Hacking Health and Warning Screen - Sound is HIGHER pitched??

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
Yesterday I turned on my NDS before dinner and played some nesDS. Everything was fine and perfect, I shut it down as we entered the food establishment. Later that night I turned it on again to play some games and noticed that the health and warning screen's sound is now higher pitched and what appears to be at a faster pace. I turned off the NDS and back on, and it was still doing it. I then turned it off, removed all my Flash kits, and turned it back on yet the sound issue remains. All of my games, ROMs, dpg movies, mp3s play back with no issues, the sound is the same. This only appears to be effecting the boot up screen of the NDS. I let my DS sit for the night and tried it again this afternoon, the weird boot up sound problem is still there. I charged it for a bit and then tried it with a Retail cart in Slot1 with no change. The sounds on the main menu of the NDS are all normal, when I click on a menu everything sounds how it should, the clock ticks as expected, etc.

I am thus assuming this is some issue with the firmware, but I am unsure what could have caused this or how to fix it. I have no desire to install flashME. I am not really worried about this (actually don't really care all that much), it is just the *thinker* in me would like to understand why it is doing this.

I was hoping that someone who is more familiar with the firmware or who maybe has experienced this problem can explain to me what is going on. I'm not sure if this is a sign of things to come or just a sing that the 1st gen NDSes have quirks.

here is an mp3 of the sound....
sendspace: http://www.sendspace.com/file/44yyo0
megaupload: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=13LDU22C
rapidshare: http://rapidshare.com/files/99275136/gbate...psound.mp3.html

Thanks,
-AW

0xyG3N

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
strange
wacko.gif

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Another World said:
BlueStar said:
Is it your birthday?

yeah actually it is my birthday and i have it set in the nds. are you telling me it changes bootup sound on your birthday?

that would be just odd... =)

-AW

Happy Birthday toooo yoooouuuu

Birthday Surprises
Enter a chat room in PictoChat on the date that you entered as your birthday in the system settings. The message "Happy Birthday! Today is [your name's] birthday!" will appear. Also on your birthday, when you turn on the DS you will hear a different sound.

Just think, all that time you spent recording your DS booting up, you could have spent eating cake and getting drunk
grog.gif

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
azotyp said:
Yeah in christmas there are different tones too , on new year too .

wow i feel silly! i never knew it did that. no cake or happy birthday, just a different boot up tone!

thanks for the info, i'm at ease now =)

-aw

Posts merged

QUOTE(BlueStar @ Mar 13 2008, 06:45 PM) Just think, all that time you spent recording your DS booting up, you could have spent eating cake and getting drunk
grog.gif

since i was a little kid my mum has baked a chocolate lovers cake for me out of a recepie book that is from 1979. i have that to look forward to tonight along with some gaming!

thanks for the happy b-day =)

-aw

SP0RK

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lol, the tone freaked me out just the same way when it was my birthday too. hope you have a great birthday!
yaynds.gif

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Happy birthday!

I was actually surprised myself just yesterday (my birthday). I knew the health and safety warning screen had a higher pitch, but I didn't realize DSLinux also had a birthday message, which it got by reading the date from the DS firmware. When I loaded DSLinux to start a web browser, I was presented with an ASCII cake. Very nice indeed.

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
Happy Birthday! It suprised me too; also knew it was coming but I was up late the night before and didn't notice it slip past midnight while I was still playing
smile.gif
Is it sad when your DS is the first person to wish you a happy birthday?

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Also, if you enter the Pictochat on your birthday, there will be colorfull greeting saying Happy Birthdy!! But it only shows for that one day..

And, by the way..Happy Birthday!! Cheers..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYZD7ykz9aQ