HDMI Cables: What's the difference?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by GamerzHell9137, Oct 14, 2013.

1. GamerzHell9137
    OP

GamerzHell9137 GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 1, 2011
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    So i was checking out my GPU and it supports HDMI but.. its 1.4a.
    I checked the shop here and they only have 1.4 cables.
    I'd like to ask if the 1.4 cable would be possible to jack in/work on my GPU that has 1.4a socket?

EDIT:And one more thing, i'm thinking on playing emulator games, mostly rhythm so if someone could answer me if there's gonna be lag with the cable. I played them with VGA cables and had no lag.

2. Fishaman P

Fishaman P Speedrunner

Jan 2, 2010
    United States
    Wisconsin
    It will definitely work; the cable just won't support fancy-schmancy stereoscopic 3D.

3. GamerzHell9137
    OP

GamerzHell9137 GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 1, 2011
    Bosnia and Herzegovina

Don't care really, i just want to play some PSP games on my HDTV :yay:

Welp gonna get them now.

Cheers~

4. trumpet-205

trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    There is no version when it comes to HDMI cable, since all HDMI version use the same pin layout.

HDMI cable, as long it is well built, will work in any scenario.

5. Minox

Minox Spytech Employee

Supervisor
    Aug 27, 2007
    Yes indeed, vendors marking cables as HDMI 1.4 or similar are just trying to make it seem like they're different and that you need the new one.

6. Kirito-kun

Kirito-kun Disciple of GabeN

Banned
    Jul 23, 2013
    Canada
    22nd Floor
    All HDMI cables are the same. As long as the connector fit, it'll work. HDMI is a digital signal, which means that as long as there's an image, you're getting 100% of the quality you could ever get. Also don't be afraid to get a cable from a cheap brand for the same reason. Just get the cable, it'll work.

7. trumpet-205

trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    Yes and no. Cheap cable does not work when you plan to cover a great distance (you simply won't get any images).

I would ignore cable rating and version number, but buy moderately thick cable. If you plan to leave cable plugged in for a very long time you may want gold plated connector to prevent oxidation.

8. FireSeel

FireSeel GBAtemp Regular

Mar 2, 2013
    The versions of hdmi only affects the devices, not the cables, so all cables will have the same pins.