Custom Title
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
leic7 said:
Ah, so I guess it'd be pretty difficult to actually edit the ID in the location it's stored. =( It'd be nice to be able to at least mask or fake it though. Oh well.
There's no reason to mask/fake it. That's only making TT's job harder when you have several IDs for one Wii.

SanGor

Witchhunter
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
you guys are idiots, you can do nothing with the Console ID except uniquly identify a Wii.
You can't use it to buy stuff, or anything else.

it's almost like a MAC address and I don't see anyone complaining about that though every packet your Wii send/recv includes it.

leic7

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I was trying to avoid continuing my previous argument (user's choice), but unfortunately this is still about that issue at the very heart of it...
Okay, since I brought it up again, I might as well now... lol

What exactly is the information useful for? Will HBC's integrity be compromised if not everyone chooses to volunteer that information to TT? If someone just wants to use HBC to run apps, but doesn't want to volunteer their information, they can't do that by default. Why is that? Why is this information so important to the usage of HBC that it's either "send it over" or "no using HBC" at all? Why exactly can't this process be optional?

elimist

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SanGor said:
you can do nothing with the Console ID except uniquly identify a Wii
Thats exactly why people are scared. They are afraid that Nintendo can use it to find people that use homebrew.

QUOTE(SanGor @ Aug 19 2010, 04:07 PM) it's almost like a MAC address and I don't see anyone complaining about that though every packet your Wii send/recv includes it.
well, the mac address is not something people call unique. It is changed all the time to avoid bans, and have you ever noticed the mac address section of your router config?

ps: has anyone else noticed that SanGor has "Administrator" below his user name but he in in the "Members" group? It has to be against some rule to act like an admin...

SanGor

Witchhunter
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Those game patches don't really change your MAC at all they just patch the MAC the game gets when asking for it.
Also a MAC should be unique and unchangeable.

But what do you mean by people are afraid that nintendo could identify you running homebrew via the console id??

There is no public database where people can look up what Wiis run the HBC and btw nintendo is deleteing "homebrew" for some time now.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
leic7 said:
Were those posts deleted because they talked about the location of the console ID? Sorry I'm late to the party so I must've missed that. I'm actually curious to know where one can find the console ID...
They were deleted because it actually was off-topic. Oh well, it's interesting info nonetheless, and you guys just seem to love talking about it, so I'm not gonna remove those other posts too.

Just try to not do too much off-topic
wink.gif

elimist

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SanGor said:
Those game patches don't really change your MAC at all they just patch the MAC the game gets when asking for it.
same thing. the point is that you are not banned anymore.
QUOTE(SanGor @ Aug 19 2010, 05:12 PM) Also a MAC should be unique and unchangeable.
it should but it is not.

lazor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
elimist said:
SanGor said:
same thing. the point is that you are not banned anymore.
QUOTE(SanGor @ Aug 19 2010, 05:12 PM) Also a MAC should be unique and unchangeable.
it should but it is not.
except you can't change the mac address, only spoof it.

mha_

Trophies
XP
Country
hdhacker said:
marcan_troll said:
That's a bit of a stretch, it would take quite a bit to convince a judge to make us hand over private identifying data on a private server related to a private application over to Nintendo. FWIW, the server is in Sweden and under our direct physical control (it's at mha's house, not a datacenter - although his house is probably close to being one
tongue.gif
)

Heh. You're right that it's a stretch, but didn't the Swedish authorities raid the PirateBay servers even though they had no real legal standing?

One idea to obfuscate the ID would be to put it through a one way hash like SHA1. That way you can keep unique statistics without storing the actual IDs. Now I realize that the IDs probably aren't random so if the search space is limited, it would be trivial to generate a database of hashes in order to do a reverse lookup. If there is more than one fixed serial number in a wii, that would raise the complexity of the hash so it couldn't be determined as easily. Maybe the ID plus the bytes where there are factory bad blocks on the NAND.
smile.gif

All the servers hosting any sensitive information or potential sensitive information. Or heck. Any information of any value at all at my place is of course stored on servers running full disk encryption. Even on the root partition. The servers will not boot without a sekkrit password. :-)

Besides, I don't think that nitnty can credit stolen information from us to be a warrant for positively identify that a console at some point have been running some form of homebrew. How do they without a doubt prove that we (or someone else spoofing an entry!) didn't just fake your entry to frame you?

As for hashing the console ID with for instance SHA1, while this in theory would be a good idea, it's too easy to make a rainbow table or brute force the very short console_id just because of the length.

hdhacker

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mha_ said:
As for hashing the console ID with for instance SHA1, while this in theory would be a good idea, it's too easy to make a rainbow table or brute force the very short console_id just because of the length.

That's what I said. That's why combining the ID with another independent fixed piece of info unique to each Wii raises the complexity to the point where that kind of attack isn't feasible.

Liberty

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I don't know why they're behaving aggressive and arrogant. I asked them something on HBC/Sneek-compatibility and they were just like: "Fuck off blah, not our problem, we're so elitist".

Codify

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
SifJar said:
Codify said:
leic7 said:
I'm on 1.0.6 and have no intention to update, everything I'm interested in trying works fine currently, and the new updates don't actually make things work any better. But I guess I'll start treating HBC updates like I treat Nintendo updates now, after seeing this over-controlling attitude in the recent move. Just because there's a new way of doing certain things doesn't mean you have to limit/remove people's options for doing things the old way. Geez, just let the user choose what he/she wants to do with their apps.
Yep, I don't know why they became self-appointed piracy cops
angry.gif
Uh, have you READ the thread?
Nope. I hadn't.
blush.gif

But now I have
yaywii.gif

I deleted the 'moronic' post

marquesduarte

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Can anyone help me?
I have installed IOS58 with Wad Manager to install the HBC 1.0.8 and everything runs fine until i try to run any app that uses IOS58...
I'm getting an code dump screen, DSI exception with many numbers on it...
I can't install IOS58 with the tantrics installer because my Wii isnt connected to the internet.
Can anyone solve this problem?
I have asked this question in other page, but the discussion here is taking another path

BBking83

Trophies
XP
Country
Wow. I haven't been here in ages.

But I'm wondering, how can this be installed on fresh 4.3x? Just SmashStack and IndyPwns? They were the only ways of launching HB, last I heard.

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
BBking83 said:

But I'm wondering, how can this be installed on fresh 4.3x? Just SmashStack and IndyPwns? They were the only ways of launching HB, last I heard.
Yes. that's the temporary way for now.

icecold

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
BBking83 said:

PAL: IndyPwns and Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's Wheelie Breakers
NTSC-U: IndyPwns and SmashStack
NTSC-J: Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's Wheelie Breakers
NTSC-K:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @AncientBoi, Meds time!