Hacking Haven't done 3DS homebrew since ironhax, need advice

SamusAranX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I used to have an Old 3DS and way back when it was still possible, I used ironhax and tubehax to use small homebrew apps and emulators on it.
Yesterday, I bought a New 3DS on 11.6.0-39E.

I checked 3ds.guide and it seems that for 11.6, boot9strap is the new hotness.
The site also said I'd need a flashcart. I have a Supercard Dstwo, but that one's not featured in their fancy table.
Do I really need another flashcart or is the one I have sufficient?

Also, is SysNAND/EmuNAND fuckery still required? That stuff goes right over my head.
Unless it is positively, absolutely required for homebrew usage, I don't want to touch any of that.

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used to have an Old 3DS and way back when it was still possible, I used ironhax and tubehax to use small homebrew apps and emulators on it.
Yesterday, I bought a New 3DS on 11.6.0-39E.

I checked 3ds.guide and it seems that for 11.6, boot9strap is the new hotness.
The site also said I'd need a flashcart. I have a Supercard Dstwo, but that one's not featured in their fancy table.
Do I really need another flashcart or is the one I have sufficient?

Also, is SysNAND/EmuNAND fuckery still required? That stuff goes right over my head. ,--
Unless it is positively, absolutely required for homebrew usage, I don't want to touch any of that.

Unfortunately on 11.6, you'll need a flashcard from the chart. One can be ordered for less than $20 At nds-card.com. It's has been said the NTRBoot team was trying to get the SC DSTwo to work but that all I heard about it. EMU Nand is NOT required anymore unless you want to run GATEWAY flashcart.(not recommended) There is a way out there, unsupported, to use an ARDS wihch can be purchased at Gamestop, to install B9S.. but you'll need a modded 3ds to Flash the Action Replay..

BTW, I saw your post claiming you read the guide, but then you asked a question that was clearly answered inside the guide as the topic of your thread. I don't believe you comprehend the guide so I linked it.. I almost regret responding to your question as the GUIDE answers it and there is at least a billion threads here already on the topic. I was trying to be nice. I don't care that you can't read search results. You attitude is crap and you question gets a new thread every 3 minutes. And I was actually trying to help you. Never mind. Thanks for reading.

Last edited by mikefor20,
Reactions: lordkaos

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the more detailed answer. :D
Guess I'll get myself one of those flashcarts and follow the guide, then.

More smugness.. IF you read the guide, it IS the MOST detailed answer. By far. It's not as simple as what cartridge you need. You must prepare the device with a hacked console. Or you'll need a preflashed card like the ACE3dSx. You should READ and UNDERSTAND the whole guide. Which would answer your initial flashcart question and your emunand question as well.

emuNAND is basically a way to “dual boot” your 3DS into 2 firmware. an older firmware (such as 9.2) which is the real firmware on your console, and the latest firmware (e.g: 10.3) is a “fake” firmware to access the latest official Nintendo features from your older console.

^^^I googled "3ds what is EMU nand?" <---- search engines are easier than new threads.

Since the b9s is running on current up to date firmware safely EMU nand is not required. The guide covers it. Luma DOES support EMU nands btw. They are useful for a few reasons...

ARDS is at gamestop. $25. and you get it today. If you have access to a hacked 3ds, You can hack it today.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-ntrboot-for-r4igoldcc-ards-ez-ardsi.483802/

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
right here ntr boot pre flashed. Even comes with a magnet.
https://gbatemp.net/review/ace3dsx.667/

Ahh, a link to the Flashcard I mentioned earlier.. There are few pre flashed flashcards out there. R4 B9S, ACE3DSx etc etc, They in general are not readily available and are more expensive. You can do the same thing cheaper with a R4I Gold RTS....

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@mikefor20 Its around $18-25. Around same price as other flash cards. Seems cheap. And it has you covered with a pack in magnet.

CLOSE to the same price. Plus with new carts,availability is usually dodgy and who knows the quality/reliability. ACE team is good, but good teams put out shit carts too and I personally can't vouch for the preflashed variety or their ability to run NDS roms well. I can say for certain the Cart I mentioned works 100% AND is about $5 dollars cheaper. (25% of cost). And everybody has a fucking magnet. R4I Gold RTS is a good cart and a good recommendation. I know it works well for NDS roms too. Only time will tell on the newbies. IDC what people say, today's cool gem can be tomorrow's brick. And the DS scene had a TON of garbage. I like tried and true in my slot.

No.
Cards that natively run on 10.6 (that is, without whitelist patch/CFW) can also be flashed out of DS mode on a non-hacked console.

True, good looking out. R4i GOLD RTS sounds good.

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@mikefor20 I don't carry magnets with me. Well I guess the free fridge magnets that I get would work. I got one from pizza hut.

Exactly. Everybody has magnets. They are everywhere. Where do you want to hack the 3DS? I bet I could find a magnet with minimal effort almost anywhere that I wanted to hack. Plus carrying a magnet around with your electronics is generally not considered a great idea. Also, the magnet and switching in between "NDS and 3DS Mode" is not worth a 25% price increase to me.

I have magnets and a free payload called NTRflasher..

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@mikefor20 Especially around crt's. I use to fuck up my school computer screens with magnets. Good times.

FLASHBACK. Showing your age with that post.. I mostly did that on every screen before flat screens. Mostly.. Memories.. SD cards are not fans of magnets, and I bet the 3ds would benefit greatly from having a rare earth magnet stored next to it!l

SOLD for 5 extra dollars!

LOL Sign me up for the quality, supply chain and distro issues that plague most new flash carts!

At the $25 pricepoint you can go to GAMESTOP and buy a ARDS, ARDS EZ or ARDSi and just use that, today right? Today at the same price. My GAMESTOPs have a ton of them around here. No reliable NDS loader for it though that I know of.. But hacking your new toy today.

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
@mikefor20 Hey, I'm not that old, it was from the early 2000's. Im a 90's baby born and raised and manufactured in the U.S. of A.

Crt's are tha bomb. I got me a free pvm. Combine that with a colorimeter and calibrate grey scale to accurate industry color standards and bam, i'm in old school gaming heaven.

Yo, 5 dollars is chump change. Im sure the op is like scrooge mc duck and diving in a pool of money and suffocating to death.
Its probably why he can't read properly. Theres no oxogen going to his brain.

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@mikefor20 Hey, I'm not that old, it was from the early 2000's. Im a 90's baby born and raised and manufactured in the U.S. of A.

Crt's are tha bomb. I got me a free pvm. Combine that with a colorimeter and calibrate grey scale to accurate industry color standards and bam, i'm in old school gaming heaven.

Yo, 5 dollars is chump change. Im sure the op is like scrooge mc duck and diving in a pool of money and suffocating to death.
Its probably why he can't read properly. Theres no oxogen going to his brain.

The 90's.. class of '96. WOW. 5 dollars is not a lot of money, true. But it's still a rip off.

I see support for DSTT is in progress. Good cart. $7, Easy to get.

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FWIW flash memory isn't affected by magnets. Really the only computer device particularly sensitive to outside magnetic fields in common use today are magnetic hard disks.

Right but is carrying a magnet around with your system potentially harmful? Sure. Are you positive the 3DS wont have an issue? Especially after you forget the magnet is there for a year or two?There are lots of things around us everyday that aren't so good with magnets. Including shitty Chinese pot metal used in cheap electronics. Do you need to carry one? No. Is it worth $5? No.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-