Hardware HDD SATA power cable coming loose

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, as some of you know, I upgraded my PC recently to a new motherboard, CPU, case, RAM, etc, and it runs freaking amazingly. Blazing fast speeds, loading times, etc, I couldn't ask for a better CPU, however, there is one glaring issue with one of the ways my HDDs are set up.

See, I have a thermaltake Level 20 RS for my case, and it looks great, has two 200 mm fans in front (RGB) and a 140 mm fan in back, airflow is really good, however, the way it sets up HDDs and SSDs is a bit of of a pain, as they're combination bays and some can go on the back side of the case/
Well, I have three 1 TB HDDs and one of them can only fit on the back mount, which is secure and easy to access, however, I firmly believe that the SATA power cable (not to be confused with the thin SATA cable that plugs in the right of the HDD) is loose, and only sometimes gets Windows 10 to detect the HDD. I turned it off twice yesterday, unplugged and re-seated the power cable and SATA cable, and it worked fine for the entire day. But when I booted it up this morning, it's no longer showing up in the BIOS nor in the OS itself, to make it worse, I believe the lack of proper clearance in the back panel are making it a tight fit for the cable management next to my HDD. So that when I close it, I kind of have to push the SATA power cable to the side as I close the panel; I think there's too much cable slack and it's not getting enough room to plug in properly. Has anyone had this issue? And if so, is there a way to force the power cable to stay firmly in the drive? The SATA cable itself has a clip, so it is indeed secure, but the power cable is the one giving me issues with the drive, I know the other cables are fine as my other disks are working well.

Or, in a worst case scenario, could be that the HDD on the back drive mount is dying, which isn't surprising given I've had it since 2013, so maybe that's why? I have no way to test it unless I can somehow force the power cable to stay in without it coming loose, I've yet to find a way to replace it without having to redo the entire HDD power cable management, which is a nightmare to redo IMO. Please, and thank you :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Att did offer a $500gc tempting to use it for 6 months and cancel