ROM Hack Help getting Advance Wars: Days of Ruin to run in English

RadioShadow

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm in the processing of hacking Advance Wars: Days of Ruin, so custom maps (well more like replacing the original ones) can be added (just "Free Battle" maps for now).

Check this topic out for the information on the Map Headers: http://forums.warsworldnews.com/viewtopic....=11&t=11810

Now the only problem I've got is AWDoR actually contains 7 languages, which are:
- Japanese
- English (US)
- English (UK)
- French
- German
- Italian
- Spanish

Unlike a lot of US roms which just has English in, AWDoR has been set up to load these languages, depending on what firmware the DS is set to:
Japanese = English
English = English (US)
French = French
German = English (US)
Italian = English (US)
Spanish = Spanish

Now Kosheh did find a code to force the game to load one of the language:

Advance Wars Days of Ruin:
Game ID: YW2E 6E2AAFE5
Code: 02168F8C 000000LL

Advance Wars Dark Conflict:
Game ID: YW2P DF5E85E6
Code: 02168D2C 000000LL

LL = Language data to load.

00 = Japanese
01 = English (US) [English (UK) in Dark Conflict]
02 = French
03 = German
04 = Italion
05 = Spanish

Looking in Ideas Debugger, after that value, it shows e_ and then the text file to load.
DOR1-1.png

Now in the arm9.bin file, I did find this:
DOR2-1.png

Now I know depending on the language on the firmware, it loads one of those values to tell the game which language files to load.

I could if no solution is found just change f_%s & s_%s to e_%s which will make the game run in English if the firmware is set to French or Spanish, but I was hoping to find a way to tell the game which language files to load for each language on the DS firmware.

I'm also curious as to how the game decides which English UK or US files to load as they both the US and EU (called Advance Wars: Dark Conflict) version use the e_%s , let load different files.

I hope I've made sense. Hopefully someone can help with debugging, although I have idea which emulator to use. iDeaS seems to be limited.

injected11

Crescent Fresh™
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
RadioShadow said:
I'm in the processing of hacking Advance Wars: Days of Ruin, so custom maps (well more like replacing the original ones) can be added (just "Free Battle" maps for now).
What's wrong with the "Design Room" option in-game? It's a custom map maker.

Gilberd

Trophies
XP
Country
Taiwan
Is there a way to change the title screen of the game to the Japanese one?
Can there be a patch made to change the firmware?

Gilberd

Trophies
XP
Country
Taiwan
RadioShadow said:
Now in the arm9.bin file, I did find this:
DOR2-1.png

Now I know depending on the language on the firmware, it loads one of those values to tell the game which language files to load.

I could if no solution is found just change f_%s & s_%s to e_%s which will make the game run in English if the firmware is set to French or Spanish, but I was hoping to find a way to tell the game which language files to load for each language on the DS firmware.

I'm also curious as to how the game decides which English UK or US files to load as they both the US and EU (called Advance Wars: Dark Conflict) version use the e_%s , let load different files.

I hope I've made sense. Hopefully someone can help with debugging, although I have idea which emulator to use. iDeaS seems to be limited.
anyway to make the game load japanese on start up?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :tpi::rofl2: +1