• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 987
  • Replies 8
  • Likes 2
D

Deleted User

OP
who here has a guilty hardware pleasure? like what kind of weird setups do you like to do that would be far from common

for me, i really like messing around with shitty low end stuff from 2005-2009 and seeing what kind of modern shenanigans and games i can run on them, one of my favourite examples is running gta 4 on an intel GMA 965/x3100, or trying to get minecraft with shaders to work on these things. i've successfuly done so as well btw

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am not even sure how to define a guilty hardware pleasure. Easy enough for films/TV, music, books, games, plays and even whole styles of art (this being things that people you normally respect the opinions of/would seek approval from, or possibly have to exist within the opinions of in the case of some kind of mass media, consider bad or trash but you enjoy anyway). I could possibly even do it for tools too (while I have had plenty of old timers make their lives, and mine, a thousand times harder than they need to be I have also met those that can still achieve spectacular results with things I would only have picked up because I like old techniques). This computing lark is hard though. Software too could be a thing, even though you immediately slam into a use case and skill wall -- (la)tex is an absolute pig but I will go toe to toe with any microsoft word user (any -- if there is such a thing as best at microsoft word I will take them on, and I am by no means anything more than competent when it comes to latex) for things I need to achieve there and expect to win.

At first I wondered if it was some kind of input-output peripheral -- using a track ball mouse or drawing tablet despite neither being ideal for a lot of things. Some people look at me oddly for not using any kind of wireless if I can at all help it (and I can -- I would not have a monitor using radiation to transmit data to me if I could inject it into my optic nerve or brainstem instead... should probably look into a cochlear implant too lest I be a hypocrite) but I mainly look at them as slaves to batteries and fads.

I guess you could find someone that stuck with CRT for reasons other than latency. I had ones until they all died for good mainly as they were nice high resolution (especially when I overcooked it). I have a ps/2 keyboard I guess but the ports are still there and it is a lovely mechanical thing that sounds like an 80s cheesy film person racking a shotgun before the final confrontation so there is that. Anybody still using serial or parallel ports probably has a good reason to be doing so, and their simplicity works well too. I think we hunted down and killed all the computer wild men of the woods that were still using zip drives so there is not that any more. I don't tend to use digital microphones (though that is mostly because I can't get skype to play with the playstation eye microphones) but also don't need quality for what I mostly do. I still use VGA but that is mostly because it is what comes out of the back of my docking station, not to mention it still works.

You say trying to do what you can with older hardware which is something of a time tested trick (Quake providing some early examples but the Half Life and Half Life 2 peeps elevated it to an art form) but I don't know if I would call that a guilty pleasure. That said if "2005-2009" in PCs is now considered old then you have just managed to one up the "bloody hell I am old" stakes, which itself is an impressive feat. This mainly as things kind of stagnated around then for most purposes -- 3d graphics and high end video editing might require the fancy stuff but actually even those are often still good enough for most purposes on older gear, never mind something as banal as internet browsing and office work.

On older hardware still then most times I see that it is because software methods still leave something wanting, usually not for any technical reason other as much as "that'll do" (for an example of the opposite https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea...Valley-quest-to-preserve-Stephen-12759775.php ). Efforts to recreate things (if I am sticking with sound then the soundblaster recreations being a good one here) also serve their purposes.

I am at a loss here really. Not only for myself but even in those others I have observed.

D

Deleted User

OP
I guess you could find someone that stuck with CRT for reasons other than latency. I had ones until they all died for good mainly as they were nice high resolution (especially when I overcooked it). I have a ps/2 keyboard I guess but the ports are still there and it is a lovely mechanical thing that sounds like an 80s cheesy film person racking a shotgun before the final confrontation so there is that. Anybody still using serial or parallel ports probably has a good reason to be doing so, and their simplicity works well too. I think we hunted down and killed all the computer wild men of the woods that were still using zip drives so there is not that any more. I don't tend to use digital microphones (though that is mostly because I can't get skype to play with the playstation eye microphones) but also don't need quality for what I mostly do. I still use VGA but that is mostly because it is what comes out of the back of my docking station, not to mention it still works.
i think some people still use CRTs for the sake of using them, i also heard that colours are really good on them, and they're best for older games

You say trying to do what you can with older hardware which is something of a time tested trick (Quake providing some early examples but the Half Life and Half Life 2 peeps elevated it to an art form) but I don't know if I would call that a guilty pleasure. That said if "2005-2009" in PCs is now considered old then you have just managed to one up the "bloody hell I am old" stakes, which itself is an impressive feat. This mainly as things kind of stagnated around then for most purposes -- 3d graphics and high end video editing might require the fancy stuff but actually even those are often still good enough for most purposes on older gear, never mind something as banal as internet browsing and office work.
I managed to get the latest fully up to date copy of half life 2 right off steam to run on a super low end pc from 2003, which was surprising considering I got roughly 40fps at 1280x720, lowest settings, dx8 mode
honestly super easy tbh

