hardware differences in dsi and dsi xl

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by tsroark, Apr 7, 2010.

Apr 7, 2010
  1. tsroark
    OP

Newcomer tsroark Newbie

United States
    Ok, are the internals (motherboard, CPU, etc) the same between the DSi and he DSi XL? Also, what are the software differences, as in does the XL just say XL in its menus or is it completely different firmware, menu, etc.

I ask because I have a launch DSi and am in envy over the larger size of the XL, and don't have 200$ to drop on an XL.

So what I want to do is replace the screens and case with the XL's.

Even if the motherboard case mounts don't match up I do have a dremel and wouldn't mind modifying the case, my only concern would be weather or not the larger screens work, but since there is a lot of extra processing power in the DSi I think it can handle it.

Tim

2. linkinworm

Member linkinworm GBAtemp Maniac

United Kingdom
    well the motherboard is bigger, id say they have to rework some stuff aswell to apply the correct voltage to the screens as there bigger. its not gona work dude. you would need to extend the ribbon cables. rework the buttons to match up(not easy requires looooooots of soldering) your only gona end up with a broken DSI

3. drag0nzord

Newcomer drag0nzord Advanced Member

United States
    shoulda just sold ur dsi or did the trade-up at gamestop.

4. YayMii

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    1. The DSi XL is 100% identical to the DSi's software (excluding the built-in Brain Age games).
    2. The motherboard is bigger, the power button is bigger, the battery is bigger, etc.
    3. The DSi XL doesn't say "XL" anywhere in the software.
    4. What you want to do is impossible, just go and exchange your DSi for an XL if you want one so badly.

5. tsroark
    OP

Newcomer tsroark Newbie

United States
    All right, thanks for the replies. Although I had hoped someone out there had already torn their unit down and did some testing. I did find a tear down of the XL's hardware and from looking it looks like the only real difference is that the board was expanded to fill the larger area. And it has a different wifi chip and the obvious larger screens and a higher capacity battery.

So it looks like I first have to acquire an XL case and screen set for sizing.
    Then I need to build smaller boards for the buttons, which should be really easy especially if I can find an old game controller.
    Then I need to make some extension cables for power, volume control, on/off, game/SD card slots, etc.
    I will most likely have to rework the XL case so the smaller board fits, so drill new screw holes and add spacers.
    I will call the Nintendo costumer service tomorrow and see if I can get a set of screens and housing. Or are there any recommendations of places that may carry replacement parts?

I'm gonna go ahead and do it, I'll keep a log and if something doesn't work or function as it should I will report why, and hope that no irreparable damage is done, otherwise I won't have a DS.

I'm not going to buy a XL because I don't have 200$ to spend. Even trading it into Game stop it is still 100$ which I don't have. Paying for an Electrical Engineering degree means that I have the ability to build/mod/repair/hack the devices I don't have the cash to buy.

And I think the available colors are crap. And I want to keep my DSiware.