Hacking Help! May have partially bricked my vita. Buttons unresponsive!

Emankcin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had successfully updated my vita to Henkaku Enso 3.65, and was trying to get SD2Vita to work. After restating the system several times, trying to get to the SD card, I gave up and went to just play a game, only to find that the buttons no longer work in game, or on vita shell. The only thing that works in game or vita shell is the left analog. No other buttons work, including start and select. I've since everything I can think of, including disabling the plugins, and even going into safe mode and rebuilding the database. Buttons still not working. They work just fine on the menu side, so I know it's not hardware. I've found that they also work in molecular shell. Anybody else encounter this? Anybody have a fix?

Stephano

pessimism = Realism
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't had any issues so I may not be that much help, but have you tried reinstalling Enso 3.65?
Do not uninstall it otherwise you lose CFW forever. Go to the updater and try reinstalling it.

I also recommend doing these two things just in case...
1) Install application Storage Manager: http://wololo.net/2016/10/26/release-application-storage-manager-v0-01-use-ur0-extra-space/
2.) S.O.S.:https://gbatemp.net/threads/release...-henkaku-enso-3-65.499044/page-2#post-7882966
These are just extra precausions considering we don't know what is going on.

Last edited by Stephano,

Tony_92

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Finland
Your L or R trigger button might be stuck.

If I remember correctly Vita goes to a failsafe where some buttons don't work, if L or R is being held continuously.

Emankcin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't had any issues so I may not be that much help, but have you tried reinstalling Enso 3.65?
Do not uninstall it otherwise you lose CFW forever. Go to the updater and try reinstalling it.
I also recommend doing these two things just in case...
1) Install application Storage Manager: http://wololo.net/2016/10/26/release-application-storage-manager-v0-01-use-ur0-extra-space/
2.) S.O.S.:https://gbatemp.net/threads/release...-henkaku-enso-3-65.499044/page-2#post-7882966
These are just extra precausions considering we don't know what is going on.
Reinstalling from the updater... Haven't considered that. But that would be safe? Didn't the Flow warn something against reinstalling 365 after it was already installed?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Your L or R trigger button might be stuck.

If I remember correctly Vita goes to a failsafe where some buttons don't work, if L or R is being held continuously.

I don't think they are stuck... Is it possible the system might think they are? And is there a way to undo this?

EDIT: I thank you for the SOS link, and it would probably work... unfortunately, once I am in the application, where I have no button input, it is not working. I still have the 1.82 vita shell vpk in my vpk folder. Might it be possible to uninstall the vita shell, and reinstall it from molecular shell?

Last edited by Emankcin,

Emankcin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Update: I checked the Henkaku installer, and it says to uninstall Henkaku before trying to install. I think this is exactly what the Flow warned against, and am afraid to try it.

Stephano

pessimism = Realism
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Update: I checked the Henkaku installer, and it says to uninstall Henkaku before trying to install. I think this is exactly what the Flow warned against, and am afraid to try it.
I believe that is for initial installation. But i'm not sure what he said about "Reinstalling" 3.65.

Last edited by Stephano,

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Go to the updater and try reinstalling it.
DO NOT DO THIS. The updater ONLY works on 3.60, trying to run it again on 3.65 WILL result in losing Henkaku. The exploit chain used to update to 3.65 with the current updater IS NOT present in 3.65, only in 3.60.

Try backing up all of your content including all plugin configs and plugins (either using QCMA or just backing up the memory card) and then doing a factory reset (this will not remove Enso).

If you have a lot of plugins, try disabling plugins one at a time (except SD2Vita/USBMC if applicable) and see if there's a conflicting plug-in.

Reactions: Stephano

Emankcin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DO NOT DO THIS. The updater ONLY works on 3.60, trying to run it again on 3.65 WILL result in losing Henkaku. The exploit chain used to update to 3.65 with the current updater IS NOT present in 3.65, only in 3.60.

Try backing up all of your content including all plugin configs and plugins (either using QCMA or just backing up the memory card) and then doing a factory reset (this will not remove Enso).

If you have a lot of plugins, try disabling plugins one at a time (except SD2Vita/USBMC if applicable) and see if there's a conflicting plug-in.

All plugins disabled. Did not work. I have two ideas from here. One is I try to reload my vitashell from an older backup, though I cannot remember which version it was. I don't remember if I made the backup before, or after I updated it to 1.82. If it is earlier, I could reinstall 1.82 (in theory) from the vpk from molecular shell, where it still sits in the vpk folder. If it is 1.82, maybe it will fix the issue. My other idea is to install 1.83 from molecular shell.

