Has anyone tried coldboothax?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by TheZander, Nov 14, 2016.

1. TheZander
    OP

TheZander member

Feb 1, 2008
    United States
    I haven't seen anybody post first impressions. I was curious if anyone got a DS game and did the cfwbooter hack on it, then edited that xml file to see how they liked it.

2. CatmanFan

CatmanFan Merry Christmas New Year.

Aug 14, 2016
    Morocco
    I haven't tried it. Also, you know coldboothax has a risk of bricking your Wii U right?

3. ThatNintendoNerd

ThatNintendoNerd GBAtemp Regular

Feb 13, 2016
    United States
    A Cartridge
    @NexoCube did. He ended up bricking his Wii U. If you want to try this, practice on redNAND first.

NexoCube likes this.
  4. Chakratos

Chakratos GBAtemp Regular

Aug 17, 2015
    Gambia, The
    There was a video somewhere around here of someone showing it off

5. ThatNintendoNerd

ThatNintendoNerd GBAtemp Regular

Feb 13, 2016
    United States
    A Cartridge
    OK, well someone did do it...

CatmanFan likes this.
  6. Reecey

Reecey Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)

Mar 7, 2010
    At Home :)
    I never knew it was even possible to do? I checked a thread it seems you need a ds vc game on your wiiu menu, that's all I know at the moment but it also seems like Brain Training DS VC might actually be worth using!. The video looked interesting.

Last edited by Reecey, Nov 14, 2016
  7. TheZander
    OP

TheZander member

Feb 1, 2008
    United States
    ya you get the ds game and make it load a cfwbooter app. which normally would just sig patch you and thats it. but all coldboothax is (from what i see) is editing an xml file that says the wiiu should auto load the wiiu menu title. instead you change that to kirby's title id and the wiiu automatically should play kirby when you boot it I think. But your kirby rom is actually not a rom but a way of booting cfwbooter then you are automatically sig patched at boot I gues.s

Reecey likes this.
  8. KevinX8

KevinX8 Proud user of The Dark Theme

May 12, 2016
    Down there
    GUYS DO NOT USE COLDBOOTHAX quick start is actually FASTER and it those not LOCK YOU OUT OF SYSNAND

Pecrow and ppeterr like this.
  9. halloworld

halloworld Member

Newcomer
    Jan 7, 2016
    Gambia, The
    quick start?

10. NexoCube

NexoCube stop using piracy :(

Nov 3, 2015
    France
    Stack Pointer
    So, to clarify, I'M SO FUCKING TRIGGERED BECAUSE I BRICKED MY WII U WHILE TRYING TO EDIT THAT SYSTEM.XML (trying to install coldboothax)

So please, don't try installing coldboothax please --> or brick ;)

NutymcNuty likes this.
  11. KevinX8

May 12, 2016
    Down there
    ikr go to system settings>standby options>enable both quick start and standby functions BOOM coldboothax sans a dead sysNAND

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Dude you should be the mascot for the forgotten quick start menu, it actually beats coldboothax in boot time speed and still lets you access sysNAND and is brick free #NEXOCUBE4QUICKSTART

NexoCube likes this.
  12. Reecey

Mar 7, 2010
    Thanks that explains it a little more to me. I was googling it but I cant find a method on doing it, it just seems very up in the air from Smea at the moment.

13. KevinX8

May 12, 2016
    Down there
    WHY YOU BE SILLY Don't do it! There is a reason everyone has removed mentions of it, its a terrible implementation as it locks you of sysNAND never letting you mod it again and quick start is better like I mentioned before so just use that

Last edited by KevinX8, Nov 14, 2016
    Reecey and NexoCube like this.
  14. NexoCube

Nov 3, 2015
    France
    Stack Pointer
    ehe, i agree

Reecey likes this.
  15. Reecey

Mar 7, 2010
    Its ok, thanks for the advice I wasn't going to do it I would not be that silly! I was just talking out loud, I don't suppose I could even do it even if the instructions where black & white in front of me. I shall wait for something a bit more concrete. If @NexoCube says no, as well, up above then I definitely wont be doing it!

Last edited by Reecey, Nov 14, 2016
  16. TheZander
    OP

TheZander member

Feb 1, 2008
    United States
    How does it lock you out of sysnand? I can see it would be tricky if you coldbooted into redNAND but I'm sure there are ways to interact with the sysNAND again. But just a plain modded fw.img for sysNAND booter would still have you in sysNAND and would let you change the xml again at your will.

17. KevinX8

May 12, 2016
    Down there
    Nope as I explained elsewhere once the fw.img is done patching sysNAND it calls to boot homemenu. homemenu=default title=haxchi yeah you can see where this is going. the only way to reverse it is to call homemenu by title ID instead but none has made a fw.img that those that yet

18. xtheman

xtheman GBAtemp Guru

Jan 28, 2016
    United States
    It sets the haxchi title as the homemenu. That means you can't boot homemenu

19. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    if you use coldboothax (edit of system.xml) to load a VC game at boot, and you don't have the fw.bin on your SD card (or no SD card inserted), what will happen? it just loads sysnand?
    if not, there's no way to load sysNAND at boot and bypass the custom fw.bin
    Or maybe you have to put the official unpatched fw.bin to load sysNAND? or it would still reload the VC again like said 2 post above?

20. NexoCube

Nov 3, 2015
    France
    Stack Pointer
    Don't try to install coldboothax (by the system.xml way, wait until another bug is discovered)

It won't even let you open the Wii U Quick Start menu so please don't mess with that or you Wii U will become an useless brick :/ (can't even being used for construction purpose :/ )