Homebrew RELEASE Heart of Darkness

XaneTenshi

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
So what you are saying is that the size might vary from language to language then?

In any case, 0kb is clearly wrong. I'll see what I can do about it. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction

niuus

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Hi there,

hode is a rewrite of the engine used in the game Heart of Darkness made by Amazing Studio. It was made by Grégory Montoir.

I just wrote a port for Nintendo Switch (and also for PS Vita).

NRO and install instructions can be found here: https://github.com/usineur/hode/releases/latest

As usual, read carefully the release page.

Screenshots:

Have fun,
usineur
I have just found out about this only two days ago. I gave it a go and... wow, man. So many great memories :toot:

Tried the Windows files, worked great, i'm on World 2 currently. Some bugs here and there, i'll report them on your GitHub in case you need it.

I hope you get to achieve full compatibility with the PSX version too, since from i have seen, it has backgrounds with a bit more color depth.

I would kill a dictator for a Wii port! :yaywii:

usineur

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Tried the Windows files, worked great, i'm on World 2 currently. Some bugs here and there, i'll report them on your GitHub in case you need it.

I hope you get to achieve full compatibility with the PSX version too, since from i have seen, it has backgrounds with a bit more color depth.
I'm not working on the engine, even if sometimes I fix minor bugs, but I just work on and maintain Vita and Switch ports.

For main problems, you should contact the author of the engine.

niuus

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
I'm not working on the engine, even if sometimes I fix minor bugs, but I just work on and maintain Vita and Switch ports.

For main problems, you should contact the author of the engine.
I know. I would just report bugs about the Vita port, clearly.

Thanks again for your work. Cheers!

XaneTenshi

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
Alright I think it's time I started reporting a few bugs, I took a break from this game after having a RIDICULOUS HARD time getting through Level 3, where, after I finally got through, I watched the Cutscene and was ready and excited to take on level 4....And the game threw me back to Level 2 Screen 1! I just made it back to the same place (with the same amount of frustration I might add), and IT.HAPPENED.AGAIN. I can't proceed with the game like this:/

I have a few other minor bugs to report, but I have some screens of those that should make them easier to find. Just gotta get them off the SD Card first.

usineur

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Alright I think it's time I started reporting a few bugs, I took a break from this game after having a RIDICULOUS HARD time getting through Level 3, where, after I finally got through, I watched the Cutscene and was ready and excited to take on level 4....And the game threw me back to Level 2 Screen 1! I just made it back to the same place (with the same amount of frustration I might add), and IT.HAPPENED.AGAIN. I can't proceed with the game like this:/
Someone on Github reported me a similar bug, but I never was able to reproduce it.

I understand your frustration on level 3, there is a bug that did not detect checkpoint 5 and the following ones therefore.
Each time you die, you start again on checkpoint 4. :-/

Could you please retry with this nro and this setup.cfg (if needed, it starts on level 3, checkpoint 4) ?

Additional note: in this version, press "-" to skip cutscenes, and "+" to display exit confirmation screen

Last edited by usineur,

XaneTenshi

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
Someone on Github reported me a similar bug, but I never was able to reproduce it.

I understand your frustration on level 3, there is a bug that did not detect checkpoint 5 and the following ones therefore.
Each time you die, you start again on checkpoint 4. :-/

Could you please retry with this nro and this setup.cfg (if needed, it starts on level 3, checkpoint 4) ?

Additional note: in this version, press "-" to skip cutscenes, and "+" to display exit confirmation screen

Thanks for the reply. I tested the nro with my own setup.cfg (took a backup of it the moment I got back to Level 3, Checkpoint 4, in case the problem happened again) and it turns out that it fixes both of my issues:D

I died once while trying to get through the same area, and restarted at a new, later checkpoint. And the game proceeded just fine to level 4 after the Cutscene. Currently, I have nothing to report after that. So thanks for fixing that.

I promised you some screens earlier of some other bugs, here they are. They were found with v. 0.2.7.

Close to the end of level 2, you get thrown down into a swamp/lake of sorts and have to escape a Serpent like creature. Originally, you are supposed to continuously swim to the right in order to get to safe land and avoid getting eating, but I found that the Serpent never appeared after you initially escape from it.

