Hdd upgrade

luke9511

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey all a couple of years ago I bought a Xbox and did a full update of the dash at the time and after that I soft modded my Xbox by hot swapping the drive and install unleashx and it's been working great, now I want to upgrade the hdd and was wondering what the best way to do it was.

I have a 80gig IDE hard drive that I pulled out of a spare pc I have, but don't know if I can lock it or not, I do remember reading a while back that there was two things you can do to where you don't have to lock it, one being a mod chip of course and the second one is something else involving flashing something on the Xbox if I remember correctly.

But either way what's the best thing to do, try this drive out and hope for the best or something else? Thanks in advance for any help and advice

K3Nv2

Village Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think there might be some sort of hotswap method you can do with another xbox to upgrade your hdd I dont remember exact stepps. Easier just to check if it's lockable and do the softmod again.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
You can dump your HDD key and use XBoxHD Maker to build a new harddrive and lock it with your key ;]
I haven't done it in ages so I'm not really useful for it.

luke9511

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After googling the tsop thing I think I will try the hd maker instead and hope for the best also unleashx works fine no issues but the ms dash when I try to load it comes up with error 21 which don't really bother me since I have no use for it a all but will that cause my any issues trying to upgrade the hdd? Also how do I dump the key from the old drive?

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Hum..
Dumping the key.....
(god this is a long time ago)
EEPROMmagic?
Something similar to that..
Idk anymore, you'll have to google it unfortunately.

Also, Dump your C and E drive and also burn those 2 to the CD (to keep your own dashboard, UnleashX and your savegames)

luke9511

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hum..
Dumping the key.....
(god this is a long time ago)
EEPROMmagic?
Something similar to that..
Idk anymore, you'll have to google it unfortunately.

Also, Dump your C and E drive and also burn those 2 to the CD (to keep your own dashboard, UnleashX and your savegames)
i don't have any save games so I'm not worried about that, I also checked and under system info in unleashx it shows a hdd key is that the correct one or do I need to still use config magic

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Config magic!
That was the one.

You can try to encrypt the HDD with the key that UnleashX gives you, MAKE SURE YOU TYPE IT EXACTLY LIKE IT'S DISPLAYED!
The key is in Hex so it's 0 to F (0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E,F)
Personally, I'd dump the key and encrypt it with that.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No on at least two counts there -- the USB adapters tend not to support locking and unlocking drives. Similarly even if it was straight through IDE the IDE passthrough options of consumer end virtualisation are not as hot as they might be.

On a different note match up your EEPROM with the serial on the back of the xbox (liveinfo I believe was the program name that can tell you) -- depending upon the setup you did you might have done virtual-eeprom and shadow C so the dumps you might get from normal FTP might not be the ones the xbox actually uses. Autoinstaller deluxe/AID can cut through this.

Also you can test to see if a drive locks easily enough, if it does not lock then it does not lock and if it does then as long as you have the key you locked with (why
DinohScene encouraged safe practices) you can unlock it again. Testing is the surefire way to find out but in the meantime you could try looking it up on http://xboxdrives.x-pec.com/?p=list

luke9511

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
darn ohwell i saw my hdd serial number on the page you listed, now i just need to find a computer with ide port im sure i have one in storage

luke9511

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well the pc I'm using is to old to boot for, USB so I'm back to square one any ideas on how to get it to boot from the cd?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
"and it won't boot"
In what way will it not boot? Does it sit there trying to spin the disc up and then failing, does it just go right to the hard drive, does it boot any other discs?
If it has been sitting in a garage for a while it might be that the lens is covered in dust or the drive has otherwise died, I am assuming you know how to force a boot to another medium going by the other things you said but I have to mention it anyway.

If it has a floppy drive you can also do a jump boot from that and end up on USB.
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16822/boot-from-a-usb-drive-even-if-your-bios-wont-let-you/

luke9511

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok i got the drive formatted etc but i could not lock it cause it said the drive was frozen, i know how to fix this but the computer i used does not have the bios options to do it, so my question is this, is there a way i can hook up the new drive to my xbox and lock it using config magic?

luke9511

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Everything is setup and working perfectly, I used chimp instead as a app on the Xbox itself and just cloned the drive and then I locked it with the motherboard option, but I do have a question, is there a way to have games on drive F instead of E since F has 68gigs of free space

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Congrats on getting it all sorted.

Your FTP program should be able to select the F drive, do make sure to put it in a GAMES folder though otherwise you will end up having to navigate manually and that is no fun. If you are using QWIX or C-Xbox Tool you might have to go into the options menus (advanced I think it was on QWIX and options dropdown -> preferences -> FTP tab on C-Xbox Tool) to select the relevant drive.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Announcer - "Ok folks we have a good fight today, Bakerman takes on Wario. This should be a good...