has anyone every made something like this

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones and Media Players' started by Dominator211, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Dominator211
    OP

Dominator211 JFK's Jelly Donut

Oct 15, 2016
    United States
    New York
    OK im causally sitting doing my homework when i think of the next million dollar idea what is i made a health app the user puts in their health data and the app rewards them with points with these points the user can buy gift cards for their favorite stores such as amazon or steam. This will combine the aspects of those apps the require you to download apps to get points. i have just texted my friend that has made a mobile app himself dont you guys think this would be a great idea for an app if it doesn't already exist

2. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein Professional asshole at GBATemp

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    I don't understand the business model.
    How does the company get profit.
    Actually, how does it get funds to cover the cost of the gift cards.
    The user only inputs health data to get points, the amount of points is not proportional to the advertisement it consumes I suppose, and thus it is not proportional to the income from the app for the company.
    How does the company obtain the money to cover the gift cards then?
    I suppose perhaps it is by selling the health data?
    How can you convince buyers of the data that it is profitable to data mine health data from users of the app?

3. Dominator211
    OP

Oct 15, 2016
    United States
    New York
    you asked like 10 questions at once most of witch dont even seem like questions at all

4. Anunnymous

Anunnymous Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 27, 2007
    United States
    Or for that matter. What's keeping me from telling the app that I worked out today or lost 5 pounds when I actually haven't? You'd have to have hardware to go along with it, such as a FitBit, but you can even cheat those.

5. sarkwalvein

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    Ok, so you didn't think about the business model.
    I think that kind of app may be impossible to sustain, that is the reason I asked you about what was your business model.

6. Dominator211
    OP

Oct 15, 2016
    United States
    New York
    its called devlopment i would work on it stupid head i would make it so the user could not maipulate it

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

F
    FORGET i said anything this tread is stupid

7. Anunnymous

Anunnymous Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 27, 2007
    United States
    That's not development. That's just being naive. Anything that can be cheated, will be cheated. We're just throwing out theoreticals for you. We're not even being assholes. If you can't handle constructive criticism, you probably won't make it to market.

Sticksandstones likes this.
  8. sarkwalvein

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    Mmm... kay?
    Erm... I was just asking. No offense intended.
    Perhaps there is a way to pull it through, it is just that I didn't see it so I was just asking what was your plan.

9. Devin

Devin "Local Hardware Wizard"

Aug 17, 2009
    United States
    The Nexus
    A more sustainable idea would be a fitness tracker. Have users input their weight, count their steps using their phone's pedometer, have them apply any weight changes. Show progress bar, etc. Pay them a fraction of a penny each day. Payout at $5 only. How do you make the money?

Ads, ads in their face. Subscriptions to access more features. Avatars to show their weight changes. (With optional avatar clothing. That they can buy with "fitness points"™.)

(This idea is trademarked. Will let you use it for 40% cut of all profits. :tpi:)

Last edited by Devin, Apr 5, 2017
  10. Seliph

Seliph Scion of Light/Orphan

Jul 11, 2016
    United States
    Somewhere in Jugdral
    Sounds alright but the other people who have commented on this thread have valid points.

11. Dominator211
    OP

Oct 15, 2016
    United States
    New York
    I would. Fix all of this and probably use the phones built in pedometer

12. Youkai

Youkai Demon

Jul 1, 2004
    Germany
    Germany , NRW
    this reminds me of a friend whose only books were "how to get a million dollar without working" and no they were not about bank robbery but about such awsome ideas, creating a company and having others work for you ...

only problem about this is that it hardly ever works out, especially not like this.
    Usually if you have a good idea you need to thing about a lot of stuff like mentioned above "how do you want to earn the money for the giftcards" plus how do you want to get money for yourself and your company ... plus at least in the beginning you have to work soooooooo much that you don't have a life anymore until you earn enough to pay people to do your job.
    (if you could sell it very early that might be another thing)

----

you could probably add a commercial video before beeing able to enter any new data which would earn you money, maybe enough to survive but than again why would anyone want to use it as there are lots of apps like this only without the reward system

Last edited by Youkai, Apr 6, 2017
  13. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ I drool on my knife

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    So I can just lie to an app and get free moneys? Seriously, this idea wouldn't last more then a few weeks. There would be no way to meet the demand and anyone could lie about their results. You would basically be spending more money to keep it up or make it completely full of ads, with a paid service added onto it. Even then, you would be losing money.
    Pokemon Go + Joystick.

Last edited by Lilith Valentine, Apr 6, 2017
  14. DinohScene

DinohScene Dino May Fire

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    People filling in surveys are tools.

BORTZ likes this.
  15. BORTZ

BORTZ "Another stunning Van Gogh"

Supervisor
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    There are already tons of apps like this on the Play store. Most of the require a fitbit or steptracker equivalent to track your exercise. Most of them require an insane amount of steps or "award" one lucky walker with a lottery system every so often. It is not a great business model.