for my brothrr's 3DS. What error code did you get?

bsod shd be bootrom problem, dunno why and forgot error code

That 3ds was sleeping by closing the lids when a card game in the console was running.

Last edited by emuashui,

NicknameGoesHere

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bsod shd be bootrom problem, dunno why and forgot error code

That 3ds was sleeping by closing the lids when a card game in the console was running.
Before I found out about this issue, I had put my new 3ds running Pokemon sun off a cart in sleep mode for a whole week.

NicknameGoesHere

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, because he said he got a blue screen.
That's a different error. Leaving any system on for too long can mess up files. Some people have even reported that they got a bootrom error in the middle of playing a zelda game, turned it off, and the system booted back up just fine.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

So let me get this straight.

You want to backup your SysNAND and create an EmuNAND onto your 64 GB SD card as a copy of your SysNAND, and use your new EmuNAND in place of your old SysNAND but you also want to occasionally update your SysNAND from your EmuNAND in order to make sure whatever progress and saves made on EmuNAND is being followed on SysNAND and if or when EmuNAND gets bricked, you got your SysNAND to recovery from to rebuild your EmuNAND? Correct?

If you want to do what I think you're trying to do: https://3ds.hacks.guide/move-emunand.html#section-iv---copy-emunand-to-sysnand
To copy SysNAND onto EmuNAND, you use that windows program mentioned above. I don't know if GodMode9 is capable of creating EmuNAND. Haven't looked much into all if its features.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up