Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Yo peeps!

I've got a little project to be done in the future and one thing I would require for it is the ability to capture HDMI (and component/scart if possible). Last gen consoles don't really support automatic capture, hence the need. Video capture would be essential, since frame capture is possible if frames are needed.

So we get to the actual question:
What device would you suggest? Output could be directly to USB 3.0 or via network to my Macbook Pro.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What is your budget? Do you learn towards video engineer (trying to get some of the "gamer" stuff to play with proper video editing setups, much less something on OSX, is not fun) or do you want things to jump immediately to youtube/twitched/whatever the kids are using nowadays? Is HDCP going to be an issue (though one easily and reasonably cheaply sorted I guess -- many "splitters" coming out of China will do the deed)? Are real time/low latency or passthrough options needed, you can negate this with a good splitter but it might not be necessary?

What are you calling automatic capture, I am guessing "auto"/"self" capture but I would like to be sure.

Likewise I have not seen the greatest overlap between component (though you might want to be careful when saying scart and some assume you are talking about old style composite) and HDMI and what there is you will typically find to be expensive or middling compared to a dedicated box for one or the other.

We had a similar thread the other month
http://gbatemp.net/threads/recording-video-game-consoles.360953/

It will probably come down to your budget (you will be lucky to get something new that does HDMI well for less than a hundred Euros, though it looks to be possible).

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have been strongly considering some of the avermedia stuff as they a) seem to be at least halfway towards being useful to one that wants to do video "properly" (which is to say capture it and edit it using big boy tools, many others seem to be soft hooks for less than stellar software or not so functional outside it) and b)somewhat cheaper than the alternatives. They do not seem to have the greatest presence in the English speaking world though (on in the continent they seem to be as big as elgato, Roxio, black magic/Atem, Hauppauge and the others you often see dotted around the place). No idea why that is -- game playing/capture types seem to be ridiculously cheap as a whole. It is probably your best bet for getting under the hundred Euro mark as well, bonus is if you can suffer component (720p, 1080i should be quite possible) then you can get quite cheap.

Personally I like capturing to my PC, else capturing raw/lossless (or at worst very high quality) to something else for later editing. Then again I detest putting raw footage up for public consumption so that is probably part of that.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Thanks for the suggestions so far!

As for the actual need, it's purely for capturing gameplay by itself from the PS3/360. No need for BluRay input, Netflix or anything else like that. Component input is sort of moot, since most consoles are starting to get emulators powerful enough for near 100% speed and compatibility. Now if only I had a computer to get the performance :unsure:

A few points:
Automatic capture = built into the device itself à la PS4.
The basic idea I had for the setup would be the console -> HDMI cable -> Capture device -> HDMI -> TV. It could also work with a splitter and one output for TV and one for the capturing. The main point would be the possibility of getting still screens from live gameplay.
No need for Live Streaming. Not going to twitch things up so to say.
If pass through was built in, I'd figure low latency would be good.

The timeframe for the purchase would probably be in a few months, but I'm looking at different options. Id doesn't necessarily need to be a separate box between the TV and console. It could just as well be a dongle/whatnot to connect directly to the computer with the actual footage going live on the screen.

EDIT: Also, Editing would be with "Pro" level tools as I've got Final Cut Pro available when needed.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Elgato does have component/HDMI passthrough. Whatever your input is, it can stream that AND pass through over HDMI out to the TV. It's how I play my 360 and Xbox currently, if there is any reduction in quality or latency from having to re-output the video, I can not see it.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I got an Elgato as well for capping last gen console.

Works fine for that. Needs a hdcp stripper for ps3, unless you want to faff around using the component input.

Will cap older consoles as well, although for those that don't support component, you'll have to chain up. RGB scart from console->component transcoder->elgato.

jargus

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
To use HDMI on PS# you need something like this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003UYOEMI/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The only things that would get you USB 3 are the Intensity Shuttle or the Extremecap U3. Both have limited motherboard compatibility.

The current Avermedia products do not accept retro consoles (non component) with an upscaler of some kind. I'd also avoid their products right now because official support is rather crappy.

Elgato and Hauppauge can record retro consoles and 1080p. Though both may need a second cable for composite from the manufacturer to get the passthrough working on your TV. I rank Elgato slightly higher because of its included software and it a bit friendlier with streaming. Neither one will do you wrong though. If you are planning to just record and then edit then it makes little difference. If you a have a a second monitor with HDMI input you could record at your PC with one while the other you play off of.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Thank you. Hope you're in good spirits today like I am. :)