Hacking Help a newbie get his 3DS Gateway working again

Berabouman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I completely stopped playing my 3DS about a year and a half ago because IRL got so busy, and recently I've wanted to pick it up again. I have a Gateway (I think it's on version 4 or so?) and I barely remember how to get it running, but little else.

I check back on these forums a bit and Google a bit as well but I'm bowled over by the sheer amount of information there is! There's this thing called a Gateway Ultra now, and emunands, and updates, and...I just want to play some 3DS games. :) It's all a bit much to take in!

About the only things I can remember are that I need to update my Gateway firmware because it's really old, and that I need to backup my emunand somehow. That's it.

There are really only three games I want to play :

Bravely Second
Codename : Steam
Link to the Past sequel

Should I just use Citra to play them? But then again, it seems like a shame to waste a 3DS that I already have...

RitchieRitchie

Trophies
XP
Country
replace launcher file. Boot into gateway mode with your card (I assume you us the ds profile?) I also assume you have an emunand set up? If so go to settings and update (making sure that it says GW before your firmware number). The whole thing should take 2 minutes.

Berabouman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I downloaded the Gateway Ultra 3.41 package from the site, I assume that is the right one.

I use the DS profile exploit, yes. I haven't touched my emunand since I got my Gateway working 2 years ago...no idea if I need to do anything to it. I assume that since I can run DS games, it should have no issues. :)

What do you mean by settings? In the card? On the 3DS?

Sorry for the questions, complete n00b here. My 3DS was actually set up by the person I bought the Gateway from, that's why I am so confused and can't remember much.

RitchieRitchie

Trophies
XP
Country
In the package you downloaded open the ultra folder. Inside there is the launcher.day file. Put that on the root of your sd card (the big one that goes in the 3ds not the mini-sd on your gateway.

Boot 3ds. Enter gateway mode. Do you know if you have an emunand? If you do then you simply update your 3ds via settings. If you don't, create one in the gateway menu (it's easy, just follow the instructions). When creating emunand it will format your card so if you have any important saves etc make a copy beforehand.

Berabouman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, transferred launcher.dat to both microSD card and SD card, as well as backed up my emunand. I went to the Settings menu (in the Gateway menu) but I didn't see anything to run there, so I just transferred my new games to the microSD card and tried to run them.

So far it runs the exploit but the screen hangs at the Nintendo 3DS logo, before the game usually runs. I vaguely remember needing to run the launcher.dat somehow, but I can't remember how I did it.

Almost there folks! Just one more step! Also, thanks for all the help I've received so far!

RitchieRitchie

Trophies
XP
Country
I think the problem is that your emunand isn't on the latest firmware - you need to update it via system settings which will connect and download/imnstall it from Nintendo. Are you 100% sure you have an emunand? If so, just go to settings and update through there, checking that it says GW (followed by your current firmware number).

Berabouman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I disabled my wi-fi connection since I didn't want it to accidentally connect and brick my system. My firmware version says 4.4.0-10U.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Oh yeah, do I need to do anything with the blue card? I checked the Gateway quick-start guide and it showed a bunch of files being transferred to the blue card...or do I only need to do that during the initial setup?

RitchieRitchie

Trophies
XP
Country
You only need the blue card to set up the ds exploit - it sounds like you have already done this so don't need to worry about it.

I suspect you don't have an emunand. If you want to play the newer games you will need to create one and then update it to the latest firmware. You always know if you are on emunand as it will have the letters GW before your fw whe4n you go to system settings (ie GW4.4.0).

So. Create an emunand (backing up any save etc).
Boot into gateway mode.
Go into system settings it will say GW4.4.0
Update your 3ds (you'll need to put your wifi on for this and be connected to the net). Once in system settings and have seen that you are on GW4.4.0 go straight to the update DO NOT EXIT SYSTEM SETTINGS or you may update your sysnand.

RitchieRitchie

Trophies
XP
Country
Are you sure you created an emunand? You have to select the option 'Create Emunand' when you are on the gateway menu. To access that hold the L shoulder button when you run the ds exploit. You will then be in the gateway menu. The 8th icon along is Format Emunand. Select this and just follow the prompts. After doing this the next time you go into gateway mode check your system settings and it should have GW before your fw number.

Whatever you do, do not update unless you see the GW!

Berabouman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, I need to sleep now so I won't do anything else, but what do I do after I update the 3DS via System Update? Do I just turn it off so I don't accidentally update the sysnand? I managed to get the GW to display.

Thanks for being so patient with me!

RitchieRitchie

Trophies
XP
Country
Once you've updated your emunand you will be kicked out of gateway mode and back into sysnand. You then have to go into gateway mode again and then check your system to see if it says GW.

Berabouman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's not what I meant...I already made the emunand. What I wanted to know is what to do after updating the system firmware via the connection to Nintendo, so I don't accidentally brick anything.

Berabouman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, I updated the 3DS through the system update, but now when I run the DS exploit (through Profile) there are no games displayed when I press Select over the second icon (the "There is nothing inserted in the Game Card slot) icon.

RitchieRitchie

Trophies
XP
Country
Are you in gateway mode? ie Have you seen the dragon Gateway icon? If not then you might need to reinstall the ds exploit with the blue card.

The key thing is this - when you switch off your 3ds and then switch it back on and go to settings are you still on 4.4?

Also, the launcher.dat file you need on your sd card is the one form Gateway 3.72 BETA (the latest release).

Last edited by RitchieRitchie,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Sonic Angel Knight, Meth cake lol