Hacking Question Haven't touched my switch since 8.0.1, need to update Kosmon and OFW. Where do I start?

SpartanG01

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My switch is currently on 8.0.1 and Kosmos, whatever the version was that started supporting 8.0.1 but I have a couple games that won't run/install. How do I go about updating the OFW and then CFW without losing anything? Also is Kosmos ideal? Should I be using stock Atmosphere?

bad361

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Kosmos or Vanilla is up to you, there's almost no difference between them since Kosmos is Atmosphere with some preinstalled stuff. So if you want to be fed by others, use Kosmos, if you want to do everything yourself, use Vanilla Atmos i guess. As for your questions, just update to the latest FW with choi, update all cfw files and sig patches if you need them, nothing special. And also no point in creating a thread for this question....

SpartanG01

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kosmos or Vanilla is up to you, there's almost no difference between them since Kosmos is Atmosphere with some preinstalled stuff. So if you want to be fed by others, use Kosmos, if you want to do everything yourself, use Vanilla Atmos i guess. As for your questions, just update to the latest FW with choi, update all cfw files and sig patches if you need them, nothing special. And also no point in creating a thread for this question....

I've asked in the Subreddit, Discord (2 of them), and the help thread and no one has responded. Last time I did this updating OFW or CFW could pretty easily brick a system so I wanted to make sure, I have no idea what choi is but I'll google that. Thank you.

bad361

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
I've asked in the Subreddit, Discord (2 of them), and the help thread and no one has responded. Last time I did this updating OFW or CFW could pretty easily brick a system so I wanted to make sure, I have no idea what choi is but I'll google that. Thank you.
Updating? Brick? Huh, what? I think you got misinformed pretty heavily. Sure you can brick your switch if you install some dirty custom update that was made by someone specifically to brick your nand if that's the case. But if you are not stupid and use files from trusted sources, nothing will brick your switch, esp if you have a nand back up.

Last edited by bad361,

SpartanG01

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Updating? Brick? Huh, what? I think you got misinformed pretty heavily. Sure you can brick your switch if you install some dirty custom update that was made by someone specifically to brick your nand if that's the case. But if you are not stupid and use files from trusted sources, nothing will brick your switch, esp if have a nand back up.
The last time I really messed around with it my switch was on 6.something, it was less streamlined back then. Anyway, I got Choi, I get the idea here but you still need stuff which I can't find on bins. DU is down as well apparently.

Last edited by SpartanG01,

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Reactions: grcd

SpartanG01

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well if you wanna go clean first then. Delete Atmosphere and the Sept folder.
Download the latest Kosmos - https://github.com/AtlasNX/Kosmos/releases
Download ChoidujourNX - https://switchtools.sshnuke.net/
Get the Firmware files (Google it)
Get signature patches for Hekate - https://github.com/Joonie86/hekate (Kosmos_patches_03_15_2020_bootconfig_tinfoilv8+.zip is the recommended one)

Boot your Switch, install the latest firmware via ChoiNX (9.2.0 Exfat)
Done!
Got the FW. I forgot about the sigpatches thank you.

Evildood

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Linuxares beat me to it, however I would suggest doing a clean atmosphere and steering away from pre packaged deals like kosmos, its not hard and there are simple guides to follow the tldr is delete everything on sd excluding nintendo folder unzip the atmosphere release to sd then use hbstore to download brew and apps. first though depending on the games you want to play if you go into hbstore and download iTotalJustices sigpatch updater you might be able to get away with that otherwise follow linuxares instructions and have fun.

grcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Well if you wanna go clean first then. Delete Atmosphere and the Sept folder.
Download the latest Kosmos - https://github.com/AtlasNX/Kosmos/releases
Download ChoidujourNX - https://switchtools.sshnuke.net/
Get the Firmware files (Google it)
Get signature patches for Hekate - https://github.com/Joonie86/hekate (Kosmos_patches_03_15_2020_bootconfig_tinfoilv8+.zip is the recommended one)

Boot your Switch, install the latest firmware via ChoiNX (9.2.0 Exfat)
Done!

Is ExFAT now recommended over FAT32? Also, is it recommended to go to the latest firmware? (Genuinely just asking)

Gammazeth

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Shouldn't he disable his themes first? I forgot if it is needed when performing a system update or atmos update

Evildood

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Id also recommended flat out removing themes if you use em, yeah its nice but thats the only area Ive had issues in so far, caused a bootloop one day outta nowhere and caused me an entire day of anxiety attacks, it was a simple fix but everything gave me issues and I had to update everything in a way I wasnt familiar with (using the usb mount tool in the tegrarcmgui to delete theme folder works best lol) but mounting it and finding that fixing one thing broke other things I just went fresh vanilla atmo and built my own from there.

Fat32 is all there is forget the rest exist.

Last edited by Evildood,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Att is displaying prices like it's an ingredients list now lol