Hacking Haven't logged in for a while, was about to order a Gateway. Should I wait?

knexkid

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi everyone,
I've been out of the loop for a while as my 3DS has been gathering dust. I was about to order a Gateway the other day and figured I'd log in to see what was new. First I was surprised to see that a bunch of clones have came out since I last checked in, but my bigger concern is about this whole bricking thing. I've been trying to catch up on it, but it just ended up confusing me.

Am I safe to order a gateway now and use it? Should I wait for some update? I read something about I should be using an older firmware version for the Gateway? Games I plan on playing with it: Zelda Link Between Worlds, Paper Mario, Adventure Time game, Regular Show game, and other Mario Games. I have no interest in Pokemon and I don't use the eShop, if that matters.

Thanks!

redkeyboard

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you have to have a flash cart there doesn't seem to be anything else that seems to be as promising as Gateway. As long as you use 2.0b1 all games (except Animal Crossing and Pokemon) should work and you'll be safe from bricking. Multirom is supposedly going to come out (but it's been ages since the announcement) and it's possible that might remove the bricking code but don't count on it.

If you get an r4i deluxe (GW Clone), you can still play all those games safely as long as you find and use their 3.0 FW, which is based on 2.0b1. Don't expect any updates from them though.

CraddaPoosta

Sepatown, my damie.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The bricking fiasco is overhyped. I've been running my Gateway on 2.0b2 for over three weeks now, without a single major issue. At the last count, there were something like 11 total confirmed bricks out of several hundred Gateway 3DS owners. You have less than a 5% chance of bricking.

I am not in any way saying that you WON'T brick. I know how serious this issue is for those who DID wind up with a brick. Just offering my experience as a word of caution against believing all the negative publicity about bricks. It's been massively exaggerated, mostly by people who don't even own a Gateway 3DS cart.

Reactions: Yessy

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
If you're not hasty you can wait for the inevitable softmod to be released, which will be free, better and no bricking. It'll probably take a long time before someone can be arsed to make it though.

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
If you're not hasty you can wait for the inevitable softmod to be released, which will be free, better and no bricking. It'll probably take a long time before someone can be arsed to make it though.

softmod, not bricking? how do you know the dev just doesn't add brick code for the lulz? unless its open source and every good dev check and see... if its not open source... and it bricks, oh boy.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
softmod, not bricking? how do you know the dev just doesn't add brick code for the lulz? unless its open source and every good dev check and see... if its not open source... and it bricks, oh boy.

Only assuming the hacker wants to get back at others for stealing their work, at least people won't have to spend $80 for a bricking device ;)

opnr2000

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have been on the fence about ordering a gateway too.

I am not even sure which of the resellers will have legit gateways. where is everyone ordering their gateways from? I noticed that modchip direct is on the resellers list, anyone have any experience from them?

koruwa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Picked up a 3DS this last Sat, and ordered a GW through realhotstuff. It should arrive sometime this week

Huntereb

Trophies
Website
lewd.pics
XP
Country
United States
You can order a Gateway, but stay away from 2.0B2 to avoid destroying your console and having to go through a costly and time consuming method of restoring it.

The free softmod that enables piracy isnt coming, it will be homebrew only

Nah, eventually it'll come. It always does.

Tranman409

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey OP, I was in the same situation. I managed to buy a 3ds XL from a nice couple on craigslist with 4.4 firmware and ordered my gateway yesterday. I tried to order from modchipsdirect but my credit card company blocked the transaction because their merchant that takes CC are outside the US. Too much of a headache to call CC company and allow the transaction. I checked the gateway website and notice a reseller that nobody talked about "Tech Update". I emailed them and got a response within 15 mintues that they ship out of New York. I placed my order with PAYPAL and my order was shipped in a few hours. They seem to be a new store and simply sell gateways. I will post back to see if its a genuine card(must be if gateway lists them as their site). Also when I placed my order, I got an email and must have been their 10th customer overall so they must have not been busy. I wonder how long they last since they only accept paypal and you know how sites end up when they go the paypal way with flashcarts....now the only thing im doing now is finding a legit download for "
  • Launcher.dat v2.0b1 = bf354d2616601715ee10269bb6dcda8d" because gateway doesnt host it anymore. Sorry for the long post
I'm so surprised that I was able to order a gateway that fast and have it in my house within 2 days.
http://i.imgur.com/GJuiEAM.jpg

knexkid

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the info everybody. I'm ordering one from RealHotStuff right now. I'm tempted to save $20-$30 and go with a clone, but I figure that GW is most likely have to come out with any updates. I appreciate your input guys.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The free softmod that enables piracy isnt coming, it will be homebrew only
Yup. It may not be coming any time soon, but eventually someone who doesn't care about enabling piracy will create one. Give me one example of when the tools were there but a free backup loader never appeared.

