Hooya

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hacked Wii with all the HackMii stuff, cIOS d2xv7 and all that. Using USB Loader GX. Western Digital MyBook 1TB drive.

Here's what will happen:
Load the Wii, go to the USB Loader, look around, maybe update my covers or title database. Play a game or not, doesn't seem to matter.
Do a full shutdown.
Start Wii again.
USB Loader freezes before accessing the hard drive. Unresponsive Wii, so 5-second press power down.
Try to turn on the WIi again, nothing. Just black screen, doesn't get to the launcher menu at all. Unplugging the HDD allows the Wii to power up again

Solution: run a file system check on the HDD. Then it'll work again. But not for long.

So it looks like a file system error on the single FAT32 file system is locking up the entire Wii system, even from booting.

Any thoughts on why this keeps happening or on how I can prevent it from happening more? Can I switch from FAT32 to NTFS (or better yet, EXT3, since I'm a Linux user)?

Thanks.

RchUncleSkeleton

Skeletron 9000
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I dunno why it would do this, maybe you need to rehack the Wii.

What about the SD card you have? Are the files on it corrupting?

I've been using a Fat32 formatted WD Elements SE 500gb drive for over a year and have never run into this problem, although I use CFG USB Loader and I highly recommend it over USB Loader GX.

Perhaps the drive is faulty, try using a different USB cable for the drive...I've experienced problems on a friends Wii before because of a faulty USB cable.

It's not the fact that you're using FAT32, it may just be corruption or a faulty drive or cable. Have you tried reformatting the drive but still using FAT32 file system?

Also you may want to check out the Compatibility List for USB Devices here: http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/USB_Devices_Compatibility_List for your hard drive in particular.

Hooya

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I've been using this HDD for quite some time now, at least 3 years, and this particular problem never happened until this week, and it's happened three times now. Maybe the drive is going bad, but I doubt it, WD drives usually hold up really well over time. It's not that old of a drive.

It's not the SD card. Removing it doesn't change anything.

I'll try swapping out the USB cable though. I have plenty to try... although I've been using this cable for a while I think.

Unfortunately I don't really have anywhere to put all the files on this drive. I'd need more than 500MB free somewhere and I just don't have that free on my computer right now. I'm helping a friend with their Wii, so maybe I'll take the opportunity with their USB drive to copy everything I have over, and then format, and re-copy my stuff at that time.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: who's up for rating and showing some playlists? https://gbatemp.net/blogs/blog/playlist-rating.5153/