Hardware Help creating a portable wii

joepassive

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
Hey. i'm trying to create a portable wii.
it's very easy: connecting a portable dvd to it [i have one that can get power from usb without its battery].

so for it to be portable, all i need is an external battery.
can anyone please tell me how to connect an external battery?
except this, no case mod will be created.
so thanks!

Kippykip

j e f f
Trophies
Website
kippykip.com
XP
Country
Australia

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since you're doing no case mod, I'm assuming pretty much any UPS battery backup should do. Just plug the wii power cord into one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/APC-BR1500G-B...1390441705&sr=8-6&keywords=ups+battery+backup

Judging by how little power the wii uses, you probably can get a good amount of playtime in. That being said, with no case mod, a separate screen, and such a heavy battery, this is anything but portable. And don't forget your wiimote and sensor bar!

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hate it when you ask a question on these forums and someone redirects you to sign up for another forum :\
Fact of the matter is, you won't find much help on a site like this for this kind of thing. ModRetro, however, is a site dedicated to projects exactly like this.

For example, in here, most people won't tell you that a portable DVD player is a terrible choice of screen. Assuming the DVD player even takes A/V input, you still have to keep the whole thing together as the the main board will have the controller that translates the composite (highly doubt it takes component) video into a format the screen can read. So if you want to do this right, you'll find another screen, such as the PS1, or a car backup camera screen. There's an entire sub-forum on ModRetro dedicated to screens.

And for powering the portable, there's a lot of thought that goes into that. What voltage batteries does he need? What about the Ah rating on them to get decent play-time? How do they need to be hooked up, what kind of regulators do they need to be fed through? How are you gonna charge them?

What kind of controls do you want to have? The Wii has a lot of controller options, so this is a complicated question that has garnered a fair amount of discussion, and is ultimately a big reason why Wii portables are rather rare compared to Gamecube portables.

To the OP, my first recommendation is to go to ModRetro and look at the mega-stickies. Look at other people's worklogs and learn from them. Don't need to sign up to go through them and get some information. Read up on case making, motherboard trimming, soldering, controls, screens... etc. and when you're ready, then you can start making your portable and perhaps starting asking questions if you still have any.

To Diego: I don't recognize you from ModRetro. Do you use a different screen name there?

Diego Liberal

Old School Gamer
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
To Diego: I don't recognize you from ModRetro. Do you use a different screen name there?

I do have a account, but since i barely went there, i forgot the user and even what mail i used to register there :wacko:
I used most of it to ask for help with some of my old videogames (i have a collection of old videogames), i won't do modifications at all.

I did customized my DSLite and used help from there with a Saturn to identify the motherboard, but still, i lack a soldering and a modchip for it, so the main help i need with it i postponed for later when i get that modchip.

What kind of controls do you want to have? The Wii has a lot of controller options, so this is a complicated question that has garnered a fair amount of discussion, and is ultimately a big reason why Wii portables are rather rare compared to Gamecube portables.

I totally agree with you, is as you said, the variety of controls. I would choose the Pro Classic Control, but still, needs to adapt not only the board from the PCC, but fhe one from the WiiMote, which would make the casing huge, even if you didn't used the buttons from the WiiMote, putting the board inside it is needed...I'm not sure if is possible to trim it. :unsure:

And I'm just talking about space, there is the part of the soldering to the correct places, cables, etc... the WiiMote uses bluetooth to connect, i don't know if there is a way to "bundle it" with wii board, i think it would be inside it connecting to nowhere asking for batteries...

I saw a Wii open not too long ago, i don't think would be possible to keep the disc drive on the portable, is all too tight/well-put. To adapt the board and include the Screen and cables, he surely would have to remove it (unless he wishes even bigger than the Wii... despite Wii small size, would make it too big to hold on hands)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: I just Luv having CEX :)