Hacking Hdd possiblity

Xonix

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iran
I wonder if this can be happen . I mean after seeing homebrew scene on wii , i was so excited that maybe someday someone code a homebrew for wii that can read and write into an external hdd.
If this can be happen we have fully unleashed console. Something like xbox in its own time.
Using external hdd to backup wii and gamecube games then run it from there , installing homebrew , vc and wiiware on hdd , playing media and lots of other great idea.
I think running homebrew from sd card will make homebrew scene like a prison full of limitation . Just think of the amount of data that you can have on a sd card.even if nintendo release an update for wii that make it support sdhc ( that i dont think they do ) think of the cost and its much lesser lifetime . Then again think of the storage that is limited to 32gb . I know every singel of you knows these things better than me but this question was bothering me from the very first moment of homebrew scene that this can be happen ?
Sorry for wasting your time

jan777

motion control..? srsly? so 2008. 3DS is teh bombz
Trophies
XP
Country
might happen

but not seeing it soon

maybe if nintendo releases an update for more storage support ,it will be hacked to load files

maybe just maybe

better pray for it

skawo96

Trophies
XP
Country
jan777 said:
might happen

but not seeing it soon

maybe if nintendo releases an update for more storage support ,it will be hacked to load files

maybe just maybe

better pray for it
I doubt that Nintendo release an update to add hdd compability. It would be like
"Here, write a homebrew to load isos"

...maybe

BigX

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I think its technically possible.
But keep in mind, what options for hackers and "bad boys" come with such a feature and whether this could affect the companys turnover.
If the danger lowering the turnover is to high, this is not gonna happen.

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Uh.... you guys are a little behind in the times...

For one, there's WiiFTP, which allows you to access the SD card remotely. Then, if you're still not satisfied, there's a file manager that supports USB Mass Storage.

Get a 2GB SD card, load up as much as you want, and then load the rest on an external drive.

What more could you possibly need?

skawo96

Trophies
XP
Country
Sir-Fritz said:
Their gonna have to think of something soon though as most people have run out of room.
They problably add something to store VC on SD cards and play them normally

And teq. We are talking about Nintendo updates now.

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
skawo96 said:
Sir-Fritz said:
Their gonna have to think of something soon though as most people have run out of room.

Nintendo already stated that they had no intention of expanding the available storage for Virtual Console and WiiWare titles. They are satisfied with the fact that you can backup titles to an SD card or redownload them on the fly. Like Microsoft, they have a strict adherence for WiiWare data size, so you'll probably never see a game surpass 50MB.

Let's get real here -- you guys are thieves. You don't buy VC or WiiWare titles, so you have no reason to complain. Since you already use the Wad Manager, adding a few more steps to manage your data won't kill you.

skawo96

Trophies
XP
Country
teq said:
skawo96 said:
Sir-Fritz said:

Nintendo already stated that they had no intention of expanding the available storage for Virtual Console and WiiWare titles. They are satisfied with the fact that you can backup titles to an SD card or redownload them on the fly. Like Microsoft, they have a strict adherence for WiiWare data size, so you'll probably never see a game surpass 50MB.

Let's get real here -- you guys are thieves. You don't buy VC or WiiWare titles, so you have no reason to complain. Since you already use the Wad Manager, adding a few more steps to manage your data won't kill you.
Thanks for that, I have 3Wii Ware titles bought, 2Nintendo 64 games bought and 4 Nes titles bought, and I will buy Mario RPG soon. I have only 3 games that are 'thieved', and they are custom wads. Thanks for that, really.

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Prime said:
Nintendo stated that they are working no the space issue but the solution won't be a Hard Drive.

It would be my guess that they're going to expand their servers and start streaming VC titles instead of installing them. You'll have the channel on your system, but you'll have to download the rom each time.

The only system I could see suffering is the N64.

zidane_genome

My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
First off, there already is a way to read WADs and such from USB drives (Hard Drives and Stick Drives), but currently only able to use USB1.1 standards. That's really slow (1.5MB/sec). Now, imagine trying to load an ISO, such as Brawl... you could start the loading, get in your car, drive to a store 30 minutes away, buy the game, drive home, and just be in time to see the opening movie finish!

All the major Wii hack teams have already said they aren't going to even TRY to look for a way to SoftMod a Wii because pirating is bad. And no, none of the major teams released the VC stuff (at least not the channels you have to pay for, only the Injected Channels).

Would I love to see a SoftMod for the Wii, YES! OMG YES!!!11oneONEone! Do I think it'll happen this year? Hells No!

We all know 512MB is not enough for us pirates, but do what you can to make as much room as possiable, and here are some suggestions;

Don't install VC titles. Get the HomeBrew Channel, and keep the ROMs of the games on your SD card and play them with emulators! Your looking at at least 300Meg free that way!

