Has anyone bought, and received an R4 from Shoptemp?

iamthemilkman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RupeeClock said:
iamthemilkman said:
Same design and firmware, but the cart is being manufactured somewhere else. Damn, they're good! Clone.
tongue.gif
By definition, I'm not sure if you actually can call it a clone.
Think about it, if they really are designing it to exact specification of the original, then they HAVE the specifications, and the rights to produce them.
If it were a clone, it would try to make it as close as possible to the original, but there would be some very subtle or minor differences, that set them apart.

I'm not seeing that difference.

You've got a point. I hear the build quality is actually pretty much the same. I guess I'll see when the R4 "original" arrives.

Escape

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Using the new firmware now.
It looks pretty good- just like the AK, but with less features of course.
It's quite annoying that I gotta rename my save files to .nds.save, or else it will just start a new game - and it's not possible to change it from the DS, unlike the AK.
Also, can't seem to see the cheats with the black (plain) skin unless I highlight them, though I can see them perfectly fine with the Zelda skin.
I do like it more than the YSMenu that's for sure, so I'm quite happy with it
smile.gif

Blastoise

Trophies
XP
Country
Escape said:
Well, I'm not sure about this one, but I still have an original R4 which I bought over 3 years ago.
Damn it was expansive at the time... bought it from amazon for like 40 GBP.

I got my R4, 4 years ago for $80 AUD but it came with a 2GB micro SD reader.

Escape

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Escape said:
Using the new firmware now.
It looks pretty good- just like the AK, but with less features of course.
It's quite annoying that I gotta rename my save files to .nds.save, or else it will just start a new game - and it's not possible to change it from the DS, unlike the AK.
Also, can't seem to see the cheats with the black (plain) skin unless I highlight them, though I can see them perfectly fine with the Zelda skin.
I do like it more than the YSMenu that's for sure, so I'm quite happy with it
smile.gif

Oh, it also seems like cheats don't work at all.

*Edit: Cheats work, my bad.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Costello said:
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=220136
just answered the question here ^
Yup, when I asked they checked for me, all the models.

Admin AdminHello,

we have just confirmed that this product is compatible with WoodR4 :-)
The other ones though (R4 SDHC, R4i SDHC, R4i Gold) aren't.
We will be updating our product pages with this information as soon as possible.

If you check the R4 at shoptemp now, it has info about Wood R4.

431unknown

VR Gaming Enthusiast
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Any of you guys or gals that bought R4's off of shoptemp did you recurve the USB micro sd reader with yours? I ask because on the product page it says it comes with one but I didn't get any yesterday when I opened my package (there should have been 4 ). I bought theese to give away as gifts and it kinda sucks since you need that adapter to put anything on the micro sd.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It took a while, thanks to that Volcanic ash cloud, but I got my R4DS from shoptemp.

As far I can tell, it seems to pretty much be an authentic unit just like the one I bought years back.
If it is a clone, then it's a very, very good one, and a highly acceptable substitute.

It runs Wood R4 1.06 fantastically, all the games I tried just perfect. It might just be my imagination but Soul Silver seemed to run marginally better than on the retail cart!

The microSD adapter that came with it though, is pretty piss poor, I advise getting another, it's too slow.

So that's that, I got my answer. Shoptemp's R4DS is a great flashcart for those who can scrape up $14.

canderousa

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For anyone that cares, the spec for these "original r4 clones" are exactly the same as the actual original from years ago. Factories are pumping them out to the original spec. If that's still considered a "clone" then that's just dumb.

Just because the original team disbanded doesn't mean their work suddenly vanishes. Their engineering work, design, etc is STILL being produced. To me, this "clone" is just as good as the original.

See a thread of mine earlier comparing Original R4s to these "clones":
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=170621&hl=

hunnymonster

Trophies
XP
Country
RupeeClock said:
Looking back, I paid something like $80 for my original R4, wowee.

I just saw this... hope they were HK dollars - I got my R4 fairly soon after they came out and it was no more than about US$25

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_NTF5_qgH0o