help getting past initial setup problem

Sketchy1

gbatemp's shadiest warez dealer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok so basically, I got this netbook computer. The screen is damaged, so I can't see a thing on it. Luckily though, i have a computer monitor. Now, I need to run a few things on windows XP, but can't, due to it needing initial setup, and I can't get passed the "adjusting screen resolution", because it just goes black (I know the computer didn't freeze, I just get " no signal" on the secondary monitor I connected it to)

Now, here's what I have available to work with:

-a USB flash drive, flashed with windows 7 setup so I can run CMD.

-a D drive with windows 7 installed and fully bootable (XP is on the C drive)

-another computer

I can't just install XP to the other computer because it isn't mine.

So, given my circumstances, any help?

Edit:
Also fogot to mention, no safe mode for XP due to windows not being fully set up, and VGA mode gives the same "adjusting screen resolution" problem

Last edited by Sketchy1,

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
I've had to do something like this before with a Windows 7 installation. What I did was create a Windows 7 VM with VirtualBox and used it as a reference to setup the other. You should be able to navigate the menu with Tab and the arrow keys.

Reactions: migles

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
there is usually an option on bios to force both screens, or to make the external as primary or something like that, had you check it?
but @Joom gave a really good idea which is making a virtual machine and use keyboard only to set it up mirroring what you have to do in both devices
however this may be an issue at disk partition because both computers will probably have a different partitoon scheme

Sketchy1

gbatemp's shadiest warez dealer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
there is usually an option on bios to force both screens, or to make the external as primary or something like that, had you check it?
but @Joom gave a really good idea which is making a virtual machine and use keyboard only to set it up mirroring what you have to do in both devices
however this may be an issue at disk partition because both computers will probably have a different partitoon scheme
Yeah, I checked the bios. No option like that. But I'm gonna do what @Joom said.

I'll try this first, because its faster but I just thought I can prolly cut the c partition to 5gb, then clone it to a usb and continue setup on the other computer. But I'll do virtual box first because it would be alot less time consuming

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Yeah, I checked the bios. No option like that. But I'm gonna do what @Joom said.

I'll try this first, because its faster but I just thought I can prolly cut the c partition to 5gb, then clone it to a usb and continue setup on the other computer. But I'll do virtual box first because it would be alot less time consuming
if windows was not such a bullshit with licensing and drivers. you could try to plug the HDD to a second computer, and either install windows with a virtual machine using the real HDD
or unplug your second machine HDD (to be safe) and install it directly on the laptop hdd...
the problem is, if you try that, either will refuse to boot, give you problems, or the least of the problems bitch about license.

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
if windows was not such a bullshit with licensing and drivers. you could try to plug the HDD to a second computer, and either install windows with a virtual machine using the real HDD
or unplug your second machine HDD (to be safe) and install it directly on the laptop hdd...
the problem is, if you try that, either will refuse to boot, give you problems, or the least of the problems bitch about license.
The biggest problem is that Windows is installed it configures itself to cater to the host machine. So, throwing it back in the laptop would, like you said, possibly not boot or at least result in BSoDs.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: But I bet that would be more for a flashcart than a consumer repro board.