Hacking Have I just discovered something new about the Backup Loader?

Zeldafanzero

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok, so I burnt a copy of my PAL Red Steel game. I'd patched the .iso with the ISOPatcher and set it to "249", but it refused to boot in the Gamma Loader and instead just showed a "Licensed by Nintendo" logo and then after a few seconds reset the console.

I put in the Red Steel disk (The one which I'd dumped my .iso from) to make sure it was ok and that there wasn't anything wrong with the disk.

The game played fine.

I then removed the real game and put the back-up back into the console.

After messing about in the Gamma options for ages trying to make it work, I eventually did from the normal Wii Disk Loader channel, but I wasn't sure what I'd done.

It turns out it was the Red Steel (original) disk being in the machine previously which made it work.

This defeated the point of having a back-up, however.

I then tried the swap-disk method with another original game I had from around that time: Twilight Princess.

Success!

So basically, my backup of Red Steel was refusing to boot, but did when I followed the following steps:

1) Insert Twilight Princess.
2) Let the Wii Menu recognise the disk (So it shows the Twilight Princess logo in the TP window).
3) Load Gamma Back-up Launcher (I did it from the Homebrew Channel).
4) Swap Twilight Princess for my backup which didn't boot normally.
5) Pressed B to return to the Wii Menu.
6) Ran normal Wii Disk Channel.

...And that's all there is to it.
biggrin.gif

I'm not exactly sure what this means for anyone else, but it might help anyone who's had trouble booting IOS-awkward games.

w_n_s

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
does the original NEED to be the same game as the backup? i.e. did you try loading the TP original, but then try to launch the Red Steel backup??

MikeyTaylorGaming

YouTube Glitcher
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
w_n_s said:
does the original NEED to be the same game as the backup? i.e. did you try loading the TP original, but then try to launch the Red Steel backup??

what?

read the thing, he says he used TP then put in red steel so no it doesnt need to be the same game as the back up by the sound of it.

i dont however know if he used a backup tp because he never mentioned it. could be a main factor of this though.

drougnor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Zeldafanzero said:
5) Pressed B to return to the Wii Menu.
6) Ran normal Wii Disk Channel.

...And that's all there is to it.
biggrin.gif

I'm not exactly sure what this means for anyone else, but it might help anyone who's had trouble booting IOS-awkward games.

See, this is the main point that shows that it IS the backup loader working, and not a true 'disk swap'. When you push B to reboot in Gamma, it doesn't do a STRAIGHT reboot back to the Wii menu, but it does reload with the configuration 'hooks' that allow the Disk Channel to 'see' the backup data as a game disk.

If you were to try the disk swap without loading the boot loader at all, it WILL fail.

I'm betting that if you boot into the bootloader with an empty drive and do the 'Push B to reset' trick and then insert the backup data when you do reboot, you'll get the same result.

d

Zeldafanzero

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The Twilight Princess I used was an original, NOT a backup, but I have since managed to do this "trick" using a BACKUP of Super Mario Galaxy instead of TP.

I put in SMG, loaded the backup loader, swapped my backed up SMG for my backup of Red Steel, and only then would the game boot.

If I "reset with hooks" without having TP or SMG in first, Red Steel would get stuck at the "Licensed by Nintendo" screen.

drougnor said:
I'm betting that if you boot into the bootloader with an empty drive and do the 'Push B to reset' trick and then insert the backup data when you do reboot, you'll get the same result.

I didn't mean "swap-disk" as in a new way of booting backups, I just meant "swap-disk" as in "Swapping SMG for Red Steel to get Red Steel working" USING the backup loader.

drougnor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the clarification. I'm going to have to test this at home as I have a couple of disks that should be working, but aren't.

d

digitydogs

404 Error: Member Not Found
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Quick note for when a game gets "stuck" at the licensed by nintendo screen or the wiimote screen, take out your wiimotes batteries and then press a a few times and the wiimote will re-sync and kick the game in. Works for the one or two games i have that become "stuck" also if the nunchuck is plugged in, unplugging it and plugging it back in will normally work as well

Edit: DUH
oh yeah don't forget to put the batteries back before pressing a.....

Zeldafanzero

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
digitydogs said:
Quick note for when a game gets "stuck" at the licensed by nintendo screen or the wiimote screen, take out your wiimotes batteries and then press a a few times and the wiimote will re-sync and kick the game in. Works for the one or two games i have that become "stuck" also if the nunchuck is plugged in, unplugging it and plugging it back in will normally work as well

Edit: DUH
oh yeah don't forget to put the batteries back before pressing a.....

That's quite interesting as one of the things I noticed about the game was that the Wiimote went weird (I think it just suddenly dropped dead when I booted the game), so I'm pretty confident this all ties in together. Cheers.

SirSweeps

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I just wanted to let you know that using this method in conjunction With Ios Patcher has allowed me to play a majority of my backups that I couldn't get working otherwise.
My Method is as follows:
(I have only tested using 1:1 Backups)

Pre Set up:
Assuming you have already created an iso of said game,
I generally follow by using ios patcher on "Problem Games"
My general experience is that games tend to have a better chance of loading with Gamma if they are forced to use
Either ios30 or ios33
(I could not get Animal Crossing to work without first forcing the ios to 33 and then using the below method)

Instructions:
1) Can be done two ways:
1a)Insert Original wii game (doesn't matter which one so long as it is real and not a backup) and let the disc channel recognize it.
1b)Insert a working backup and start gamma using reloader and let the disc channel recognize it.
2) Start wii gator Backup Launcher Gamma
3) At the launcher screen eject original (or working backup as in 1b) disk and insert problem backup
4) Press B to start reloader
5) Ta-Da, Backup now works via Disc channel where it would have previously failed.

Notes for clarification:
original Wii game = Any commercially/store Bought game
Backup = any 1:1 copy of any game

drougnor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tested things out on my end and am still unable to play Castlevania Judgement and Wall-E. It also could be bad burns, but I'm currently low on dvd's to retry. I'll be getting more soon, however.

d

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Why does everybody patch to IOS 30? Do you know what you are doing with this? Did you try a 1:1 burn WITHOUT patching, i guess this should work as good as the patched to IOS30.

IF YOU PATCH THE ISO, PATCH TO IOS249! (or wherever your cIOS is installed to)

SirSweeps

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Look I just posted what Works for me ...
and it always has worked for me ...
I always Burn 1:1
No region frii or Wii Brick Blocker or scrubbers
I only have backups of games I own that I Made by myself

And please inform me as to why I need to patch to ios249 in order for it to work? In my experience it always Works with ios 30 or 33.
and besides on wankiko's readme says to patch to 30 or higher for 3.X

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
When the game is IOS patched, it thinks the version numer you entered is the IOS it wants. If a game restarts his IOS for whatever reason it restarts this IOS. If you run the game with a backup launcher you want it to restart IOS249 in this case, because IOS249 allows backups, all others not. Oh, Waninkoko released the patcher before the backup loaders, it's original purpose was for modchip and region free users to skip updates they didn't want, that's why the readme says patch to IOS30.

Posts merged

SirSweeps said:
[...]I always Burn 1:1
[...]
In my experience it always Works with ios 30 or 33.
[...]

Sorry i don't understand.

PS: Try the game(s) you didn't get to work with patching to your cIOS (in most cases IOS249)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv6vlP2qSyo