2020020716405400-1F2B76D171D120E8EC32075B1713242F.jpg 2020020716410700-1F2B76D171D120E8EC32075B1713242F.jpg 2020020716412100-1F2B76D171D120E8EC32075B1713242F.jpg

And back in that damned Level 3, a bug makes it so that when you are blasting a certain Stalk with the Energy Ball, sometimes only the part of the stalk that you hit disappears. This leaves you with a serious issue, because one this happens, even though the stalk is still climbable, you can't climb all the way up to the next screen and you can't revert the stalk to it's seed form to try again. The only solution to this is to kill yourself to reset it, and re-starting from that god forsaken checkpoint is hell:/ It IS pretty funny that if you destroy all the parts of the stalk, you can still climb it XD

2020012917064300-1F2B76D171D120E8EC32075B1713242F.jpg 2020020722581500-1F2B76D171D120E8EC32075B1713242F.jpg 2020020722584500-1F2B76D171D120E8EC32075B1713242F.jpg

usineur

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thanks for the reply. I tested the nro with my own setup.cfg (took a backup of it the moment I got back to Level 3, Checkpoint 4, in case the problem happened again) and it turns out that it fixes both of my issues:D

I died once while trying to get through the same area, and restarted at a new, later checkpoint. And the game proceeded just fine to level 4 after the Cutscene. Currently, I have nothing to report after that. So thanks for fixing that.

Nice :)

I promised you some screens earlier of some other bugs, here they are. They were found with v. 0.2.7.

Close to the end of level 2, you get thrown down into a swamp/lake of sorts and have to escape a Serpent like creature. Originally, you are supposed to continuously swim to the right in order to get to safe land and avoid getting eating, but I found that the Serpent never appeared after you initially escape from it.

View attachment 195729 View attachment 195730 View attachment 195731

And back in that damned Level 3, a bug makes it so that when you are blasting a certain Stalk with the Energy Ball, sometimes only the part of the stalk that you hit disappears. This leaves you with a serious issue, because one this happens, even though the stalk is still climbable, you can't climb all the way up to the next screen and you can't revert the stalk to it's seed form to try again. The only solution to this is to kill yourself to reset it, and re-starting from that god forsaken checkpoint is hell:/ It IS pretty funny that if you destroy all the parts of the stalk, you can still climb it XD

View attachment 195733 View attachment 195734 View attachment 195735

Well those bugs are related to the engine itself, not specifically the ports. cyx is the only one able to fix them.

Have a title screen been fixed ?
Menu is suppored since 0.2.6 version. Only settings submenu is not implemented yet.

Reactions: XaneTenshi

niuus

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
So, i went back to the Vita port yesterday, after finishing the Wii port. Did anyone else lose the ability to shoot the charged energy balls? I can only jump, run, and fire.

usineur

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
So, i went back to the Vita port yesterday, after finishing the Wii port. Did anyone else lose the ability to shoot the charged energy balls? I can only jump, run, and fire.
Just had a look at wii port code (here: https://pastebin.com/YPpGEc3M)

It seems that on WII (line 322), button "Y" is mapped as a combination of "shoot + run", which is the way to launch energy balls on 0.2.8 PC version, such as my Vita and Switch ports, when you are using a controller (if you play with the keyboard you can press "D" or "Space")

Maybe it will be added by cyx in the new version. If not, I could add it for my ports in next releases.

Last edited by usineur,

niuus

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Just had a look at wii port code (here: https://pastebin.com/YPpGEc3M)

It seems that on WII (line 322), button "Y" is mapped as a combination of "shoot + run", which is the way to launch energy balls on 0.2.8 PC version, such as my Vita and Switch ports, when you are using a controller (if you play with the keyboard you can press "D" or "Space")

Maybe it will be added by cyx in the new version. If not, I could add it for my ports in next releases.
Oh! But this is happening to me on the Vita version only, mind you. I just found out yesterday since i got into the caves level, wasn't sure if anyone else had the same problem.

Cyx released a new Wii version today (discussed here), mappings changed a bit but all buttons are working at the moment.

Another funny thing is that the Playstation version is working better on Vita but not on the Wii, where it does not show any backgrounds.

BillyJo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
did someone have done a forwarder for this ? if not, i've build one.

Attachments

• HeartofDarkness_05469B2B22970000.rar
    652.9 KB · Views: 166
Last edited by BillyJo,

jurai

Trophies
XP
Country
Maybe I'm just crazy but I'm on level 3 screen 10 and it feels like the game or the shadow creatures are moving much faster than they should be. watched some long plays of the PC and psx versions and both seem to show this segment as much more manageable than what I'm getting with on the switch docked as the shadows move much faster and more aggressively than the five play through videos I checked (I have not tried hode itself on pc, videos I watched were the original games)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @K3Nv2, prove it