misterb98

Moral Gateway User. Wat.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey OP, I was in the same situation. I managed to buy a 3ds XL from a nice couple on craigslist with 4.4 firmware and ordered my gateway yesterday. I tried to order from modchipsdirect but my credit card company blocked the transaction because their merchant that takes CC are outside the US. Too much of a headache to call CC company and allow the transaction. I checked the gateway website and notice a reseller that nobody talked about "Tech Update". I emailed them and got a response within 15 mintues that they ship out of New York. I placed my order with PAYPAL and my order was shipped in a few hours. They seem to be a new store and simply sell gateways. I will post back to see if its a genuine card(must be if gateway lists them as their site). Also when I placed my order, I got an email and must have been their 10th customer overall so they must have not been busy. I wonder how long they last since they only accept paypal and you know how sites end up when they go the paypal way with flashcarts....now the only thing im doing now is finding a legit download for "
  • Launcher.dat v2.0b1 = bf354d2616601715ee10269bb6dcda8d" because gateway doesnt host it anymore. Sorry for the long post
I'm so surprised that I was able to order a gateway that fast and have it in my house within 2 days.
http://i.imgur.com/GJuiEAM.jpg

Gateway still does host it. Copy the link for 2.0b2, and change the url to 2.0b1.

FrankVVV

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
The bricking fiasco is overhyped. I've been running my Gateway on 2.0b2 for over three weeks now, without a single major issue. At the last count, there were something like 11 total confirmed bricks out of several hundred Gateway 3DS owners. You have less than a 5% chance of bricking.

I am not in any way saying that you WON'T brick. I know how serious this issue is for those who DID wind up with a brick. Just offering my experience as a word of caution against believing all the negative publicity about bricks. It's been massively exaggerated, mostly by people who don't even own a Gateway 3DS cart.

You think that 5% chance of bricking is no big deal? I really don't want to take that risk. I'm ready to buy a card, but I'm waiting this one out hoping all will be OK later. I really do not trust the brick code. I have used a lot of microSD cards the last few years. 3 of them have gone bad (real Sandisk ones). If a corruption would happen on a mircoSD that's in one of these card, you would be in trouble.

CraddaPoosta

Sepatown, my damie.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I ordered my Gateway from 3ds-flashcart.com. Took 22 days to arrive. I will likely never order from another overseas vendor again. But, no issues with the Gateway 3DS card, itself, so it might be worth it in the long run.

You think that 5% chance of bricking is no big deal? I really don't want to take that risk. I'm ready to buy a card, but I'm waiting this one out hoping all will be OK later. I really do not trust the brick code. I have used a lot of microSD cards the last few years. 3 of them have gone bad (real Sandisk ones). If a corruption would happen on a mircoSD that's in one of these card, you would be in trouble.

I think that less than a dozen bricks out of hundreds, if not thousands of Gateway 3DS users, is such a small number that no one should be sitting here fanning the flames and trying to scare everyone out of buying a card that has a very, very low chance of incurring any kind of problems.

Not saying it isn't serious, and never once said it wasn't a big deal. Don't put words in my mouth; I made myself pretty clear.

Yes, SOME people have bricked using Gateway cards, among others. But, are there enough confirmed bricks to scare you away from buying a flash card for your 3DS in the first place? Nah. If nothing else, as has been stated already on this and other topics, just don't update to 2.0b2 if you're that worried. There ARE safer versions of the official Gateway firmware than the buggy 2.0b2.

Smidget85

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm in the same boat as the OP. Was going to go legit but it's hard to say "no" to flash carts when it pays for itself in 2-3 games. I do have a few retail games to play before going this route on my other 3DS including Fire Emblem so I think I'll just wait until I'm through the backlog and hope that a softmod solution presents itself. Just putting my 2 cents out there.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'm devastated