Or could I just run the vpk again from molecular shell? Would that cause problems if it's already installed?

Emankcin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for my incompetence earlier, it was not smart of me to suggest that.
I saw this thread that may have something useful to you.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/can-you-remap-buttons-on-jap-psvita-to-eu-layout.484754/

Not incompetence. You just forgot. I kinda did too, when I went to try it. Looked into the remapping idea, but it wouldn't let me map a button to the touchscreen or analog, which is the only thing that works in apps. At least, I know the analog for sure.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Does Molecular Shell still work as normal?

If so, try installing this: https://github.com/SMOKE5/VitaTester/releases < And see if there are any malfunctions with the buttons. Literally the only thing I can find on this specific issue is a hardware issue with the L or R button being damaged, causing buttons not to work in applications. Your idea that it's likely not a hardware malfunction may be inaccurate, as it appears the issue doesn't actually affect the LiveArea, just applications for some reason. https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/620272-playstation-vita/74793788 < Here is just one of many different threads and links of people having the exact same issue as you, and discovering it was indeed hardware.

As to your SD2Vita, did you not update the plugin before updating to 3.65? This was required if you had an SD2Vita, I have noted that a lot of video tutorials don't cover this, so it may have been overlooked. If this is the case, and your plugins are stored on ur0, if you still have access to MolecularShell you can just download the updated SD2Vita plugin and replace the old one in ur0, reboot, and everything should be working again. If that doesn't fix the issue, you may just need to reset everything and start from scratch, doing a factory reset and reconfiguring your plugins.

Emankcin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

If so, try installing this: https://github.com/SMOKE5/VitaTester/releases < And see if there are any malfunctions with the buttons. Literally the only thing I can find on this specific issue is a hardware issue with the L or R button being damaged, causing buttons not to work in applications. Your idea that it's likely not a hardware malfunction may be inaccurate, as it appears the issue doesn't actually affect the LiveArea, just applications for some reason. https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/620272-playstation-vita/74793788 < Here is just one of many different threads and links of people having the exact same issue as you, and discovering it was indeed hardware.

As to your SD2Vita, did you not update the plugin before updating to 3.65? This was required if you had an SD2Vita, I have noted that a lot of video tutorials don't cover this, so it may have been overlooked. If this is the case, and your plugins are stored on ur0, if you still have access to MolecularShell you can just download the updated SD2Vita plugin and replace the old one in ur0, reboot, and everything should be working again. If that doesn't fix the issue, you may just need to reset everything and start from scratch, doing a factory reset and reconfiguring your plugins.

I took it apart and looked at all the connections and buttons, and everything appeared normal. No corrosion, or foreign material. I understand what you are saying though, because all the searches I did gave me the same results. However, most of those incidents revolved around spills, and not hacked machines. I will still download and install the tool and check it, just to verify it, but everything that happened, before and after losing my buttons, I observed nearly realtime. I also know I read something about the button issue happening after an official Sony firmware update some years ago. Besides the live area, I have button functionality on the molecular shell.

The second point, yes. I did update the plugin. Though, not before updating to 3.65. I had the updated plugin loaded in the proper folder after the update. I will try the plugin again tomorrow, with the SD adaptor inserted properly, just to see if that's where I screwed up earlier.

Should it not be a hardware problem, any thoughts on reinstalling vitashell 1.82, or updating to 1.83 I mentioned earlier?

SKGleba

O ja pierdole!
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
If everything will fail i may create a updater that reinstalls fw AND flashes enso.
Altrough theres still a small risk that you will end up on stock, so be sure you tested everything.

denpanosekai

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm affected by this same problem. Today I just added a few games to my sd2vita, refreshed live area and suddenly I can only use the left analogue in games. Works fully outside of apps.

VitaTester shows my Vita hardware is perfectly healthy.

I recently hacked my vita through "the guide" about 2 weeks ago, so I'm pretty sure all my plugins are up to date. Now I'm going to delete a bunch of games.

How do I go about fully reinstalling? I'm at 3.60 henkaku-11, again as per the guide, using reFOOD, etc. I did have to go through Trinity since it was 3.70 at the time.

EDIT: I swapped SD2VITA adapters and everything is back to normal. It's so weird that everything worked normally outside of games but there you have it. Bizarre as fuck.

Last edited by denpanosekai,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Even my mum slept on that uremum