Hacking Help Me

nero264

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok im not new to wii hacking but i got a problem i have a wd my passport 750gig and i formated it to fat32 32bit cluster and it went smoothly but heres the real problem when i try to add a game to my external hdd it takes up to a day or more,for example NSMB took 7hours and its only 352mb not so much.Can anybody help me figure out whats happening here.I am running windows 7

ddetkowski

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it is a usb external, right?
how old is this drive?
try formatting the entire drive with FAT32 GUI Formatter, or Easeus partition manager.
When's the last time you defragged your computer?
Your not going wireless to transfer from pc to usb? That takes hours.......
You ARE plugging the usb drive with a usb cord directly to your PC, right?
You ARE using Wii Backup Manager to transfer the game to your drive?
Need your INFO!

nero264

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1.Yes it is a external Usb
2.I baught this drive 2010 september,its call wd my passport 750gig its new
3.I used both and formated twice gave me same problem
4.My computer is a new one ill defrag it just for you LOL
5.no im not doing this wirelessly,i am using a vitrual machine.I am running windows 7 off a mac,its just like a pc
6.Yes i am using a Usb drive with the cord directly
7.yes i am using wii backup manger its updated to the newest version

All my Info

brausm08

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...those data transfer rates appear to me to be more ~USB1.1 than USB2.0....
...have you verified your computer is operating on USB2.0...pretty rare, but sometimes there can be motherboard issues which prevent 2.0, yet allow 1.1 (i've seen it only once in a modern system build, had to RMA the board).....

...rule that in/out by transferring data from a different computer to the HDD or from that computer to a different HDD/thumbdrive....

since it's a WD, you can get the WD Datalife Diagnostic tools pack which checks the health of the drive (google it...you can get it right from the WD website)....if anything fails, RMA it (you should be w/in the 6month warranty period)....i've had two WD passport drives which have failed on that check....

EDIT: apparently, WD discontinued support and supply of Data Lifeguard....if you can't find it third hand via Google, they do offer an Acronis tool, but i can't comment on how that would compare functionally to what DLG offers....

EDIT 2: found DLG on majorgeeks (MG is a trusted source)... ....just don't download the crap behind the RECOMMENDED DOWNLOAD advertisment when you get to the download page...

ddetkowski

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nero264 said:
4.My computer is a new one ill defrag it just for you LOL
Thank you for clearing that up.
USB drives are not all they're cracked up to be, out of 5 I have bought this year, 2 failed within days of using, good thing
all were in warranty.

brausm08

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ddetkowski makes a good point...my failure rate for portable HDDs is ~15%....with all the wiis i've modded and fitted with potable HDDs.....2 failures out of a dozen or so....

@ ddetkowski: BTW, i love your avatar.....i could watch it for days.....

nero264

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
brausm08 i could make sweet love to you and your avatar foreve lol thanks for you help and everything i might see myself become someone on this forum pretty helpful people

brausm08

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nero264 said:
brausm08 i could make sweet love to you and your avatar foreve lol thanks for you help and everything i might see myself become someone on this forum pretty helpful people
...err.....glad i could help??? have you confirmed what the issue is?

nero264

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no not yet i am running the files you gave me and im am doing homework also so i hope it works if it dont i regret making love to you lol

Plus you seem like a smart guy

ddetkowski

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
brausm08 said:

Thanks, brausm08! My friend xflak loves it too!
He's the one who developed ModMii for windows, BTW!!!
My avatar and HIS avatar together cracked me up!

brausm08

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ddetkowski said:
brausm08 said:

Thanks, brausm08! My friend xflak loves it too!
He's the one who developed ModMii for windows, BTW!!!
My avatar and HIS avatar together cracked me up!
NICE!, it's not the first time i've seen yours or xflax's, just the first time i've commented on it....it just seemed appropriate this time around.....
smile.gif
...i've never mentally put them together side by each, but now that you mention it......

oh yeah...i know of XFlax...he's quite highly regarded in these parts!....i got into modding before Modmii existed and understand the what and why, so....while i haven't needed it or used it for a start to finish mod, i have it and have used it to download files as a matter of convenience....it's an incredible tool, and one that i advise all the noobs 'round here to use (and i use the term 'noobs' lovingly, i've been there myself).....

...now that this thread has gotten so far off topic....i wait for the update from nero....

nero264

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok so i did all the test and i found out my hdd had bad sectors i have to return it btw can you tell me a very good external hdd to buy since i fairly noobish at this and your pro

brausm08

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i wouldn't say i'm a pro....but my tendancy is towards Western Digital...mostly because they have the best warranties and easy, no hassle, fast RMAs.... the last time i RMA'd a drive, i returned a refurb 320GB and received a 500GB in return, SCORE!....and i've heard of that from others too, especially if you've returned drives in the past....so it is possible that you may receive a 1TB in return.....typically it depends on whatever they have on hand....

EDIT: which did it fail--the quick test, the extended test, or both?

EDIT 2: my sister's HDD (a WD320GB), is also currently failing both tests, but it functions well enough for her....her's went bad because her 3 yr old jammed 3 discs into the wii... ....after it went sour, the drive would only load data onto or format the first 100GB befoe erroring out--and slowly like you described (though not as slow: about 2x slower than a normal drive).... after running a CHKDSK scan in windows, the rest of the drive was freed up for data again...but it still loads slow and still fails the TESTS in DLG....it's out of warranty, so i told her to live with it until it dies.... ... ...then i put a big ole' piece of duct tape across the disc slot of the wii! ...damn kids.

(the last RMA'd drive i spoke of (above) went bad because of the same thing; that one was completely hosed though. can't explain why a bunch of discs in the slot makes the HDD physically go bad, but it's happened twice now to some extent....)

nero264

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
both i read about bad sectors they say they drive has been handled roughly lol it droped a few and sometimes i would pull the usb plug halfway through a file transfer cause it takes so god dam long lol

btw tell me which external hdd your using whats the name i want to copy your loadout tell all the items you downloaded for your wii and installed on it

brausm08

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
my sig tells pretty much what my wii is.....i also use cIOS236v4...you don't need DarkCORP though...i only have it from my pre-HDD/pre-'MPT via SNEEK' days and no one's given me a good enough reason to go through the trouble of abandoning it...it's there, unused....meh.

currently i am using a WD 640GB Portable Elements on MY wii.... i've prepared: Cavalry 1TB (non-portable), WD 320GB Passport, 500GB WD Passport, Seagate FreeAgent Go 500GB...various thumbdrives....all non WD drives were supplied by the owners of the wii's

all HDDs use FAT32 filesystems.....not only because it's more stable than WBFS, but because WiiMC/MPlayerCE files can peacefully coexist all on the same partition...

brausm08

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes .wbfs files in FAT32 file system.....

i don't use Wii Game Manager (or whatever it's called), i do it all manually with an cmd line app call wbfs_file.exe, then move my files manually.....however, Wii Game Manager does the same thing.

brausm08

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i doubt it...i think the manager uses that same cmd behind the scenes....

...i just never really got into that app...i found the cmd first, figured it out, and that's just what i use....maybe someday i'll try WBM....

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, @Psionic Roshambo sorry but im not that used to listening to non game music +1