Hacking Question HDD External for Sx OS compatibility ?

robertus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi guys,

i want to store my games in hdd external with Sx os.

But i don't understand if i can use an hard disk with more 2tb, like 4tb or 6tb without auto power, so usb port is safe.

There is a list of hdd external for sx os compatible ?

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For 2.5 HDD you would want to use a Y cable to supply additional power, keep in mind larger your XCI collection on the drive, the longer the scan.

robertus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
For 2.5 HDD you would want to use a Y cable to supply additional power, keep in mind larger your XCI collection on the drive, the longer the scan.

i wish to use 3,5 or 2,5 hdd external without autopower to keep safe usb port.

but more than 4tb works? in extfat right?

and there is a compatibility list? to buy a model that works for sure ?

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: robertus

snoofly

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You can use WD My Book up to 10Tb formatted as exfat successfully but there appears to be a file size limit imposed for mounting custom xcis > around 3Gb with SX Installer.
Not tried it with regular trimmed xcis as yet.

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can use WD My Book up to 10Tb formatted as exfat successfully but there appears to be a file size limit imposed for mounting custom xcis > around 3Gb with SX Installer.

why would you use exfat when the switch has poor exfat drivers, use ntfs.

i have a usb hd dock and have multiple 500gb drives and fit all my xci's on

i wish to use 3,5 or 2,5 hdd external without autopower to keep safe usb port.

but more than 4tb works? in extfat right?

and there is a compatibility list? to buy a model that works for sure ?

you have to use a usb drive that has its own power, the switch cant provide enough power for the console and a usb hdd at the same time.

i am pretty sure there is a size limit and that the drive has to be partitioned if its too large it wont detect it.

the scan doesnt take that long, usually once its done it doesnt have to scan again unless youve added more it takes prob 2 mins

robertus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

You means about SuperXCI ? with update and dlc inside in one xci ?
Or also in general, with game with size more than 3gb ?

We can simply not use Sx Installer and user "Album", or i'm wrong?

Maybe Sx Installer have a better GUI anyway, i know, doesn't exist others gui ?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

why would you use exfat when the switch has poor exfat drivers, use ntfs.

i have a usb hd dock and have multiple 500gb drives and fit all my xci's on

you have to use a usb drive that has its own power, the switch cant provide enough power for the console and a usb hdd at the same time.

i am pretty sure there is a size limit and that the drive has to be partitioned if its too large it wont detect it.

the scan doesnt take that long, usually once its done it doesnt have to scan again unless youve added more it takes prob 2 mins

thanks, i'll try with a 4TB WD hard disk with Box USB 3.0 Loetad. I hope that works.

Last edited by robertus,

julienbdes

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Seagate backupplus external 2tb in Exfat or Ntfs cant remember , xci working with few Superxci. No issue so far. The hard drive disconnect after some times if your switch go inactive...Otherwise, powered only with USB, no y cable or external power source

atlboyz_247

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On a related note, does anyone here have the same issue with SXOS not loading up the games (randomly) when selecting them through the Album from the ExtHDD. Sometimes (either from a fresh boot or switching between games) after selecting the game, I have to go back into the album and reselect the game multiple times before it will load (if ever for some).

robertus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
On a related note, does anyone here have the same issue with SXOS not loading up the games (randomly) when selecting them through the Album from the ExtHDD. Sometimes (either from a fresh boot or switching between games) after selecting the game, I have to go back into the album and reselect the game multiple times before it will load (if ever for some).

isn't good :(

stephrk398

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seagate backupplus external 2tb in Exfat or Ntfs cant remember , xci working with few Superxci. No issue so far. The hard drive disconnect after some times if your switch go inactive...Otherwise, powered only with USB, no y cable or external power source
Same. Is there even a single report of a burnt-out USB port with self-powered portable drives? Been using one since day one without issues. I've seen talk about it but not a single confirmed report. Just did a Google search. Did the fear migrate from 3DS era or something?

murpcsm48

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For the Nintendo Switch with SX OS latest version beta, can you use an external hard drive formatted as NTFS?

I have read on here you can, is it an option or not?

robertus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
For the Nintendo Switch with SX OS latest version beta, can you use an external hard drive formatted as NTFS?

I have read on here you can, is it an option or not?

Hi man,

i have tried, some people here suggest to me to use NTFS for external drive in SX OS.

Well, i have last version beta of SX OS, my switch is on 8.1.0 Exfat drivers.

SD Card on fat32.

Loetad External Box - WD RED NAS Version 4TB - No way in NTFS, works only in exfat.

I really want to use NTFS, but doesn't works.

I have tried also with others box case and hdds, no luck, maybe ntfs isn't supported, but i don't know why some people say that works, for me, not :(

fadafwet

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You can use WD My Book up to 10Tb formatted as exfat successfully

Really ?
I have 2 differents WD My book of 3 TB size formatted in exfat that still wont work with SXOS (scan forever)
I am still hoping for them to get better support on those hard disk
I was only able to make it work with a small 250 gb disk

robertus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Really ?
I have 2 differents WD My book of 3 TB size formatted in exfat that still wont work with SXOS (scan forever)

I see that in NTFS my WD 4TB Red Nas Version, get scan forever in sx os.

Formatted in exfat, works like a charm.

Try to format it with another software, or windows 10, or Easus.

snoofly

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Really ?
Sorry but not sure why that is happening.
Didn't do anything fancy, just formatted to exFAT in Windows and copied a few xcis over and they load instantly.
I had a problem with some custom xcis as it appears they aren't supported, some work, some not, but regular xcis every one however large mount instantly.

robertus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Sorry but not sure why that is happening.
Didn't do anything fancy, just formatted to exFAT in Windows and copied a few xcis over and they load instantly.
I had a problem with some custom xcis as it appears they aren't supported, some work, some not, but regular xcis every one however large mount instantly.

I have tried some custom xci, build by me.

So a game with update and dlc in one xci, made with NSC Builder. And seems that SX OS, recognize correctly. (MK11 and others, for example, MK11 is very large)

snoofly

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have tried some custom xci, build by me.

So a game with update and dlc in one xci, made with NSC Builder. And seems that SX OS, recognize correctly. (MK11 and others, for example, MK11 is very large)
Interesting. I’ll give it a go with one that’s giving me problems.
Yeah I don’t reckon size is issue after all as huge regular xcis mount fine.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night