As for "2005-2009" being old, in the scale of how far hardware has come, they'd definitely be considered old, especially closer to the 2005 range, most hardware manufacturers don't keep drivers up for stuff that old anymore, like intel and HP. lucky me that my favourite low end hardware to play around with is intel stuff.
and now combine that with the super memed on "GMA" series, 915, 945, 965, it's super hard to get much running on them

If you want to to have another blast of "jesus I feel old", 2000 is almost 20 years ago :^)

honestly with how much i get stuff running on this kind of hardware i should make a retro modern youtube channel like philscomputerlab or something

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Yup..."hardware guilty pleasure" is the best way to describe my...erm...tendency to tinker with things ("hobby" would be overstating things...I only do it occasionally). As a technician, I'm also the office clerk receiving all the old computers people have traded in for new ones. Reasonable PC stuff simply gets reused, but there's always the really old stuff (ten year old laptops and such) that has "to the dumpster" written on it.

From time to time, I just want to see how far I can get when installing/configuring PC games or linux distros on them. 3D games pretty much always suck terribly (not too surprising, since these are former office PC's), but Indie titles can get quite some mileage (especially if there's a new linux image on it).
Best example was no doubt when I got world of goo working on an abandoned cash register. It ran something of a weird, stripped down version of windows XP, but the touchscreen and the way the thing was set up gave it some charm. Heh...if the loading times of windows weren't so long (up to ten minutes), it could be a pretty sweet weird gaming cabinet.
(note: I'll probably try to shoot for this at some point using a more modern abandoned cash register and a version of android-x86). :P

I managed to get the latest fully up to date copy of half life 2 right off steam to run on a super low end pc from 2003, which was surprising considering I got roughly 40fps at 1280x720, lowest settings, dx8 mode
honestly super easy tbh
So you basically got a game from 2004 working on a PC from 2003? :unsure:
EDIT: as mentioned below: HL2 progressed a lot over the years afterwards, making the statement...not exactly false (half life 2 came out in 2004), but certainly incomplete.

Last edited by Taleweaver,
D

Deleted User

OP
So you basically got a game from 2004 working on a PC from 2003? :unsure:
the engine is completely different, so technically with all the updates it's closer to a 2010 version of the same 2004 game or something, putting it that way makes it sound much less impressive lmao
also keep in mind, radeon 9250 is a fairly shit card even for 2003 standards, doesn't even support dx9

Reactions: Taleweaver

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
the engine is completely different, so technically with all the updates it's closer to a 2010 version of the same 2004 game or something, putting it that way makes it sound much less impressive lmao
also keep in mind, radeon 9250 is a fairly shit card even for 2003 standards, doesn't even support dx9
Ah, ok. Sorry...I honestly didn't know valve made such long term effort (aside bug fixing, of course). :shy:

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I have successfully gotten the black and white version of Tetris for the original Gameboy running at nearly full speed on my TI-84 graphing calculator. It was never intended to run such software. Like, even just last year it seemed like a pipedream. I also love that I can enjoy listening to my FLAC files (with embedded cover art) on my Nintendo Switch. Or the fact that I can abuse my TI-83 graphing calculator to generate noise through the data jack as mono sound in headphones. It literally has no sound chip. I love making original hardware do shit that it was never intended for. I fully modded my iPod Classic to not only have a larger battery, but run from an SD card and RockBox, so I can play my FLAC music without converting my entire library to Apple's stupid ALAC format, or worry about a harddrive draining my battery and possibly crashing the heads if I drop it.

Reactions: Willgheminass
D

Deleted User

OP
Ah, ok. Sorry...I honestly didn't know valve made such long term effort (aside bug fixing, of course). :shy:
mind you it's still the source engine, but in 2013 they changed it to a completely different branch when they came up with "steampipe"

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I have successfully gotten the black and white version of Tetris for the original Gameboy running at nearly full speed on my TI-84 graphing calculator. It was never intended to run such software. Like, even just last year it seemed like a pipedream. I also love that I can enjoy listening to my FLAC files (with embedded cover art) on my Nintendo Switch. Or the fact that I can abuse my TI-83 graphing calculator to generate noise through the data jack as mono sound in headphones. It literally has no sound chip. I love making original hardware do shit that it was never intended for. I fully modded my iPod Classic to not only have a larger battery, but run from an SD card and RockBox, so I can play my FLAC music without converting my entire library to Apple's stupid ALAC format, or worry about a harddrive draining my battery and possibly crashing the heads if I drop it.
thank god for SSDs and <connector> to <memory card format of choice> converters, i plan on buying a bunch of SD to laptop IDE connectors for my various older laptops because i don't trust old rotary hard drives anymore

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill