ROM Hack Help me make a hack of Super Mario 64 DS

supercard_lover

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could someone help me make a hack of Super Mario 64 DS? Aside from unpacking the rom with dslazy, I don't really know where to start.
frown.gif

Well, here's what I want the hack to be like.
__________________________________________________ ______________
Mario is the only playable charicter. So, when the game starts, you are playing as him.
happy.gif

When you enter the castle, you find yourself in "Bowser in the Dark World."
ohmy.gif
But when you enter the pipe that would normally take you to the battle with Bowser, you find yourself in "Bowser in the Fire Sea."
ohmy.gif
ohmy.gif

Again, when you enter the pipe that would normally take you to the battle with Bowser, you end up in "Bowser in the Sky."
unsure.gif
When you enter the pipe at the end of "Bowser in the Sky," you find yourself at the final bowser battle just like you normally would.
cool.gif

If this "entering the tube consept" is beyond public nds hacking knoledge, then I'll be open minded. Instead of using the tube consept, when you enter the castle, you find yourself in "Bowser in the Sky"
biggrin.gif

You'd have unlimited lives in the hack.
smile.gif

Last, I'd want to edit some of the text. So if anyone knows how to do so, please tell me.
lecture.gif

__________________________________________________ _______________

It's a bit of a complicated hack, but it would be pretty cool as well as please me, give me much enjoyment, and, perhaps, I hope, give others enjoyment as well. So, if someone wouldn't mind helping me out, I'd apriciate it.
nds.gif
yaynds.gif

p.s. I made the exact same post on another forum. So if you see this post on another site, it's no fraud. But no one on that site wants to help me, so I decided to ask here.

supercard_lover

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why do I want to do it you ask?

I'm trying to turn the game (or atlest three levels of the game) into something more classic. The idea is that what is supposed to be princess peach's castle is, in this hack, bowser's castle. So, when you go inside, you find yourself in "Bowser in the dark world" which very well could be a place that is inside bowser's castle. The same is true for fire sea and sky. So, you jorney threw bowsers castle untill you find bowser. You fight bowser and rescue peach. Makes sense right?

Yes, I know, princess peach's castle doesn't look much like bowser's castle. It's not perfect, but it's pretty good.

But I still haven't answered you question have I
happy.gif
I want to make this hack so that I can play it
nds.gif
. Oh, and for the record, if YOU want to play this hack, if I actually make this hack I'll be perfectly happy to upload the Ips file.
yaynds.gif

Now do I need to make the hack? No. I want to make the hack. If you know how to hack roms PLEASE TELL ME HOW I CAN MAKE THIS HACK!!! PLEASE!!!

If you help me, I'll treat you like this:
bow.gif

If you DON'T help me, I'm going to cry :'(

You don't want that right? So please
lecture.gif
me how to make this hack.

supercard_lover

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've tried. Or atleast I've tried to make a simpler version. What I do is I go to the folder data/data/stage. I then open up two folers (in diffren't windows, of corse). They are Koopa3_map and main_castle. I copy the files inside koopa3_map into the main_castle folder and rename the koopa3_map files with the name of there corrisponding main_castle file, in the prosses deleting the real main_castle files.

But, when I repack the game and put it on my flashcart (My flashcart has clean rom support) the game crashes at startup.

I've tried agian several times. Each time this is what I feel like doing
hate2.gif

unsure.gif
look, the fact is I don't really have a clue what I'm doing. I need some help!

Please teach
lecture.gif
me how to make my hack.

supercard_lover

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Help me? Please? I'm beggin you!

PLEASE HELP ME! :'( :'( :'(

Somebody here must know how to make this hack. PLEASE take the time to teach me. PLEEEEEESE.

cry.gif
cry.gif
cry.gif
cry.gif
cry.gif
cry.gif
cry.gif
cry.gif
cry.gif
cry.gif
cry.gif
cry.gif
cry.gif
cry.gif
cry.gif
cry.gif
cry.gif
cry.gif
cry.gif

MaHe

one lazy schmo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Slovenia
Umm, nobody hacked SM64DS yet, so you're completely on your own.
And by the way, if you don't even know how to start, I doubt you'll come anywhere. Start examining the file structure or something.

supercard_lover

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No one has hacked it yet? Really? I thought there was a trainer... and what about the test levels.

Okay, well, if I'm on my own, If still need some help on nds rom hacking in general. There seems to be very little information about it on the internet.

For example what do you mean by "The file structure"

Please, I'm willing to learn, but I can't learn without a teacher.

MaHe

one lazy schmo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Slovenia
For example what do you mean by "The file structure"
*sigh*

Just give it up.
By the way, trainers and test levels aren't the same. That's just a few values changed in the hex-editor or a simple stack of code.
But you can't be taught this kind of stuff, unfortunately, you just have to discover it. Good luck.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You ask for some serious stuff to happen here: most of this is on the very forefront of what you can do with a 8-16 bit era console hack let alone a DS which is not emulated that well, has far less debugging tools and argueably far more complex.

Mahe alluded to what you have to do:
identify the files responsible for the levels (maybe by name, if not be disassembly or corruption).
work out how the are put together (you might be able to get away with a simple repoint here but I doubt it and you better hope there is no complex compression and/or hashing being used).
Changing the start character is most likely an assembly level hack.
Infinite lives will probably invole finding all the lose a life routines (health, time, quicksand, donkey stampede etc) and changing the -1 to life value to something else (add 0 is a good bet), you could get lucky and find a cheat gives you the memory locations and then use a disassembler to find everything and then make a new instruction and add it in (either encode by hand or use an assembler and a hex editor)

Text should be simpler and just be a usual find the text (and possible decompress it), make a table, edit the text, repoint, reinsert.

As I said this is not a good choice for a first rom hack, if you want to learn though I made a preview release of some documents I have been working on a little while back (I add a paragraph more or rewrite another section every so often and have a much more detailed/better written document so I could make another preview release if you really wanted)
http://www.4shared.com/file/3636881/1f5f088d/rom101.html
take a wander over to http://www.romhacking.net/ as well and read some of the documents there, it does not all transfer to DS hacking but the underlying theory is present..

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
If someone has that (impressive) level of skill when it comes to DS coding then it would be easier for them to do it themself than hold your hand and tell you how to do it.

If you want to start learning to hack roms, start simpler. Much simpler.

supercard_lover

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If someone has that (impressive) level of skill when it comes to DS coding then it would be easier for them to do it themself than hold your hand and tell you how to do it.

If you want to start learning to hack roms, start simpler. Much simpler.

If someone would rather just do it for me, then by all means, do so. PLease. I just thought it would be helpful if I did the boring work.

But I'll learn myself to. And if I should start simpler, than I will.

Therefor, thanks for the link FAST6191, I'll check that out as soon as I get A chance.
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: because I already got burned out with breath of the wild, which for the most part is essentially...