If you don't need the MarioKart/WiiFit channels installed, DON'T! Keep them off your system unless you REALLY REALLY like them.

Do you need EVERY WiiWare title? No! Keep the WAD's on your SD card, and keep the WAD manager loaded in HBC! Just remember to backup your save file before you uninstall a channel!

If you follow that, you should always have a minimum of 200-400 blocks free on your Wii!

Until USB2.0 is unlocked in the Wii (2.0 is 60MBytes/sec), I do not see a WiiLoader, SoftMod, or anything to allow you to play backups from anything other than a modchip and a DVD disc.

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
skawo96 said:
Thanks for that, I have 3Wii Ware titles bought, 2Nintendo 64 games bought and 4 Nes titles bought, and I will buy Mario RPG soon. I have only 3 games that are 'thieved', and they are custom wads. Thanks for that, really.

If you have them all installed at once, I'd say that doesn't warrant a complaint over lack of space.

I doubt you play them all consistently and could spare a WiiWare title if you wanted to download a couple more VC titles.

See? Space is not an issue.

skawo96

Trophies
XP
Country
zidane_genome said:
First off, there already is a way to read WADs and such from USB drives (Hard Drives and Stick Drives), but currently only able to use USB1.1 standards. That's really slow (1.5MB/sec). Now, imagine trying to load an ISO, such as Brawl... you could start the loading, get in your car, drive to a store 30 minutes away, buy the game, drive home, and just be in time to see the opening movie finish!

All the major Wii hack teams have already said they aren't going to even TRY to look for a way to SoftMod a Wii because pirating is bad. And no, none of the major teams released the VC stuff (at least not the channels you have to pay for, only the Injected Channels).

Would I love to see a SoftMod for the Wii, YES! OMG YES!!!11oneONEone! Do I think it'll happen this year? Hells No!

We all know 512MB is not enough for us pirates, but do what you can to make as much room as possiable, and here are some suggestions;

Don't install VC titles. Get the HomeBrew Channel, and keep the ROMs of the games on your SD card and play them with emulators! Your looking at at least 300Meg free that way!

If you don't need the MarioKart/WiiFit channels installed, DON'T! Keep them off your system unless you REALLY REALLY like them.

Do you need EVERY WiiWare title? No! Keep the WAD's on your SD card, and keep the WAD manager loaded in HBC! Just remember to backup your save file before you uninstall a channel!

If you follow that, you should always have a minimum of 200-400 blocks free on your Wii!

Until USB2.0 is unlocked in the Wii (2.0 is 60MBytes/sec), I do not see a WiiLoader, SoftMod, or anything to allow you to play backups from anything other than a modchip and a DVD disc.

I like Mario Kart Channel. I don't have Wii Fit. But about emus you are right. But I still have *checks* 487blocks.

Teq, I don't have them all in Wii menu, I just bought them. But I have the biggest ones: Sin and Punishment, Paper Mario and I'm playing them. And I have only 487blocks ~ 2N64 games ~ 4SNES games ~ 8NES games. And It was an respond for 'thieving' games. I have 100 wii points right now. I had 8000.

jan777

motion control..? srsly? so 2008. 3DS is teh bombz
Trophies
XP
Country
ph34r.gif

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
zidane_genome said:

It isn't going to happen.

The way Starlet loads prevents any sort of "softmod". You're going to have to physically modify the system before that ever sees the light of day.

USB2 won't be enabled until they have a peripheral that needs it. Rock Band could possibly enable it.

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jan777 said:
seriously teq dont you have to be a troll somewhere else?
does all your posts have to contradict somebody else's post?

Jan, fuck off. You're doing more trolling than I am, following me around and bitching about my posts.

If someone posts something agreeable, I have no problem saying so.

This thread, however, is about people complaining that they don't have enough space for all of their VC titles. 2GB SD cards exist for a reason.

skawo96

Trophies
XP
Country
teq said:
jan777 said:
seriously teq dont you have to be a troll somewhere else?
does all your posts have to contradict somebody else's post?

Jan, fuck off. You're doing more trolling than I am, following me around and bitching about my posts.

If someone posts something agreeable, I have no problem saying so.

This thread, however, is about people complaining that they don't have enough space for all of their VC titles. 2GB SD cards exist for a reason.
Well, can you don't double post and flame everybody? I have 2GB card. And what? Every time I want to play Paper Mario I have to copy back and forth from system to sdcard about 250blocks? Right.

My previous post was only reply for 'thieving' VC games. Really I have 100WiiPoints. I had 8000.

skawo96

Trophies
XP
Country
Shinster said:
I have 10000000 wii points. Really.
Yep, right, for sure, of course.
Strange is that you can have up for 10 000.
Thanks for joking about me. I was buying the VC games before WADS were out.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/9kE3Env_2AY?si=Bs6lUZ0ZIlqmYaGT