GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had been using a version of Nero that came with my DVD-R drive, but the software keeps crashing. So, I downloaded Alcohol 120%, thinking it would work for the purposes of burning movies to DVD-Rs. However, it doesn't seem to want to recognize VOG files. Any help getting started with this program?

Thanks

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Alcohol is great, but Alcohol is an image making/burning program. What you are trying to do, is burn a dvd compliant disk, with an image burner program. You have the wrong tool.

Nero is fine for burning vob type sets of data though. But it needs to be done correctly of course.

Not sure what form of Nero you are using though, so I can't walk you through the menu.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, I see. Well, I tried the cloneDVD thing, but didn't have any luck with that, either.

As for what version of Nero I'm using, it's called Nero SmartStart Essentials, and when I choose to burn something, it opens a program called Nero Express Essentials 7. I've actually been able to burn a couple of things with it in the past, but I can't seem to do anything with it now. Not sure what I'm doing differently. And yeah, sorry, I meant VOB files.
shy.gif

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, I have dvddecrypter, but it only allows me to have the source as a ROM drive and destination as my hard drive. Only if I select ISO under the mode area will it allow me to do it the other way around. However, the file is a VOB, which it won't process. I appreciate the help and am sorry I'm not getting it...but I ain't gettin' it.
wacko.gif

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Generally I find most downloads are either a compilation of files when the person chose "files" as the option during the process.

That or it comes as a form of image file.

If it's vob files, then you need to burn as a collection of files that is recognized as dvd compliant.

Usually in Nero you are given a choice early on in the pre burn set up to select DVD Video as the mode you wish to burn.
From there its a matter of selecting all the files in the folder where the video actually is. Then burning that collection.

Keep in mind, if you already have vob files, you have already "decrypted" the files.

If you need another straight forward program to compile the project, DVD shrink is a good choice. Because it has a menu choice where you select the files rather than a disc image. From there you select full back up. It's a fairly good program, and if you don't really need compressing it will just burn to the disc without further shrinking.

Remember, if you have vob files, you don't have an "image" and thus programs that function with "images" are not relevant.
Vobs are files, not images.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm...okay. Well, the movie file I had was an avi, which I used Super to convert to a DVD-compliant VOB file (just one file is what it outputted). But I can't seem to get any program to burn the file for me.

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hmm I'm fairly sure you can take an avi and make a viable dvd just through using Nero and no intermediary steps along the way.

I've done this with a lot of anime music videos I enjoyed enough to want to have as functional dvds.

You might want to re start your task and consider letting Nero make the dvd for you.

I don't mind Super, but I have not had a lot of use for it in all matters. I mainly have used Super for making video content I find online into more usable files. But I usually only get to view said content on the computer without further conversion with another program.

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
download freeware tool burn@once and burn your vobs
smile.gif

loads of other software can burn VIDEO_TS files (vobs) maby also try the latest version of nero and see if it still causes problems
smile.gif

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Panzer Tacticer said:
Hmm I'm fairly sure you can take an avi and make a viable dvd just through using Nero and no intermediary steps along the way.

I've done this with a lot of anime music videos I enjoyed enough to want to have as functional dvds.

You might want to re start your task and consider letting Nero make the dvd for you.

Yeah, I know you're right, because I've done it myself. I just don't remember how.
frown.gif

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I think I know what the problem is. The disc that came with my Phillips DVD-RW only has a trial version of Nero Vision 4 Essentials, which is the program that will automatically convert and burn an avi file to a DVD-compliant format, etc. The trial is up on the software. Hmm...

@ kobykaan: Thanks for the link. I'll give that a try.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzmdrobXH34